1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Migrate HTML site to WordPress and Database?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Mkcoy, Dec 4, 2014.

Hello all, how can I migrate my old HTML site to WordPress along with the database.

My site is, actually I dont know what software it is. To add new content I must manually insert a new table into the database by phpmyadmin which is a big pain in the !

I want to migrate to WordPress. But I'd like to be able to migrate/copy some of the old database tables columns into the new WordPress database so they show up as posts I can edit from within the new WordPress edit posts page. :)

Can anyone tell me of a good handy plugin that can do this for me? With some input from me of course. Free if possible or reasonably priced anyway. Or perhaps you know of another way around it? I have over 4500 posts to migrate, a 1mb dtb and 4.5 gb's of files.

It's a gaming arcade so they are mostly swf files and thumbs.

Would really appreciate your help and pointing.

Thanks and best regards!

Mike.

Mkcoy, Dec 4, 2014 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is going to take a sec lol.. I would need to see the site. There are a few ways to go about this.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Dec 4, 2014 IP
  3. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mkcoy, Dec 4, 2014 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you may need both of these running on the same server for a bit.. But, I do this sort of thing all the time. I will try to explain.

You will need to extract the relevant bits from the database and likely convert things to a csv file or xml.
    I just used this a few hours ago to import 800 woo commerce products from xml.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-all-import/

Now, a few things. You are going to need to get the csv headers straight first from your initial export so they match what is actually going on in wordpress. That plugin will sorta help map a few things. I suspect categories may be the hurdle here.

I was working with both xml and csv format. Somehow the categories sorted themselves fortunately.

There are a few videos here that are pretty helpful. The free version has some limitations so I had to work at it a bit. The learning curve on the plugin was only a few minutes though.

http://www.wpallimport.com/documentation/getting-started/importing-an-xml-or-csv-file/

that is the gist of how it works. The trick is to get the file up to speed.

You are going to want to use a truncated file regardless and try this with maybe 100 posts or so. This way its not a huge headache to undo things. Which you will invariably have to do a few times.

That should get your started. That is basically how its done but trust me, there are many hurdles to getting to the right file format etc. lol... that is the trick really.

On 800 products and full descriptions, images, price and so takes the importer about 10 minutes to run. I had to make it run a tad slower in the settings as well and go in chunks or the server would time out.

hope that helps a bit,
    Nigel

5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would also suggest open office for the csv stuff ms excel totally blows. I would also suggest something like EM editor which will deal with huge files if xml much better than any thing. That is going to be a pretty huge text file.

N.

6. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Nigel! That WPallimport free version cannot import images as well though. They want $99 for that. Is it your software?
    I cant justify spending $99 on it when my client only giving me £100 to do it for him lol

I done a test import after converting the sql file to csv format.
    Its not showing the swf file (game) and images. Also URL is not the same as well (I guess I will need to use some kind of redirect plugin)
    Eg (I am testing on here first) http://hfg2.hackedflashgames.com/weapon-hacked/ (Original URL http://hackedflashgames.com/game.php?id=5&title=weapon-hacked)

To be honest, I dont think that is going to do it. Not the free option anyway!

Anyone else have any ideas/tips/solutions?

Mkcoy, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hi. I can take a look in a bit but I imported the images as well ;)

N.

Nigel Lew, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  8. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How did you do that with the free version Nigel?
    Its not just that, but its about keeping the same url structure (slug) as well.
    I dont think this plugin can do that as well as they are kinda complicated urls.
    Cheers man.

Mkcoy, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  9. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well the url structure is another animal entirely but I certainly was able to import images. It depends on how you prepared the file. This may require a bit of script fu to get right. I didnt even map the image actually I gave that field a url and it found it on its own.

N.

Nigel Lew, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  10. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm which version you use? Version 3.2.3? On step 3 for the Images tab it says "Upgrade to the professional edition of WP All Import to import images."
    And on Step 4 its saying "Warning: You must upgrade to the professional edition of WP All Import to import images. The settings you configured in the images section will be ignored."
    And also "Warning: You must upgrade to the professional edition of WP All Import to import data to Custom Fields. The settings you configured in the Custom Fields section will be ignored."
    Because I am using some custom fields for the game views etc.

After going over everything again and re-watching instruction vids again had another go and done another import from csv file.
    Dont think I done the category mapping part right. I now have 591 categories all with weird names LOL
    Also images and swf file including embed code was not imported. :/

Back to the drawing board I think!!

Mkcoy, Dec 5, 2014 IP