1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to market a brand new forum?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by seomaker, Mar 26, 2020.

Hi,

I started this new discussion forum after having the idea for it a long time ago. However, I am a little stuck in getting traffic and new posts. I have tried a little bit of Facebook ads - and the jury is still on whether that will work.

The site is https://discussinforums.com

I have experience with SEO but I think the forum needs content to rank, so I am looking for some smart ways to get traffic to the site.

Any tips?

seomaker, Mar 26, 2020 IP
  2. newbie191

newbie191 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think there are a total of 30 posts in your forum? In my opinion first of all you will need to get some content. To get the ball rolling you will need paid posters. Or post yourself if you have time. Your site's interface seems rather dull. I don't think facebook ads will be any beneficial for this type of site.

newbie191, Mar 26, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure that your vision is being clearly implemented. Isn't the go-to forum for a wide selection of topics called Reddit?
    upload_2020-3-27_11-51-44.png

There doesn't appear to be a niche - hell, you're discussing watches and the weather?
    upload_2020-3-27_11-51-14.png

Can you tell us what your idea was, and how you felt you could make your mark?
    What is it that other forums don't do that you felt yours could do?
    What feedback have you had from your family and friends? Are they posting regularly?

sarahk, Mar 26, 2020 IP
  4. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that forums are not as useful anymore as they used to be 10 years back.
    You will need a couple thousand posts "minimum" (2k or 3k), before you can expect any interest from others.
    A lot of incoming traffic to forums is from search engines, and search engine will not rank an empty forum.
    These days google is barely ranking any forum, even ignoring large ones.

I think you are trying to build up a "general" community, and forum script is not the way to do that.

JEET, Mar 26, 2020 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    While it's still new change it to a niche forum. For example, I recently purchased one particular SUV and shortly after purchased it I joined a forum that talks about that SUV, cons and pros, often reported problems, etc. I was able to find a ton of useful info.

P.S. Now that everyone is thinking about working from home, you can try the biz opp niche. TBHWY, it probably won't work, since the niche is packed as it is, but there's no harm in trying. One thing I am certain of, in this current state your forum won't get you anywhere.

qwikad.com, Mar 27, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. Iman Ragheb

Iman Ragheb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I admire your hard work to promote your forum but there are some factors you need to have in mind.

1. Archive: Believe it or not most of the people decide to join your forum based on the archive. Especially a new forum! You have to stand out with a top-notch archive. When you're going to start posting ask a question. "Is this going to change people in some way?" If yes post it. You need to deliver 10X value when you're new to the market.

2. Environment: Forums are some kind of social media on the web. The environment of your forum determines how people will get excited about joining it. Based on your target audience, optimize the environment of your forum. What exactly do I mean by the environment? Everything that can deliver a feeling, an emotion, to your audience is the environment. Maybe it's the friendly atmosphere between members, maybe it's the highly professional sections you made. Optimize the environment, deliver feeling, watch your forum grow!

3. Build a network: Forums are all about networks. Study the power of networks. Study influence, and then you can leverage the power of a good network that can grow your forum, drastically! Give people a reason to share your content. Develop a network of highly connected people. This way your forum Is a more interesting place to spend time on.

There are a lot of factors that I can suggest, but when I first looked at your forum, I felt that there are some fundamentals that need to be optimized, in order to better promote your forum. Spend 80% of your time optimize your forum. I promise you to see massive growth. Peace ;)

Iman Ragheb, Mar 28, 2020 IP
  7. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why you are using only two options "Facebook" "Google" for sign up or login, this can be another blocker to come user and post to your site because your forums is brand new and many people try to avoid these types of sign up due to many online issue. You should add one more option for sign up or login "By Email/User name".

seomanualsubmission, Mar 30, 2020 IP
  8. Randall Magwood

Randall Magwood Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a catch 22. Forums require users to post, but who wants to post on an empty forum? Some people like to create fake profiles at first, fake posts, and then invite others to get in on the discussion.

You should make it also easy for people to sign up. On each page of your forum have the sign up form embedded on each page. Also allow people to sign up using their Facebook account.

And no matter the niche your forum is in, you should be promoting it via social media, email, articles, video, blogs, forums, podcasts, and referrals.

Randall Magwood, Mar 30, 2020 IP