1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to manage VPS

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by saabji, Apr 6, 2009.

hello guys
    i have searched a lot of VPS..
    i am very new to VPS, as i was using shared hosting before.
    i hav chated with lots of vps providers, they said i have to manage vps.. as mostly they are self managed.. .
    how is that..
    i mean how to manage... .
    anybody...

saabji, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  2. norbert

norbert Guest

Best Answers:
    If you want to run a business with it or anything that is related to professional services, I would recommend to hire an admin. You can't just learn in a few weeks how to operate a server, if it's vps or dedicated, doesn't matter, honestly. It 's just too much to know and to consider and to do.
    If you really want to do it yourself, start by reading some good book before you bring your machine online.

norbert, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  3. iBoot

iBoot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if it is cPanel based VPS then our team will take care of it for additional cost

iBoot, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  4. MayurGondaliya

MayurGondaliya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should hire a server administrator. go for total server solutions for managing your server. They are the best and cheap.

MayurGondaliya, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  5. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many provier will offer manage service including in their price. http://www.wiredtree.com is a good complete manage vps provider with ticket response always below the 15 minutes. Wiredtree hosting is boring as the server always works and you dont have to do any technical stuff.

Camay123, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  6. xtreme fever

xtreme fever Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have my web sites hosted at Wiredtree. I've had no problems with there managed services in the past.

xtreme fever, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  7. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes me too, thats why I say boring hosting. Their managed service is top notch, and if you want actions/problems with your server so you can fiddle around, wiredtree will not meet your expectation. They simply just work and their managed support is very good.

Camay123, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  8. Kaoz

Kaoz Peon

Best Answers:
    Kaoz, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  9. Minh Phúc

Minh Phúc Peon

Best Answers:
    Unmanaged VPS helps you save money, i think. My VPS is unmanaged and I see I can manage it in the simplest ways.
    See my post about managing unmanaged VPS: http://webmasters.gspvn.org/virtual-private-servers/how-to-manage-unmanaged-vps/

Minh Phúc, May 8, 2009 IP
  10. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Read, try, read again, try.. It is too much of a headache if you have manage it yourself.. Basic Server Admin is a very easy job... It will save you a lot to headache to do it yourself...

Blogspotter, May 8, 2009 IP
  11. starfall87

starfall87 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have little to no experience with Linux, you probably should start learning Linux before you think about a Unmanaged VPS. There are several managed VPS offers as well as being able to hire an administrator for your server. Obviously this depends on your budget for hosting.

starfall87, May 10, 2009 IP
  12. bratosab

bratosab Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would greatly recommend you get a managed VPS to play around with at first, because going directly to unmanaged will give you some sort of problem that you'll have no idea how to fix (personal experience) + managed VPS's cost only about $10 more than unmanaged, so it's definitely worth it. Managed VPS include software installation by your company, all you have to do is ask (this will save you a LOT of time) and troubleshooting when a problem comes up ;)
    I have dedicated servers with futurehosting, there management is great! I would also recommend wiredtree, they are wonderful with VPSs.
    To manage your own server you will need some experience, so take a computer your not using, put linux and try setting up your own server at home, this is a great way to learn.
    Good luck on making your choice!

bratosab, May 10, 2009 IP
  13. servicedb

servicedb Peon

Best Answers:
    We can manage our VPS's for only €10.00/month, that is no problem. And if you don't need the managed service anymore, you can cancel the management service and continue with your VPS.

You can also order the management service with your VPS and manage it by yourself and if you don't know how something has to be done, you can ask us to do it. Or if something went wrong, you can restore a backup of your VPS (you have to make this by yourself in our control panel, only a few clicks and your VPS is backupped).

servicedb, May 10, 2009 IP
  14. gary4gar

gary4gar Peon

Best Answers:
    For managed VPS, try WiredTree

They offer fully managed service with Cpanel, service is pretty good.

gary4gar, May 12, 2009 IP