1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make sure mysql do not start using SWAP?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by postcd, Jan 22, 2016.

It started to happen on my OpenVZ VPS that from time to time (like maybe 2 times monthly) im getting high swap usage warning (i set it) and see that mysql is using like 500Mb in the swap. I want to ask what steps to do to make sure mysql will not exhaust its memory and do not start swapping to the SWAP?

Another question is how to discover which process, which action forced VPS to start SWAPping, so i can optimize that thing, any monitoring script for this?

postcd, Jan 22, 2016 IP
  2. bjdea1

bjdea1 Member

Best Answers:
    You could try installing iotop - that gives live info on swap usage, you coudl watch its output and determine what's going on.

bjdea1, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  3. InWebKart

InWebKart Peon

Best Answers:
    @postcd you did not mentioned your actual memory of your VPS in question. Let me assume 1024MB of RAM in your VPS for this example.

You mentioned that mysql is using like 500Mb in the swap. Swapping will happen when your application (here your mysql server) wants more memory and your current sytem has no free memory.

You can check "free -m" command to check your free memory. Best practice is to upgrade your VPS with more memory. Or if your budget will not allow for an upgrade, you can avoid the common shared swap by enabling your own swap file.

1. Create an empty big file of 2GB Or 2 times of your actual memory (note the count = 2X1024X1024=2097152)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/some_location_where_you_have_2gb_disk_space/myownswap.swp  bs=1024 count=2097152
    Code (markup):
    2. make this newfile as aswap disk :

mkswap /some_location_where_you_have_2gb_disk_space/myownswap.swp 
    Code (markup):
    3. Activate this swap to your OS

swapon /some_location_where_you_have_2gb_disk_space/myownswap.swp 
    Code (markup):
    4. Make this change permanent :

echo 'swapon /some_location_where_you_have_2gb_disk_space/myownswap.swp' >> /etc/rc/local 
    Code (markup):

InWebKart, Jan 26, 2016 IP
    postcd likes this.