1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Make Sure Idea Isn't Stolen By Web Designer

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by ptwiggens, Dec 21, 2008.

So I have a brilliant idea for a website that is going to absolutely destroy the site currently at the top of the market. The website we are going after is one that everyone here has heard of and probably uses.

Because it's such a big market and the idea is so innovative, I am concerned that web designers that we talk to could steal it and build it.

My question is, do we need to go beyond an Non-Disclosure Agreement to make sure that our idea is not stolen?

Is there a way to patent or otherwise legally protect the idea itself?

Thank you in advance.

ptwiggens, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  2. 120405

120405 Peon

Best Answers:
    Others say 2 brains better than 1 but i say one brain better than any more. And thru my experience, i have found out that if you work on something alone your more likely to see success and in ur case privacy of your idea.

120405, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  3. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    lol I think I may know what your talking about.

A non disc agreement should suffice, however if your really that concerned about secrecy consult an attorney.

hostlonestar, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  4. MelogKnaj

MelogKnaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    NDA haven't had a history of being legally enforceable AFIAK. Pick a quality design company that has a history of client privacy. Also tell them as little as possible, they are just doing the designing, they don't need to know what the site is going to be used for.

MelogKnaj, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  5. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    A NDA is a legally binding contract................

I agree though, go with a company that has a well established history of client privacy and don't tell them anything more than they need to know. You may end up paying more, but, at least you can feel a little better.

hostlonestar, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  6. enrico1999

enrico1999 Peon

Best Answers:
    Patent would be the best protection but a contract is always helpful as well. You should make sure it is clear who owns the code (you) and that they may not replicate,sell or use the code for any other project.

enrico1999, Dec 23, 2008 IP