1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to make home server work with domain name

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by ipodfrik, Feb 21, 2008.

I have a server set up at home on LAN, with ip startin 192.168.x.x.
    and I have a domain name
    I don't know how to make my website appear under actual domain,

if i type the ip address on LAN i can see the website, but i want it to be accessible via domain,

thanks for help

ipodfrik, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  2. shallowink

shallowink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well that won't work. First thing is that 192.168.x.x is a private IP address, not for use on the Internet. So you will have to have some type of NAT working from either a router or another PC with a legit IP address for Inet usage. Second you are going to need a dedicated IP else you will have to adjust DNS with new information each time a new IP is assigned. Could use something like dynDNS if you just gotta run it from your home pc.

shallowink, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  3. ipodfrik

ipodfrik Peon

Best Answers:
    ok,
    i have a static ip address which does not change, and yes i'm getting 192.168.x.x through router, but i can plug the server directly to get the static ip,
    however my question still remains, how can I connect the server to domain?

4. HurryHost.com

HurryHost.com Banned

Best Answers:
    If your ip aint gonna change, create nameserver with your internet IP, and forward the domain on that nameserver

HurryHost.com, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  5. shallowink

shallowink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You go to your domain registar and point the domain to your static ip. Then you are going to have to map the incoming requests on the router to the private IP. Then you have to configure apache(or whatever webserver) to use the domain name. This article covers everything except using a static IP. Which isn't that big of a deal,steps 5 and 6 you would skip by pointing the A record at the registar to your static IP:

http://www.thescripts.com/serveradm...irtual-hosting/app/dynamic_static_router.html

shallowink, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  6. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    Running your own DNS isn't simple. You really need to be clear about how DNS works and make sure everything is setup correctly. There should be at least 2 DNS servers (preferably geographically separate) and have a thoroughly secure configuration. I have 4 DNS servers for some of my domains and they are spread out across the world.

Most people can't do all this so I'd strongly recommend hosting your DNS with your ISP, domain registrar or a third party. They can usually provide a web interface where you can just enter the static IP you have for your server and that should do it.

boltok, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  7. ipodfrik

ipodfrik Peon

Best Answers:
    boltok, can you recommend any good place for dns hosting? thanks!

8. dalem

dalem Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi ipodfrik

Having run a server at home for almost a year on a 20Meg connection maybe I can help.

Get yourself along to Dnsexit.com and open an account, completely free.

Make a record there for your domain name and have it point to the IP address of your router.
    Make sure you tell your registrar where you bought your domain to change the DNS records to ns1.dnsexit.com and ns2.dnsexit.com

On your router configure it to "Port Forward" to your server I think you said was 192.168.x.x.

If you are running apache you will need to configure your "Virtual Host" container ( httpd-vhosts ) usually found in Apache -->> conf -->> extra.

voila !!!!

You are running your server at home.

If you click one of the links in my signature it is on my home server.

It's actually been more reliable than a friends dedicated server that he pays $60 a month for and all it costs me is the price of Broadband connection.

Hope it helps.
    If you get stuck PM me and i'll try to help.

dalem

dalem, Feb 22, 2008 IP