1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to make an animated gif start loop over without refreshing the whole page

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by madmn, Sep 14, 2006.

I created an animated gif that plays for 10 - 20 seconds and stops. I put some text next to it that says "click here to replay". However the only way I can figure out to make the gif start over when you click on the text is to link it to the page the gif is on, which just makes it reload. That works on dsl but with dial up I worry because the whole page has to load again. Is there a way to use some code or something that will make the gif start over when people click on the text that says "click here to replay".

madmn, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  2. surfnearnzone

surfnearnzone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is any procedure to do that for gif's. perhaps you could make a flash animation. Show me the animation. If it is not complex then i might help.

surfnearnzone, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  3. madmn

madmn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the gif I was talking about

http://www (dot) integrity-webdesign.com/clients/street.gif

madmn, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  4. The_FoX

The_FoX Peon

Best Answers:
    theres nothing to do for it - if u made it in fireworks - just select the loop option in the properties window.

to help further - tell me which software u used for this?

The_FoX, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    The best thing is to load the gif using ajax and have the button reload it again using ajax.

mad4, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  6. madmn

madmn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The_FoX

I used Image Ready by Adobe.

Mad4

I have never used Ajax. Do you need to have asp file extention on the page? Do you put a separate .asp file in the folder? Do you knoe of any places to get the code or good tutorials

Thanks

madmn, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  7. Mike S.

Mike S. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A simple way to make the animation loop without noticing a difference in ImageReady is to copy and paste the first frame after the last frame, and go into the Animation Window, and tween it with the Previous Frame (Basically the copy of the first frame) and tween it with how ever many frames you want. The more frames you use for the tween, the smoother the transition, but the larger the file. I hope this works.

I couldn't get the image to load, if I could I would have done it for you myself, but it acts like it doesn't exist.

Mike S., Sep 15, 2006 IP
  8. madmn

madmn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that it wont load because i broke the animation into two small gifs on top of a background to keep the file size down. Basically only the parts of the characters/cartoon that move are gifs, the rest of the pic is a background.

madmn, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  9. surfnearnzone

surfnearnzone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the link is not working. may be you can send me an attachment through pm. BTW why did you put "(dot)" instead of "."

surfnearnzone, Sep 16, 2006 IP
  10. Mike S.

Mike S. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    madmn, if you post up a working link and maybe the psds too, maybe I can try to get it to loop for you. Just send me a PM with the links.

Mike S., Sep 16, 2006 IP