1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to list in Dmoz Directory

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by myindiahub, Feb 20, 2011.

Hey i have very good PR 3 website and i have try to list my website in Dmoz last 6 month but still it not listed in it. what is the main problem please guide me how can submit my site in Dmoz

myindiahub, Feb 20, 2011 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You have already submitted, now you just have to wait for an editor to work through the other submissions to yours.

There isn't a "queue" and different editors have different priorities so there's no way any editor can give you an indication of how long it will take.

If your submission is to the wrong category or is blatantly spammy then the submission may be deleted.

The best way to speed up the process is to become an editor. Even if you don't "work" the same category you'll be reducing the overall pool of submissions and yours will be processed sooner.

sarahk, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  3. Willbilly

Willbilly Peon

Best Answers:
    Truth is Dmoz has lost it's relevance I had one site listed within weeks and another has been waiting two years, a couple of months ago all the dmoz checkers except the one that counts, dmoz it's self, reported the site was listed then after a few days most either say it's not or show a question mark. The thing is the unlisted site gets considerably more traffic and generate much more income, the site perform similar functions and get the same attention from me... go figure. I have recently read a number of horror stories about dmoz editors contacting site owners and asking for bribes... "or else" but I have not experienced this so I won't comment further. However I think it's time that those search engine that use this directory look for a new more effective method.

Willbilly, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    All very fascinating and its been said a million times before... if he wanted that information he could have searched the forum and found it.

Instead he was asking how to get listed... oh yeah, that's been asked before too.

sarahk, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  5. keyideas

keyideas Peon

Best Answers:
    Before submitting in DMOZ, go through the submission guidelines. DMOZ has so many guidelines for submission

keyideas, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  6. Gyanguru Online

Gyanguru Online Peon

Best Answers:
    What above mentioned said is write, but there is no guarentee that they will still list your site

Plus do not go to an SEO company who offers you confirmed listing, after purchasing they will tell you a differnt story

Gyanguru Online, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  7. facetube

facetube Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, so how do you become a DMOZ editor?

facetube, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Press the 'apply to edit this category' button at the bottom of most every page. You will need three sites you have found that fit the category you are applying to edit. Don't pick a tiny category or one with over 100 sites INCLUDING sub categories. Make sure you read the guidelines about how sites are listed, described and what sites are allowed before you chose the three you offer, check your grammar and spelling and above all be honest about any affiliations with web sites that you are affiliated with. Oh and many editors had to apply more than once before acceptance. It's also worth noting it is voluntary and a hobby and you work in your spare time for no payment.

Anonymously, Feb 25, 2011 IP
  9. santanusingh

santanusingh Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also trying last 6 month but failed to listed in DMOZ. Don't know why? :(

santanusingh, Apr 5, 2011 IP
  10. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Nah, you Cheap SEO Service are having problems to get listed too? Hard to believe.

I wonder if your paying clients know that? Well, now thanks to your post they know.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 6, 2011 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Correct. Its called an "unreviewed queue"
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=...=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en___US406&ie=UTF-8

Then again, some refferences within the ODP do leave off the "unreviewed part" and just call it "queue"
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=ae6a11a8e37ea004

So honestly, there are mixed reviews on the correct term to use.

Maybe "ignore list" would work well?

Qryztufre, Apr 7, 2011 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What I meant, though, is that editors work through their queuein different ways. When I was editing I might have a day tackling car yards in lots of different localities, other times I would look for reds, or use a tool to identify the oldest submissions or newest submissions, or the redirects. There certainly wasn't a single queue that held all submissions regardless of category.

sarahk, Apr 7, 2011 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I wasn't actually disagreeing with you... as I do understand where you are coming from in that regard. I didn't work my 'queue' in order, making it less of a queue and more of a random list or group, or something.

Though, many have called it a queue for YEARS and only just recently decided to change it to something else (suggestion pool) which is fine...but I recon, if they are going to change a term, then need to eliminate the term from their site, so when I see 'there is no queue' I like to point out that it's till very much called that :D

14. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most people interpret queue to mean first in first out. It was to disabuse webmasters of this idea that your friendly editors started calling it a suggestion pool in outside forums - because it's a better description.

Editors aren't able to amend official DMOZ documentation, much as they'd like to, which is why it still uses the confusing queue word.
    Of course you do. We wouldn't expect you to support a phraseology that helps non editors to understand how the system works.

jimnoble, Apr 7, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It would seem you should also expect the same from the ODP itself.

They call it a queue, the editors do not.

They call it a service the editors do not.

They say that sites submitted to the wrong queue will be deleted, editors say it'll be moved.

Funny that...

It would seem that THEY would be right, after all, they are the ones that WROTE the rules/site... and if that's the way they want it, then why would volunteers have any right to change the meaning of such things? Are you actually trying to say that the reasoning behind the initial start of the directory has changed? That it's possibly no longer a queue because of how things are done now? That it's no longer a service because editors don't feel like calling it that?

You want non-editors to no longer be confused? Start with the non-editors that actually RUN the place.

Failing that, get all the editors together & then all get on the same page... as you may also with to check a few of the links in those google searches I did... some of those places CAN be changed by editors!

16. goalseeker

goalseeker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Although Dmoz is held up to be the holy grail I would suggest that you submit according to their strict guidlines and then get on with other things to get your site listed and organic traffic started, when Dmoz puts you on line it will be a bonus not a necessity.

goalseeker, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    spot on............

Anonymously, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  18. korasava

korasava Peon

Best Answers:
    hello all;
    most of time dmoz accept submit in listing or most of time refuse it ?

thanks

korasava, May 15, 2011 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Guideline compliant sites are listed but it can take several years for a review. Non-guideline sites are rejected.

Anonymously, May 15, 2011 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Or automatically listed by a bot.

Qryztufre, May 16, 2011 IP