1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to learn EFFECTIVE web design?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by SimplPrimate, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Dandil

Dandil Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, I can say that you can find a lot of useful information and tips searching them in the internet, there are lot of free classes that can teach you to be a god web developer

Dandil, Jan 8, 2020 IP
  2. speel00

speel00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Reading books and websites are great, but the best way to really learn how is by doing. You can set up a free website hosting account (make sure it isn't WYSIWYG or drag n drop), and start hard coding the very basics. HTML and all coding is very picky, so the best way to learn is to build and see. That way you know if something was actually coded correctly or not. Once it is built how you want, move on to the next level, so forth.

speel00, Jan 10, 2020 IP
  3. James Rawls

James Rawls Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You need a resource that allows you to learn by experience and online methods are the best solutions for that. Try going for an easy-to-use software like Dreamweaver (Beginner level) or WordPress (intermediate level) which will allow you to customize websites without any specific coding knowledge. Start off with something easy and comprehensible like WordPress then move on to the more complex website builders when you have learned enough to understand the jargons and technical aspects of web development. Try taking courses from sites like Udemy or Google Digital Garage, its all worth the money.

James Rawls, Jan 29, 2020 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not a single thing of which as ANYTHING to do with design. In fact, mind-numbingly dumbass halfwitted crap like Dreamweaver and Turdpress are stunning examples of how NOT to design a damned thing, since one goes straight for the visuals making the order of development back-assward, and the other being a poster child of how NOT to write HTML and CSS.

Starting out with derpy tools like that is the fast track to failure to grasp the most basic concepts of web development and ACTUAL design. ACTUAL design being engineering that incorporates art as a small subset of its goals and mindset, obeying things like specifications, accessibility guidelines, and a host of other things dicking around in a WYSIWYG like Dreamweaver or using some rubbish off the shelf CMS isn't going to give you.

ESPECIALLY when things like that are built by people unqualified to tell others how to make websites.

deathshadow, Jan 31, 2020 IP
  5. LewisH95

LewisH95 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Start a Website. The best way to start learning web design is to start doing it. ...
    Read Everything You Can. Start reading. ...
    Be An Effective Communicator. ...
    Subscribe to Tuts+ & Envato Elements. ...
    Think in HTML. ...
    Play with Code at Codeacademy. ...
    Learn to Understand CSS. ...
    Apply Your Design Skills to the Web.

LewisH95, May 9, 2020 IP
  6. Web_Dev_Chris

Web_Dev_Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my own personal experience you can get overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge out there and never put your hands to the plow. Set a goal to build a website. Pick a topic and be very specific. For example: "Teach toddlers how to learn colours".

I suppose first install a text editor:

To name a few good ones:
    Sublime Text
    Brackets
    Atom
    Visual Studio Code
    Notapad++

Just pick one lol. The good thing about a text editor is it highlights the HTML tags and prompts you if you forget to close a tag or something.
    I personally use brackets for web design and Visual Studio Code when learning other languages.

The next step is to layout the founder of your website so like folder struture. Create a new folder called "Teach toddlers how to learn colours" and open up your text editor and navigate to the folder. Create two new folders CSS and JS and create three new files. Index.html screen.css and main.js. The js file in the JS folder and the CSS file in the CSS folder.

Then you can start practicing. Dedicate 30 minutes a day and in a week you might have your need website done. It's a combination of learning and doing for you. So you might need to watch 20 minutes of youtube videos / read / learning material. Then 20 minutes of actually focusing on your project. This is the best way to learn in my opinoin.

Initial STEPS:
    1.) Install a text editor.
    2.) Create you folder structure and basic required files.
    3.) Watch 20 minutes of tutorials / read / learning content
    4.) Spend 20 minutes working on your project

Repeated Daily
    1.) Watch 20 minutes of tutorials / read / learning content
    2.) Spend 20 minutes working on your project

As you learn you will become more efficient because you are continuing to learn. Good luck with your web development journey.

Regards,
    Chris

Web_Dev_Chris, May 14, 2020 IP
  7. PetraFs

PetraFs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am sorry for my ignorance, I am really new at web design and coding (tried HTML a little, and etc), but, how do web designers/developers scam people? I don't want to come across some of these scams, especially in the process of learning, so it would be useful to know what to avoid?
    Thank you :)

PetraFs, Jul 4, 2020 IP
  8. Faith_Ruby

Faith_Ruby Peon

Best Answers:
    As always, youtube is your best friend. There are too many videos about talking about web design. Watch the latest videos and the most important rule is to not stuff your website with information. Less reading for the reader is the best.

Faith_Ruby, Jul 9, 2020 IP
  9. zoink59

zoink59 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "GOOD" is subjective. If someone asks for a canoe and you build them the Queen Mary because that's what you "think" they need, you may end up with a very unhappy client because the Queen Mary isn't going to fit in the canal they plan to travel. I might suggest, rather than think of websites as "good" or "bad", think of "best practices" and "quality". That way, whether you are building a canoe or the Queen Mary, the approach will be the same. Follow best practices and you will attract better clients and find better jobs.

Definition of quality: whatever the customer asks for

That may sound silly but it's true. Some people won't drive anything less than a BMW, while others are happy in an old 1978 Datsun Pickup because it's cheap and easy to maintain. You have to decide if you will build BMWs or Datsun pickups. Here's an example of why: If a customer asks our company to build something we consider to be unreliable or of poor design we simply refuse the project and suggest they find a different provider. This doesn't mean the customer's idea of quality is wrong, it simply doesn't fit into what we do. We prefer to build BMWs because we have to back them up with a warranty.

A good free place to start with the absolute basics is https://www.w3schools.com/

The skills we suggest to people who ask us what basics they need to know to start working in web development: get good at HTML and CSS, then move to Javascript.

Wish you well.

zoink59, Jul 9, 2020 IP
  10. Polly Dug

Polly Dug Peon

Best Answers:
    Work hard every day - there is only one way

Polly Dug, Aug 25, 2020 IP
  11. hostmaria

hostmaria Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the best teachers are clients who don't compromise on things not done ;)

.. oh yeah! :D

best of success!

hostmaria, Aug 25, 2020 IP
  12. Irvin_Rome

Irvin_Rome Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. I had a break of learning for 2 months and I have forgotten too much. I think scientist will find some way to recover this

Irvin_Rome, Aug 25, 2020 IP