1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Know if Your Fourm is Going to Fail

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by LachyTV, Jan 21, 2010.

I'm yet to make that super forum I dream off but I have been plugging away and have noticed a few key things that will make a forum die before you even have members, I'm posting them here if a more experienced member would like to come along and give some more advice I would be forever grateful.

More forums then posts

If you are making I would stay start with a Maximum of 3 areas. Do not start a space for rules, god rules you don't need and entire forum for rules. You also will not need one for chatting about your website, just make two threads as global announcements or something. Called Suggestions and Rules.

This is the number one mistake made too many forums. You only need ONE forum start with. Move out from there.

Don't just make a forum don't think that it would be cool

My blog is more fun requires less work and all round gives me more joy. I don't webmaster for work I do it for fun hell I would kill myself If I had to work in the IT field for the rest of my life. If you want to make a website make a blog or anything but a forum.

Have a forum for a reason

Related to the top post. Don't just think that it would be cool to have a forum to chat in, nobody is going to chat. I only join forums when I need help I don't know of anybody that joins a forum purely to chat unless there is an underling game or something. You need to have a reason to exist.

There is no content

If I see a forum with no posts I will leave right away as you do not have what I want. A forum with no posts drives people away faster then look you will have a shit bounce rate, and you don't want that as ALL OF YOUR MARKETING WILL HAVE GONE TO WAIST. I don't care how many ad campaigns you have going what ever if you don't have anything there then why would I join?

More mods then members

Please for the love of god do not make all your friends mods. I would think that one mod/admin per 100 users is fine and if you encourage your users to report posts ect then admining should be quick and easy. Also doing this might help you find a member that often reports posts and makes good ones themselves this guy might make a good mod when you need more people.

Rudeness/general feel

This is important especially on smaller forums try to keep them as warm and as welcoming as possible, even one bad mod or member will drive people away; and will cause a bad feel on your forums.

LachyTV, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have done a good job at posting why a forum might fail. I agree with all your reasons.

I'd also add a few things like a bad layout, crappy addons, or too many ads.

RectangleMan, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  3. Frost1

Frost1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also agree with these reasons.

Haha! This one is my favourite quote.

I totally agree with you here. I viewed some forums, and it appears that the founder made almost all of their friends a moderator or administrator. ( Even if the friend is new to the forum with zero posts )

And, some members that actually created decent post and know every rule + obeying them, stays as a member, lol.

Frost1, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  4. masterrio

masterrio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree and you have to make sure to be friendly with leechers as they could turn out to be posters in future

masterrio, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  5. MatrixGodFather

MatrixGodFather Peon

Best Answers:
    i like all those i have a new forum only been up two months hope i grow.

MatrixGodFather, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  6. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very good one.

This should be the bible for new forum owners:)

webcosmo, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  7. rahim701

rahim701 Active Member

Best Answers:
    some great suggestion. thanks.

"WILL HAVE GONE TO WAIST" i think it will be waste.

rahim701, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  8. LachyTV

LachyTV Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah, I don't read over my work... but I hope you found it useful in some way.

Also people don't spam

Remember to go look at australi........ just joking

What you cannot edit posts that sucks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    LachyTV, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  9. GetALink

GetALink Guest

Best Answers:
    You need active and dedicated staff members that post new content regularly as well as help recruit new members. You need to be able to promote your forum and utilize SEO.

I think establishing a community-friendly atmosphere is very important too.

GetALink, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  10. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget about forums with a lot of automated topics from RSS feeds. That's the best way to kill any original content left inside a good site.

Nuno Brito, Mar 7, 2010 IP
  11. 1-3-3-7

1-3-3-7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah while the posted RSS feeds can be useful if used correctly like updating scores etc. they aren't a problem but when you have several sections with feeds from external sites, it makes the site even look more dead especially when none of them have replies.

1-3-3-7, Mar 8, 2010 IP
  12. LachyTV

LachyTV Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys :) I hope that this helps a few people that want to build a forum.

LachyTV, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  13. Poupoutane

Poupoutane Active Member

Best Answers:
    how many auto posts per day would you recommend for a start ?

Poupoutane, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  14. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend none.

They're good to fill the forum stats instead of looking empty but they'll also drive away any possible life on your site.

If you don't believe me, just look what happened to one my sites at http://dnx.me

Nuno Brito, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  15. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This one is VERY important. We try to keep our forum very "nice", yet we've lost more members from drama and crap stirred-up by a few long time members and a few moderators. It's hard to ban a valuable/long-time member for stirring up crap, but in the long run, it's usually worth it. This is a tough one, unless your forum is known for being "mean" (which can be ok too)..

Tearabite, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  16. Poupoutane

Poupoutane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well i need to start, if I do nothing, forum will remain EMPTY and attract noone

Poupoutane, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  17. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    But filling your forum with spam-alike posts won't also attract people, believe me.

Try writing quality posts, invite friends to join your forum, think and propose something that is truly unique.

Otherwise, your forum will fail even before it starts.

Nuno Brito, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  18. LachyTV

LachyTV Guest

Best Answers:
    I offer forum posting. You can PM me if your interested. I recommend you order some paid posting and invite as many friends who share an interest in the topic. Don't forget to be active in your own forums as well.

LachyTV, Mar 23, 2010 IP