1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to keep track of downloads ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Nicky21, Oct 27, 2004.

Hi there.

I've come across a problem. I want to keep an exact track of my downloads, so i know precisely how many are each day and so on....

How do i do this in html + php?

I mean how do i do this so:
    - it won't need an aditional page, with just a huge link on it that says "click here to begin"
    - the stuff won't be stopped by popup blockers
    - when the user clicked the link or button or whatever, the download will start and a php file will be called immediately so i can add the click to a database

Any idea guys?

Nicky21, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  2. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure if this is what you mean, however, I use Download Pro which tracks the IP and date of each download. Also masks the download URL so people can't go to it directly.

jarvi, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  3. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think i figured it out, thanks. You can check it out here:

http://www.crea-soft.com/jigsaw-puzzles-lite/download.html

The download button then sends the user to a "download.php" page that contains along with the code for tracking the download a 302 redirect using the header to the actual .exe file.

Are you sure it's a good idea to hide the URL to people?

Nicky21, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  4. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The main reason I see for hiding the URL is if you wish to get people to see something like the terms and conditions before they download. Useful if they have the tick a box confirming acceptance before going any further.

jarvi, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  5. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh. That might make sense for you. In my case the more downloads, the better....

Nicky21, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  6. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    I don't think there's an easy answer to this. If you take a look at your weblogs (like I do) you'll see people using download accelerators, and doing multiple downloads because the first one failed.

I was counting clicks on the download button initially but this ended up giving numbers much higher (about 20%) than what was actually done. What I do now is use a ballpark estimate by dividing file bandwidth by file size and reducing the result by about 10% or so.

mnemtsas, Nov 28, 2004 IP
  7. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    I used to calculate using the weblogs too, but i wanted a metric to show when i changed stuff on my site. SO when i make some text or layout upgrades i see how they effect on downloads the very next day. THIS is the only reason i need the counter.....

Nicky21, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  8. johncr

johncr Peon

Best Answers:
    What you need is ClickTracker (cgi script) by focalmedia.

johncr, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  9. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    I'll take a loo at it. It should be interesting for any of my future developments, but i think i have it figured out using php.....

Nicky21, Dec 2, 2004 IP