1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to imporve adwords

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by robert1978, Feb 9, 2012.

Hi All

I have tried to optimise my campaign on Adwords - I have a few. However, everytime I try and optimise, the conversion rate falls, and cost per sale increases...This is not good I know. But all I am doing is adding a few keywords and pulling back on keywords which are not converting...

If I was adding keywords which were generating loads of clicks and no conversion then I could work that out....But it is almost like the keywords which normally convert well just start to perform badly...so frustrating!!Is there something wrong I am doing??If you were to optimise a campaign say for a friend, what things would you do??

Thanks

robert1978, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  2. robert1978

robert1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a thought....I wonder, if I added loads of new keywords which turn out to have a poor CTR, that this effects the overall account CTR and in turn quality score (even for high performing keywords) which then in turn gives them a lower ad rank, which would explain why normally excellent keywords start to perform worse...?

3. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're obviously adding the wrong keywords. They may be too generic, wrong match type, irrelevant, all of the above. It's not about getting impressions and clicks. It's getting the right impressions and clicks. By getting more impressions and clicks on the wrong keywords (irrelevant and generic) that convert less, you are using your budget away from those that do convert, the right keywords. This means the good keywords get less impressions and clicks leading to less sales. This drives up your ROI.

I don't know if you're adding keywords all in one group but I think you may be. Not a good thing to do. You need to theme keywords into groups. Not that it will help if you are being too generic, your problem will remain account wise. There is supposedly an account QS calculation and if so, it will affect keywords that used to have a good QS.

Lucid Web Marketing, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  4. robert1978

robert1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    HiI only added in a number of keywords, then deleted them when I relaised they did not work....So there should be no issue there....I did add them to different ad groups, all of which were targeted closely together and highly relevant - thats not the problem. My concern is, that even when I returned the account to what it was like before the impressions were half what they were before and conversion were very poor too...Almost like the changes confused Adwords. I know impressions are not as important as the all important cost per lead/sale (ROI)But why on earth is this heppening - it must be a glitch with Adwords maybe?

5. M8INTERNET

M8INTERNET Member

Best Answers:
    How many campaigns do you have running?

I tend to run a campaign for four weeks with a name in date format
    example 111205to120101 (05 Dec 2011 to 01 Jan 2012, and so on)
    The next campaign can then be compared month - to month and also year - to - year

The trick is to make small changes, large changes can have really adverse affects
    This may be the effect you are experiencing

Equally, just because a keyword has a high bid cost does not necessarily mean it will result in better conversions
    You could end up paying twice as much just for one keyword but the number of conversions does not warrant that cost

M8INTERNET, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  6. kinggod

kinggod Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When a web surfer notices your ad and clicks on it, you have a potential customer. If this visitor decides to buy something from you, then you have a customer. This can be described as a conversion because the website visitor was “converted” into a customer.Your conversion rate is the number of conversions divided by the number of pageviews. It is the percent of people that buy something when visiting your website.

kinggod, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  7. robert1978

robert1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the point I am getting at...I think making big changes in one go effects awords and no one knows why.

8. M8INTERNET

M8INTERNET Member

Best Answers:
    So what changes did you make?
    Without any further information then there is no way to know how these affected the CTR

I only recently noticed I was using keyword Broad match :
    http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6100
    example :
    rail travel

I started adding Exact match
    example :
    [rail travel]

I then compared these and how they performed
    The next issue is the CTR is then split from one previous keyword into two, so you need to calculate what effect this has
    However the important statistic is the impressions and this shows which is more relevant

Once this keyword has been reviewed, then the next is selected
    This takes time and eventually you see patterns within specific words and phrases
    The next issue is the cost
    rail travel was costing £0.15
    [rail travel] was costing £0.35
    Again, you need calculate the cost against the CTR

This is then expanded to use Phrase match, however this has to be used with care as this uses more natural language and can return some unusual and irrelevant responses (the same as with Broad match)
    Therefore for basic setup, use Exact match, and this is the method I now use for initial setup

Strangely google AdWords never suggests any negative match and I do not have applied

M8INTERNET, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  9. gajjarcompressor

gajjarcompressor Peon

Best Answers:
    Pl. monitoring adword keywords its best for you.

gajjarcompressor, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  10. uoftenwinny

uoftenwinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I think keywords you should use. A good keyword will make you to get more clicks.also uoften can try to use SEO to promote your site other than google adwords.

uoftenwinny, Mar 1, 2012 IP