1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to have seperate domains for categories of one large forum?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by arkueckelhan, Jul 20, 2011.

I think this is possible but not sure how to actually do it. I want to have a large forum but certain categories I would like to then break into a different domain while STILL joining in the same database with the same member base. When on the new domain (one of the categories of the larger forum) I want users to be acutely aware of the larger forum and the navigation to be likewise.

As far as T.O.S. for vbulletin it seems that this is fine as long as I don't hide navigation to the larger site and as long as the forum template/ scheme is not very different. This is to prevent people from using 1 license to run 100 sites.

> I want the particular setup I mentioned to keep one large database and memberbase as well as take advantage of exact match domains for SEO.

arkueckelhan, Jul 20, 2011 IP
  2. Rivmedia

Rivmedia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Something like this :

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=254197

I would look into it carefully if i was you and contact vbulletin regarding the licensing not just reading their TOS as im pretty sure that they are very specific of what you can and cant do .

Rivmedia, Jul 21, 2011 IP
  3. arkueckelhan

arkueckelhan Active Member

Best Answers:
    that is pretty much what i was looking for. Now I have to figure out how to properly install it etc. I do plan on fully abidding by vbulletin rules and would even be willing to pay for extra licenses if needed. But I'm rather sure that if navigation, etc. makes its intent on being the same forum but utilizing different domains within it, it should be fine.

If anyone can point to other patches, plug-ins or whatnot that would work, please take the time to help out

arkueckelhan, Jul 21, 2011 IP
  4. poly1

poly1 Peon

Best Answers:
    arkueckelhan,

On the surface, this sounds like more trouble than it's worth. looking at the mod RiverWire posted, I see it was released in beta in November 2010, but has yet to be updated. I personally wouldn't trust it, at least not on a live site. Also, I'm not sure what your server setup is like, but I would think that handling all those requests for multiple domains might add quite a bit of overhead. At the very least, you should run your plan by vBulletin support before you invest any time on it to make sure it's even possible under the current TOS. vB software is known to phone home, and IB are known for being quite zealous in making examples of anyone who breaks their TOS.

poly1, Aug 22, 2011 IP