1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to handle undefined values from xml files in javascript

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by ishanjain2, Oct 27, 2011.

I am making a page which creates a datagrid from the data in a xml file. Apart from other columns, there are 7 columns for author names and it should contain min 1 author and max 7. I have this XML file that have records tagged as <author1></author>.. <author2>.... and so on. Those with less than 7 authors are obviously empty.
    In my javascript code, i used:

author2= document.createTextNode(x[i].getElementsByTagName("author2")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue) || "blank";
    Code (markup):
    and also used

author2= document.createTextNode(x[i].getElementsByTagName("author2")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);
    	  if( author2 === undefined)
    	     author2="";
    	  td6.appendChild(author2);
    Code (markup):
    But none of them are working if author 2 is empty.
    The error m getting is:
    Error: x.getElementsByTagName("author2")[0] is undefined
    Source File: file:///F:/script.js
    Line: 107

I googled a lot but just couldnt get this thing working. Please help me out here. How do i handle undefined values while parsing XML

ishanjain2, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  2. hdewantara

hdewantara Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try to check the length of getElementsByTagName() first before using it?
    If it returns zero, then you might set author2 to "blank" or just "".

Hendra

hdewantara, Oct 28, 2011 IP
  3. ishanjain2

ishanjain2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not working.. Now it gives the error on the line where i am checking its length. I guess i have to make some sort of check before using -- x.getElementsByTagName("author2")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue

ishanjain2, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  4. ishanjain2

Best Answers:
    ok i got the actual problem. I didnt noticed that there was no author2 in xml file. Actually i created the xml through excel sheet and for the blank cells, excel didnt create any empty <author2></author2> tags. Thats y the getElementsById didnt responded.
    Now should i go the inappropriate way of including all the empty tags in the xml file or there is some other way ? Any syntax where i can check is a particular tag exists or not ?

ishanjain2, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  5. hdewantara

hdewantara Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would think that if the x is a valid XML document, then (x.getElementsByTagName) would return true (a function), and you could use appropriately the getElementsByTagName(). So provided that condition, even if there's no <author2> element in (x.getElementsByTagName().length) shouldn't give you an error. Are you using an example from http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_parser.asp?

hdewantara, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  6. ishanjain2

Best Answers:
    Not this one but some other ones on w3schools. I got this syntax(getElementsByTagName("author2")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue) from w3schools and createTextNode from other sites.
    Also, if i put the author2 processing lines in a try catch block, the statements are throwing an error. So surely it is not working for non existing author2 tags

ishanjain2, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  7. JohnnySchultz

JohnnySchultz Peon

Best Answers:

you can try this..

if(x[i] && x[i].getElementsByTagName("author2") && x[i].getElementsByTagName("author2")[0] && x[i].getElementsByTagName("author2")[0].childNodes[0])
      author2= document.createTextNode(x[i].getElementsByTagName("author2")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);
    else
      author2= "blank";

Code (markup):

JohnnySchultz, Nov 3, 2011 IP