1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to handle subscription changes?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by MrLoofer, Dec 22, 2006.

I see a lot of posts regarding how to handle subscription payments but none discussing the headaches (at least for me) around subscription changes. I am currently setting up Cybersource after moving from PayPal. Here's the ordeal:

Customer pays $10 a month on a certain day of the month.
    Customer decides to change subscription to the $15 month plan.
    We calculate the prorated amount for the remaing 15 days and charge the customer then on the next payment they pay the new cost of $15.
    If a customer goes to a cheaper plan we refund the prorated amount instead.

This is currently all handled in our code but by moving to Cybersource they are lacking one major field in their subscription API and that is "Last Payment Date". Without that we are unable to calculate the prorated amount.

Anyway, I guess I'm kinda looking for feedback on how anyone else handled automated subscription changes along with what works/doesn't work. At this point we are considering just doing it manually but when you sell an online service any service changes need to be done in real time and you want to ensure that you charge that card before giving customer access to the new service.

Any insight appreciated.

MrLoofer, Dec 22, 2006 IP