1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Handle Projects Effectively?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by DevAdelicia, Apr 9, 2014.

Hi All,

I’m new to this Project Manager Position. I would need some tips and suggestions on handling the projects and do in need to get proper project management training.

Thanks
    Dev Adelicia

DevAdelicia, Apr 9, 2014 IP
  2. AaronHarris

AaronHarris Member

Best Answers:
    All you need to do is focus and be determined. There are nothing in this world that can't be learned if you will give your whole heart and soul in what do you do.

Just be yourself and enjoy every single day of the work. Being happy is being contented and efficient.

All the best for you!

Aaron

AaronHarris, Apr 9, 2014 IP
  3. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Humility and being Assertive! :)

Ethan Alvin, Apr 9, 2014 IP
  4. DevAdelicia

DevAdelicia Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply friends. What is the area that we have to be more focused while handling a project.

5. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think it is important to have a timeline (e.g. Gantt Chart) to keep track of milestones and deadlines. Always leave room for buffer in case of errors, delays or miscoms.

Ethan Alvin, Apr 9, 2014 IP
  6. DevAdelicia

DevAdelicia Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks mate. I will take your advice.

7. DevAdelicia

DevAdelicia Member

Best Answers:
    Can you please tell me where to get this Grantt Chart.

8. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think there are free software available. Just google for them.

Visio is a good tool too.

Ethan Alvin, Apr 10, 2014 IP
  9. Tom_WebostingUK LTD

Tom_WebostingUK LTD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You have to build certain strategies according to Projects allotted to you. Priorities needs to be set for certain workflow which is most important task and has to be done.

Tom_WebostingUK LTD, Apr 11, 2014 IP
  10. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    This is a good plan. It's very helpful when using online collaboration tools and scheduling with a timeline and milestones. Basecamp or OneDrive as well as Google Drive/Calendar are also good for this.

Alyssa Lochmore, Apr 12, 2014 IP
  11. Boost_Software

Boost_Software Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, what Alyssa said. There's a lot of different types of software that allow you to schedule projects and tasks for people. Having an organized online system for this helps you keep track of who's doing what.

Boost_Software, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  12. nixande

nixande Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This depends very much on
    • how you are personally going through life = what works best for you.
    • if you are working alone on this or have a team / partners
    • the area in which you are working
    • if you need to officially document certain steps
    In general I would first ask for existing projects in your company and maybe check a few project management for dummies and alike books from the library. Also you can bribe a friend to be your 'training partner' - somtimes thinking out loud is all you need.

There are simple tools out there, for example Trello (search for "trello project management).
    For time management, i recommend printing out a calendar and use post its and or just spreadsheet / calendar to list due dates if relevant.

Also, again depending on your situation, if you are a gmail user and you want / need to work with workflows, Streak is a bit complicated to set up, but really helpful.

That all where tool suggestions - however most of what you are most likely to learn are things in the area of 'management' - for this I recommend working with a coach. You need to pay them instead of bribe a friend, however, they most likely work quicker and much more efficient. Seeing your industry I would also expect that you should to tracking (how good / fast have you worked) and project templates for todo.

Also assuming that you have to use certain tools at work, it really makes sense to have somebody help you with the initial steps and direction, I also recommend using lots of pen, paper and postits - our brain works differently when having something in our hands than just writing or reading online.

nixande, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  13. Orvi

Orvi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nixande and the rest of the people here have actually explained it. In addition to what you need as a Project Manager - a tool so you can organize tasks, manage and be more efficient and effective. Asana is the one I recommend. I have used all that's out there - Trello, RedBooth, Basecamp, etc.

Orvi, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  14. Harriet Munoz

Harriet Munoz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have been using Asana for quite sometime in managing and prioritizing task. This is a helpful tool, to keep you going on the right track.

Harriet Munoz, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  15. dineshseo5

dineshseo5 Member

Best Answers:
    Apptivo project management app has interactive gantt chart. You can track your tasks, projects, billing methods and conversions.

dineshseo5, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  16. HelenVendo

HelenVendo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The main problem for me when I started some project was to delegate. I was always trying to do as much as possible by myself because I thought that nobody will do it better than me. Sometimes it's true, it's almost always true. But! The main task is to coordinate the process and to give clear tasks to the right people. That's the key to success!

HelenVendo, Feb 11, 2016 IP
  17. TomRider

TomRider Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Project Management is the task of handling a specific project right from the scratch till its successful and timely delivery. This field has some critical aspects, which are tell us the next: you must be confident, lay out the action plan for the project, establish your role as a leader, build up the team, be responsible for planning out the progress of the project.
    And to proceed with this job successfully, here are some of the most effective ways:
    - divide the task into sub-tasks;
    - prioritize the tasks according to their urgency;
    - distribute time according to the complexity of the task;
    - allot work among the group members based on their efficiency;
    - monitor progress at regular intervals.

TomRider, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  18. Surge Calls

Surge Calls Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Organization is huge, always make a daily list of things that you have to accomplish. As long as you are organized and determined to get things done effectively you will do well in your role.

Surge Calls, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  19. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, well as a digital project manager although I agree with most of the above answers but let me get real,
    first of all you need to learn what is what, just knowing some terms or tools is not enough (especially if you want to be competitive in job market.) just knowing Gantt Chart or how it works is not enough. You need to learn why and how and then implementations.

Secondly, project management is hugely dependent on experience so start as soon as possible in any capacity, as an intern or assistant or anything you can lay your hands on. You learn things in the process that would not learn in class or from books.

Also remember that having a degree or qualification can help specially that it's difficult to determine level of expertise through experience so a qualification can help a lot.
    I hope this helps

Mehdi.b, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  20. AdiMalick

AdiMalick Peon

Best Answers:
    Here are the 7 keys that is much more important to manage project effectively.

1. Don’t forget the human element
    2. Communication is king
    3. Know when to use the right tool from your toolbox
    4. Always ask questions, never assume
    5. Understand that there’s conflict on every project
    6. Be the participant observer
    7. A few words on project management scope

AdiMalick, May 11, 2016 IP