1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Google 301 redirect - Change of domain?

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by Kayz, Jun 19, 2012.

Hi guys I am hosting with my same web provider and just want to change the domain address without losing rank on google.

Now i am already signed up with google webmaster tools and have verified my old and new domains, i have also setup 'change of address' via google webmaster tools.

Now i have applied the new domain to the site by getting my host to replace the old url to the new url and have configured dns correctly to take effect. I have parked my old domain so that the trailing pages and directories work correctly such as /aboutus and news articles like /news/custom-news-title etc Now of course we don't want duplicate content via newdomain.com and olddomain.com so what i did was setup a 301 redirect via htaccess so if people visit the old domain the land on the new domain with the correct page.

I just need to know which one of the following is the best and correct way for google to work with and understand that articles are now on newdomain.com? I have the following two redirect options, both work but which one shall i use?
    SEMrush

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.olddomain\.com
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.olddomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^olddomain.com [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.olddomain.com$
    RewriteRule (.*)$ http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Kayz, Jun 19, 2012 IP
    SEMrush
  2. lonking

lonking Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that Google hates redirecting a lot, but in your situation, it is a good way not to lose the original ranks.

lonking, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  3. Scofz

Scofz Peon

Best Answers:
    I've done a fair bit of redirection and have not suffered in the rankings

Scofz, Jun 20, 2012 IP