1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get your Wodpress website maintained by somebody else

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by RobertoDub, May 13, 2015.

Hello,
    if I wanted to hire somebody to fix/improve my Wordpress website, would I need to give them an admin password?
    Would they be able to take all my website content, remove myself from admin role, access my Analytics stats and things like that?
    Any way to prevent this please?

Solved! View solution.
    RobertoDub, May 13, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and no. Simple as that. Grab a backup of everything, redo the admin-account (so it's not any of your regular passwords or similar) and let them at it - or better, set up a secondary account for development, and have them work on that - or just give them a list of what you have installed of plugins and themes and such, and have them do the changes on their own server, then upload said changes afterwards.

PoPSiCLe, May 13, 2015 IP
  3. WhosJose

WhosJose Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best advice you'll hear. It contains all the possible options.

WhosJose, May 13, 2015 IP
  4. RobertoDub

RobertoDub Peon

Best Answers:
    it looks like my company's proxy marks that website as "phishing".

RobertoDub, May 15, 2015 IP
  5. RobertoDub

RobertoDub Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, it's not very clear to me though as I'm not an expert.

First and second options require the developer to receive an admin account, right? This would allow them full access to my website, right?

As for giving them a list of plugins and themes (the third option you mentioned), I guess they should not be able to replicate my website on their server that way? Also, if I paid for my theme, I don't think I'd be allowed to give them the zip file of it.
    And afterwards, how could I isolate the changes they made and only apply them to my site? are there any tools or plugins for that?

Thanks!

You wouldn't need to isolate the changes - you would just upload all the files again, overwriting whatever they'd done (and, if need be, install extra plugins). No need to change the database etc.
    You would have to give them access to a copy of your database, so they can work on the same content as you have, as well as a copy of any theme-files, yes. Of course, if you have a paid theme, that might be breaking the license-restrictions.
    As for the second option, what I meant was set up a secondary WordPress-install, just copy the database, and have them work on that on your server - however, unless you can provide different FTP-logins, this is difficult, and will be a hassle for the developer (if the dev doesn't have access to FTP, working on a WP-install is a pain in the ass).
    Personally, I would just give the dev a list of what is currently installed, along with what you want to change, and have them fix this on their own dev server. Then provide you with the changed files. If you want to be completely sure they haven't buggered you with some code to access your files, have them looked over by someone competent, that you trust before uploading them.

PoPSiCLe, May 15, 2015 IP
  7. RobertoDub

RobertoDub Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, it's more clear now!