1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get more comments on posts?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by DexPedition, Nov 28, 2012.

I recently started a "Gaming news & Review" website, i am getting a nice amount of visitors (Around the 200-500 a day) with over 100 views on every news post the day i post it. (i know this might not be much, but its all i got, sorry)

Now if i make a poll, i can get like 500 poll answers, but no one and i mean NO ONE seems to want to leave a comment :confused:. I put on the bottom of every post a question and ask for feedback and thoughts about stuff related to the post. I integrated Disqus to make it easier for people to comment but still no one seems to leave comments. I also did a giveaway a long way back, all was required was a "Comment" and ... 0 comments :(

What am i doing wrong? Any suggestions? Any help is welcome!:eek:

Post with most poll entries (so you can see for yourself that people love polls but aparently hate comments): http://www.noshitshurlock.com/official-xbox-720-pictures-and-features-announced/

DexPedition, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  2. DennisKnows

DennisKnows Active Member

Best Answers:
    People don't comment like they use to....

You have to build up your brand and make people feel privileged to comment on your site..

It's also has to do with traffic... Look at sites like TMZ, Mediatakeout, etc.. Those sites speak on very hot topics and get millions of hits a day... Out of those millions, only a few LOYAL followers leave comments...

Focus on building your brand... Create videos; make them funny and upload them to youtube and other video marketing sites...

DennisKnows, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  3. Media_Challenge

Media_Challenge Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Dennis, it's all about brand recognition - once you do that traffic and comments will flow.

Online video production is definitely a good tool to create brand recognition along with online and offline SEO.

Media_Challenge, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  4. Nawshale

Nawshale Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with them, Branding is indeed really important. However, since you have already tried other ways to gain comments like giving giveaways but still no one replied though number of poll responses are high then - I think that the problem you're facing here is already in the question you are asking them. You might want to consider that. :)

I suggest you rephrase your question, make it more attention getting. Discuss or ask about a very relevant or interesting topic for your visitors. Make the statements attractive by choosing the right word to use. I say, aside from putting all your time in making people recognize your brand and making your site beautiful, also consider the content.

If content is not catchy or interesting enough, visitor's won't even mind reading 2-3 lines in your web content. :)

Hope this helps

Nawshale, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  5. charleskrivers

charleskrivers Member

Best Answers:
    I read a book about blogs and it started that the amount of people who visit a blog rarely leave a comment, it was close to about 2%. The best way to increase your blog comments is to start a tribe. You can get together with a group of fellow bloggers and comment and share each others blog. When your readers start to see comments, they'll want to join the conversation and you should see a steady increase in the amount of comments you get from your readers..

charleskrivers, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  6. zoritey87

zoritey87 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you have visitors you shouldn't worry about your comments but if you want comments make contest and the one who comment more will win, that's what I did in a blog I used.

zoritey87, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  7. DexPedition

DexPedition Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for this reply, it helped me a lot!

DexPedition, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  8. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. You need visitors before you’ll get comments. You won’t get comments until people visit your blog. Start by reviewing our famous post on how to get more traffic to understand the basics of building an audience. Posting on a regular schedule is an important part of building traffic, which will lead to more comments.
    2. Have a clear and strong position in your posts. Clarity in writing helps readers form their own opinion to share. A post titled “I’m not sure if I like bananas” is less likely to compel a response than “How I learned to love bananas” or “Why I will never eat a banana again”. Writing well and having interesting thoughts is by far the best way to encourage more comments (and follow the daily post for regular advice on writing better). Being provocative, or picking polarizing topics, can help attract comments too, but be careful: the more intentionally provocative you are, the more polarized and uncivil the comments you receive are likely to be.

war_machine, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  9. nufox

nufox Peon

Best Answers:
    How many comments are you targetting? You need to start focus on increasing traffic then only people will slowly comment

nufox, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  10. YoungAce

YoungAce Active Member

Best Answers:
    From a quick look, I'd say that you need to make them more prominent, and pose a question for your users.

If you could open up a forum or something else that would build community, it'd likely boost how many comments you get. When people feel like they're part of a community, they're much more likely to comment and share!

Good luck.

YoungAce, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  11. sharondzouza

sharondzouza Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, doing a contest on comment itself is the best idea. The best comment could win something in that context would be great and helpful.

sharondzouza, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  12. cielkong

cielkong Member

Best Answers:
    There is a tool for this .
    But we suggest that you can do it by hand to get higher quanlity back links.

cielkong, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  13. Salon Alure

Salon Alure Member

Best Answers:
    Submit a useful thread to get comments

Salon Alure, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  14. Rossome

Rossome Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree that video could help in this case. The idea being that seeing your face and/or hearing your voice would build trust and "relationship" that would then cause people to WANT to connect with you. The only time people leave comments is when they want to connect.

-Travis :cool:

Rossome, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  15. hypeadvertising24

hypeadvertising24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Use informative comments

hypeadvertising24, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  16. jarjis10

jarjis10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Make your content more unique and put some questionnaires.. it may help you to get comment..

jarjis10, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  17. DexPedition

DexPedition Active Member

Best Answers:
    about 1 comment every 2.000 visitors

DexPedition, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  18. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the problem is that your articles are more informational than review/opinions. They give information to users and they leave. You need to engage them and you do that by letting your users know what you think about a particular piece of information. For example you have an article about Diablo III release date. You do not just say the release date is on blah blah but you add to that and say how excited you are and then ask your users what they think about the game, etc.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!

affilorama, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  19. honeymor

honeymor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    honeymor, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  20. spiderso

spiderso Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    comments or complements comes whn the article or blog or website have best content or worse content, it all depends on the content and quality

spiderso, Nov 29, 2012 IP