1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get listed in DMOZ direcotry

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by umairraja52, May 30, 2010.

1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No
    I simply pointing out that you are complaining about the service that you are expecting from DMOZ, yet no one provides anything to DMOZ in expectation of getting this service from them. You pay them no money, They show you no advertisements. You just have unrealistic expectations
    Yes, this forum is free, but what has that got to do with it? I have no expectations of any service from this forum. BUT, you do know why they notify you? They notify you so you come back to the forum to view and click on the advertisements!! - ever wonder why the free SEO directories send you thank you and accepted emails etc... really bad analgy you came up with! You are going to have to do better than that.
    You simply just don't get it, that DMOZ does not want to provide any notification service ... it does not matter if its easy to implement or not. Past expereinces have shown its destined to fail.
    How am I annoying anyone. I simply disagreeing with you - if you don't like that, then get over it. Are you not more annoying with your unrealistic expectations of a service from DMOZ? I simply trying to educate you about your ignorance of DMOZ.

Agent000, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  2. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hopeless case, I gave up

decno1, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  3. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Consider this: What you are suggesting has been suggested 10o0's of times in many many forums over many many years. Every time someone from DMOZ says they are not going to do it. Why can you not get it? Who does that make a hopeless case? Who is the hoepless case if they still fail to understand what DMOZ is? Who is the hopeless case who expects DMOZ to provide a service when you pay nothing for that service and are shown no advertisements?

Would you like me to type slower?

Agent000, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I personally would turn the suggestions off because I think it raises unreal expectations from web site owners. But as we have it, we clearly say that we do not promise to review a site in good time. Because, as Jim has said, all editors are volunteers and none are forced to work more than one edit every 4 months. That means it is impossible to say how long a review will take. If you can tell me how much time I will spend in the garden over the next 6 months, how long I will spend on my other hobbies, how much time I will need for my family, I will tell you how much time I can spend editing and then if you do that for the other 7000 editors we will all know, from your projections, how much that time will be, because for sure I don't know how much time I will need for those things.

This is a hobby, not a business and when you say

Managers, what managers, no one managers me when I volunteer to do something, I manage myself.

Tell me how long do you spend on any hobby you have got? Can I come and tell you how much time you MUST spend on it, can I come and tell you how you must do it, if it's collecting something, say stamps, can I tell you which stamps you MUST collect? I doubt it and neither can anyone tell me or any other volunteer DMOZ editor how they must operate. If someone does that there will be no volunteers we will all have left.
    No it depends on our experience, we know that some categories are going to be full of spam or get rich quick sites and so we choose, often, to use our experience to find sites. But remember our task is not to get through reviewing as many suggestions as we can, it is to build categories for those who want to use collated and categorised work for their surfing. We have no interest in if our listing gives value or not to a site only if it has value to a surfer, and as editors we are trusted by the DMOZ community to be able to accomplish that task in areas where we have permissions to work and where we have chosen to work. That may not fit in with what you want from a directory, but there are many who operate the sort of model you look for. There are hundreds of free sites that offer a listing service and many who charge for a listing and others who charge for a review for a listing. Most promise to review in good time, but we do not offer that service. We accept suggestions and we do not promise when they will be looked at and we definiately do not undertake to advice what has happened to the site. Sorry but it is how DMOZ is and is how the hard working, volunteer editors want it to stay. If you think you too want to spend your spare time doing editing, press the ' edit this category' button at the bottom of almost every category. Then, if you are accepted, you will be able to voice your oppinions among the editing community.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Anonymously, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  5. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Anonymously, my post you commented was a reply to previous posts, so the discussion leaded me to such a post, please read what others said before I type this.
    I don't know if what I suggested have been suggested 100s of times in other forums, we are not in this field of business, our company is involved in something very far away from SEO, and please check my total posts,mainly we are here to improve our own website.
    My main point against of many of editors is: They don't reply us. I got one reply from one editor before I suggest my website, just in the next deay, I got a reply, he was so polite by suggesting the most correct location where we can suggest our website, I DO APPRECIATE SUCH A PERSON. I really don't know how many editors will pay attention like this.
    If you send via DMOZ form to another editor 2,3 times and you actually don't know if your question got received or not, this is a big matter.
    I really don't mind if our website got rejected, but I just want to know why?
    Is not useful for you to know how the others they see your website? and they (especially the experienced ones) tell you what your site misses to be perfect?
    Please don't tell me that DMOZ is FREE and I should get nothing because I am paying nothing, DMOZ got a lot, it got fame, it got glory, it is a leader. is not much important than money in some people eyes?

decno1, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  6. phpwnes

phpwnes Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ or yahoo and so on aren't just worth what they used to be anyways its better to focus getting on topic niche related links from other sources

phpwnes, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  7. PeterWeb

PeterWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    our website already approve in DMOZ
    but it's take long time

PeterWeb, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  8. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do agree with you when I gave up from being accepted by DMOZ, since we launched a new website for our company recently, I think we must focus on getting as much as possible of directories, mainly DMOZ and Yahoo, then we will focus on the other things.
    Honestly, DMOZ is very important in bsuiness, if I want to evaluate a company for deciding to deal or not dealing with, one of the things I check, I check their website in DMOZ.

decno1, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  9. cruxabhi

cruxabhi Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried several times but never get listed to dmoz

cruxabhi, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    How do you think it acquired that reputation? Mainly because it does NOT act as a listing service. And part of that is to understand suggestions as suggestions and for DMOZ editors not to be influenced by how many suggestions are in the pool, or site owners trying to get their site listed. Have you read on here how Snooks had his home phone number discovered and then he was rung at home and had to report the matter to the police? We are not here to list your site, we are not here to worry about if you site is the best or getting a listing with us will improve your business, it is not our concern. It might be yours and it might be the way DMOZ is seen, but it is seen that way because of our editorial style. So entering into correspondence is, on the whole, actually actively discouraged by the community.

You might be a high flying business, we are not. We are amateur hobbyists who collect, collate and list URL's. The fact that Google still uses us for their directory is Google's business, nothing what so ever to do with us, we allow anyone giving us the right attribution to use our data, we have no control over it or who uses it. Our goal is clear we are focused on those who want to use our material to search the web and having to enter into correspondence with site owners is not within that remit. Some editors tried to do some of this on Resource Zone, but soon stopped giving out information about site status, it was time consuming, led to quite a lot of heat being generated by site owners who thought their site should be listed and we did not have valid reasons for not listing them, so they stopped doing it.

If your site does comply with our guidelines it will probably be listed, I just put in a caveat because there are some situations where a compliant site may not be listed, but very very few. So if you have a good unique content rich site it probably will be listed, but because of who we are and how we have always operated no one can tell you when a review will take place, the site, if compliant, almost certainly waits in the pool for an editor to choose to edit in that area and to choose to use the suggestions pool as their resource.

A sort of post script. You say that if we told you that you were rejected you do not mind, how do you think the site owner who contacted Snooks by phone might have reacted? Editors have been threatened before now and for carrying out our hobby, like you collecting stamps. Would you like to be threatened by stamp seller for not buying the ones they offer? You also want us to tell you what's wrong with your site. Please if you want to know don't expect us to take up our spare time for you a business, employ an SEO person.

Anonymously, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  11. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Anonymously - I have already pointed most of that out to them and it was not the answer they wanted to hear, so they gave me up
    Hopefully you typed slower than I did and they get it this time.

Agent000, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    because you are not dealing with comments on here now?

The webmasters you are discussing things with on here are NOT your end user!!!! But the suggestion feature on the ODP IS there for the end user to suggest sites. Yes, yes, the webmasters here will use it... but are you really saying that communication with the end user is bad or not worth your time? If the end user is not worth your time, then you are selfish, and if you are selfish, its no wonder so many sites can't get listed and it makes it much much less of a surprise that the ODP was actually founded on the promotion of editors sites over all else (which you have to admit is true, ya know, with the 20,000 ROBOT listed Topix sites in a HUMAN edited directory that frowns upon deeplinks)

heh... I can prove I was an editor which is something you can not do. The proof lies with the person making the statement remember? If it does not, then you MUST believe that there is a teapot revolving around the sun!

And I DO have pretty good experience discussing things on the internal forums, question DMOZ and get called an "Digital Point Troll" and then be told to "shut up and edit" :D see, that's what happens on the internal forums! I know, I tried!!!!

Another thing about trying to change the ODP from the inside which makes it a complete and total FAIL! you can NOT, only AOL can change the ODP, remember? That's what the editors keep telling me here on Digital Point... has that changed now?

Qryztufre, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    No they are not our end user and it is the site owners that would be on here bleating, like you did when your site was removed for a few days because it was not returning, well actually bleating all over the web. Foew someone who does not believe DMOZ is worth much you sure made a lot of noise when you were left off.

Why would i want to prove anything to you?

How many threads did you start 200, 300? That would sound to me like pretty good experience, or was it 0 - 1? If so that does not sound like much experience at all to me.

Why did you bother to raise anything on internal threads if you could not change anything. Another Q, wonderful twist of words and ideas. If the editing community wanted to turn off suggestions it could, unfortunately, IMO, it does not want to do so. But do tell us about your re-application for editing, you never finished that story.

Anonymously, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It would be the end users getting the emails though!

I will remember that the next time I'm asked for proof, and till them I'll make any claims I wish. You see, if it's OK for YOU to not back up your claims its NOT ok for you to ask me too!

It takes doing something ONCE to have experience, luckily it happened to me three times, and in looking I saw it happening to others. As for proof, the threads all got quoted on here shortly after :D

At the time I really thought I could make a difference.

I'm not allowed to discuss it based on the non-disclosure guidelines.

Qryztufre, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  15. zaaylo

zaaylo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No chance of approval your listing is the maximum chance with DMOZ. There for Submit and take chance.

zaaylo, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  16. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Qryztufre:
    Please don't loose your time in in this thread, the TWO members who are annoying here (Anonymously, and Agent000) they have NOTHING to do EXCEPT bla bla
    First on all they are not OFFICIALLY represent DMOZ.
    Second Do you think convincing them will change anything? they think they rule the world really, while they can CHANGE NOTHING,that's why they just against any idea to change, if they agree with us, they have to act, and we all know, they will do NOTHING.
    Everyone here knows exactly why he/she wants to be listed in DMOZ including everyone works for DMOZ, simply to get more traffic,and to get more reputation to his website, when time comes that there are a real other solutions (like when google for example change his reference) No one will pay attention to this directory.
    Do you think these two members care to DOMZ when it will come down? as they say, life will go on for them.
    I would like to ask them, why you become an editor?
    Is it to make the world better? I don't think so, but just to come to such a forum and showing off.
    I am wasting my time again here, but it's good to know someone like you (Qryztufre).

decno1, Jun 8, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    That is absolutely correct, but no one one here represents DMOZ, the only place that is done is on the official AOL/DMOZ blog.
    Absolutely, I am here to try and help people understand how DMOZ works, because people have serious misunderstandings of the directory.
    That is one of the conflicts, you want to be listed to increase the value of your site, but DMOZ is not interested in giving value to sites. Other directories might be, but DMOZ is not. It exists to try and produce categorised, collated links to sites for those who want to use that type of material for their surfing. We seek to serve the end user NOT the site owner. If you have a problem with Google using our material, please take it up in their threads we do not have any influence over them. When they stopped using our descriptions in their search they did not ask or tell us. So if them using us is a problem to how we work then please go and bleat to them, we cannot affect their decisions. Also check out the many interviews with Matt Cutts to se that the DMOZ style of listing is actually the style they want and if we went to being a listing service they would certainly cease to use our material.
    Please read before you make such comments. Agent000 has never claimed to be a DMOZ editor, s/he is on your side of the fence not ours.
    I am not sure that being an editor for a directory changes the world or makes it a better place, I became an editor nearly 10 years ago because I wanted to build categories for people to use to search the internet. No more, no less. Unfortunately you do not want to hear the answers about why we do not quickly list a site or why we do not inform people, but it is how DMOZ works and if you want to change it, press the button on almost every page that says 'volunteer to edit this category', spend your spare time doing reviews, reading up on guidelines, volunteering to come into forums like this and have abuse hurled simply because we tell you how things are and when we try and help people understand why DMOZ is different from most or even all other directories. But if you don't believe me read the sticky at the top it will tell you all the things we try to say.

Q
    LOL

Anonymously, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    You are obviously unhappy with the service that DMOZ is providing you. Perhaps you should ask them for a refund.

Agent000, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  19. Hondarydr

Hondarydr Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't remember the site name but there was one site that listed you for free...I'll update this post if I remember or find it again...

Hondarydr, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  20. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I don't believe you.

Agent000, Jun 8, 2010 IP