1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get listed in DMOZ direcotry

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by umairraja52, May 30, 2010.

1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They changed nothing. They never did it. You got it wrong.

Agent000, May 30, 2010 IP
  2. bkdream

bkdream Peon

Best Answers:
    I would aslo like to know how to add my site to DOMZ

bkdream, May 30, 2010 IP
  3. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Agent000, May 30, 2010 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

1) Your site gets listed --> You get an Email
    YAY, my site has been listed, I can now go on doing nothing.

2) Your site is still waiting to be reviewed -->You don't get an email....
    I wonder whats taking them so looooooong. I better RESUBMIT as it got rejected and they didn't tell me.

3) Your site is moved to another category -->or it gets rejected as per the ADD page.
    I guess this one really has little to do with anything...

4) Your site is rejceted --> You get an email
    *looks into why site got rejected* *fixes site* *re-submits* SEE #1

As it stands now, there is no difference in this and #2, which is possibly a leading cause in re-submissions!

Is really all that difficult to understand that COMMUNICATION makes the WWW go round? Let someone know the error and WHAM things start getting done.

Letting someone know their submission was accepted (note, I didn't say their site, I said their submission! we are talking about the end user here, they don't have sites :rolleyes:) is a common courtesy, but then there is nothing common or courteous about the ODP is there?

Qryztufre, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do join us and then you can send as many emails of sites you list or don't list as you like, Q.

Whoops, you had your chance, tell us how many you sent during your editing career.

Anonymously, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I sent out three actually. Thanks for asking!

Now tell us how many you didn't bother to contact :D which is the actual point. In fact, why did ya bother to try turning this around on me, when as always it's about the ODP!!!! Stop trolling and thread hijacking.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    Qryztufre, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    So you listed three sites in your editing career?

Mine would be close to 30,000 if I had sent any and probably more for those I rejected. But that is not true because if I had sent those emails my editing capacity would have been halved because of the time involved and the pools where I edit doubled.

But we have said before we do not set ourselves up to list suggestions, if you want that there are plenty of free directories and if you want to pay there are ones where you can pay either to get your site listed quickly or get your site reviewed quickly. We are not them we do not seek to be, we are a group of hobbyists collecting collating and listing sites and we accept suggestions from the public with NO promise of when they will be reviewed. You and many others may not like that, may want to change that, but it is what we are and what we will continue to be. What is the point of us trying to imitate the thousands of directories that offer that service?

How many other directories that do not reply get any hassle, say Yahoo that lists charities for free but when they get around to it and they do not inform of rejection or acceptance, where are the arguments and where are they being called corrupt?

Anonymously, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

that's crazy talk! you are not and have NEVER been an editor!

However, if you had done 30k edits, and automated email to those submitters would not have taken any time at all on your part now would it?

Qryztufre, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Not true, I would have had to have filled in the form to say why it had been rejected and then deal with the comments on here, you know like they must be corrupt they said my site could not be listed and are you going to stump up the money or the time to put automated emails on the system? I think not. Remember we don't just deal with a couple of sites a day, we deal in hundreds. What real interest is there from a member of the public who suggests a site and three or four years later is told that it was accepted or rejected. That's a hobby of site owners and we do not exist for them, like it or lump it, it is how it is as you [according to your posts] as the editor with vast experience between us know. Incidentally you did not answer my question about how many sites you listed, just told us you managed to send 3 emails out.

But you want to maintain that I am not an editor so mute point about auto emails. Re-apply to have your editing account re-instated and you can argue it on the internal forums can't you?

Anonymously, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  10. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is Dmoz still dead - or have they rejuvenated the service to make it worth my time to submit?

m0nk3y, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  11. schatzjopie

schatzjopie Peon

Best Answers:
    hahahaa... i agree with this comment "submit and forget it" it's difficult to listed in the directory

schatzjopie, Jun 5, 2010 IP
  12. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suppose it all depends upon your hourly rate and what else you'd have done with the time. It's a 5 minute job though frankly, lots of website suggesters appear to have taken far less effort than that. If your site has any merit at all, it might well be found and listed anyway :).

jimnoble, Jun 5, 2010 IP
  13. eSupun

eSupun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I submitted my website with them. I think they'll add them if they like it ;)

eSupun, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  14. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is one issue about this DMOZ,
    Editors (most of them) are just jerks, they think they rule the world when they became editors.
    We have suggested our website 2 months ago, last month we sent an email to the editor asking him, if we got reject to tell us why, he did not answer us.
    Later after 4-5 days we resend him the email, he also did not reply, after that we got his email address (we sent a direct email to his email account), we sent an email again, he did not reply.
    We suggested our website in the EXACT place where it should be, and it really worth to be listed, so far this stupid editor thinks he is in a higher position to answer our question, they simply DON'T RESPECT US.
    Thank God they are not in a real sensitive position that life and death rely on them.

decno1, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We advise editors not to reply to emails from website owners because the ensuing conversations have a bad habit of turning into arguments or worse. Threats of violence or spam bombs have been known and there have been incidents of stalking.

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

I'm not seeing a lot of respect from you either ;)

jimnoble, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  16. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear jimnoble, many thanks for this explanation, I know already these facts but there is something missing.
    Please note that we have sent our question first two times via DMOZ form, so the editor supposed to response, we are human and we should get some respect by any kind of response,a simple reply just to let us get notified that our SOUND could be reached.
    Second, THERE SHOULD BE A GOOD SYSTEM in DMOZ, that the suggested website should be tracked, I read in this thread some ppl are waiting since many years, and they still waiting, they don't know if the website got rejected or still pending, I know some others they got approved in 10 days.
    Since DMOZ is the Major and biggest project on this earth as a directory, it should manage the following:
    1- To track the website, I don't mean to be faster, but I mean, if I suggested a website, I should know if my suggestion is: -pending, -rejected (why it was rejected) - or accepted
    2- More respect from editors to the human being.
    Thank you again

decno1, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  17. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Why? How much are you paying DMOZ for this service that you expect from them. What will you do differently and how will your life change if its pending, rejected or accepted? DMOZ is not there to provide any sort of service to webmasters.

DMOZ does not expect or need "submissions" from webmasters. A DMOZ editor uses multiple sources to find sites to add to a category. To help the editor do that, it allows the PUBLIC (not just webmasters) to make suggestions. Editors are free to look at or not look at the suggestions - it all depends on what source they choose to use on that day they decide to have a look at that category. (most of the sites listed in DMOZ were never submitted)

Agent000, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  18. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Agent000, we are in 2010, programming is just a piece of cake, servers are very cheap, why to not provide such a service?
    I saw 1000s of simple websites they are also 100% FREE, they have much more tools that what I am suggesting.
    IF DOMZ does not expect any submission, then why they bother themselves to offer this service (suggest a site), and if the Editor supposed not to answer then why they also bother themselves to make this form?

Answering your question:
    "What will you do differently and how will your life change if its pending, rejected or accepted"
    simply I will know the following:
    -Pending, This is mainly not for the webmaster/website owner, but for the Managers of those editors, plus the website owner will know the situation
    -Rejected, why it got rejected? this definitely will improve the serious websites and make them better.
    -accepted, means our duty in registering DMZ got finished, we can say then that our website fulfilled the requirements to be accepted in DMOZ.
    What will you say to those people who are waiting for years and they know nothing about the suggestion they did? some of them they really care.

You said:
    "Editors are free to look at or not look at the suggestions "
    So this means depends on their mood, their way of searching they will add the websites, don't they have some specific documentation to lead? if really this is the case, then I was wrong in my last post, EDITORS they rule the world.

decno1, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  19. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I know that! You missing the point. DMOZ just does not want to do that. If they going to do any programming its going to be to help the editors do there job, not provide services to webmasters for their SEO requirements.
    But they trying to provide a SEO link service to webmasters. DMOZ is not doing that. (BTW, they are NOT free - they all bombard you with advertisemnets and some send promotional emails - DMOZ does not do that)
    They simply allow members of the public (ie anyone) to suggest a site...its that simple. They do it as it may help the editor find the occasional gem that they might mssing using the other sources.
    Who cares?
    Why can't you improve it anyway?!!!!. How much are you paying DMOZ for this service of telling you what is wrong with your site. In most cases if a site is rejceted from DMOZ, its never likely to be listed ... a crap site is a crap site. Why do you need a DMOZ editor to tell you that! Any good site will be constantly improving.

They tried this for a while in the Status request at Resource Zone - its was a dismal failure, so they not going to do any programming to provide teh info.
    You can check for yourself!

Surely the answer to my questions should have been:
    1) Site is waiting for an editor to look at it --> life goes on and there is nothing more you can do
    2) SIte has been moved by the editor to another category for review --> life goes on and there is nothing more you can do
    3) Site has been rejected --> life goes on and there is nothing more you can do
    4) Site has been listed --> life goes on and there is nothing more you can do
    Its all in the guidlines.

You said above in response to Jim
    You really have a poor understanding about DMOZ and what DMOZ is. You expect DMOZ to be there as a listing service for webmasters for their SEO link building purposes. DMOZ is not there for that ... it never has been. Other directories provide that service, DMOZ does not. ( - all those other directories have paid options or bombard you with adverts - DMOZ does not). Your complainst are about a service that does not and will exist.

All this has been discussed numerous times over the years ..... and always rejected.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Agent000, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  20. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    To Agent000, I don't know why you are trying to be against everyone here, is it your way to get attention?
    You keep talking about how much I paying DMOZ, is this the life for you? only money? how about the GLORY that DMOZ got? how it got this glory? by getting paid? or because it is FREE?
    trust me, nothing in this life, since the very beginning is free.
    You resisted in this forum for free, and you are posting your opinions for free, we can say this is free!
    But when you get a PM or someone like me added to this thread a new post, YOU ARE GETTING NOTIFIED, right?how much you paid to get this service?
    Please stop annoying everyone, by just being against his opinion. this is not a good way!

decno1, Jun 6, 2010 IP