1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get Flash site found?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sleepy, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi I have a Flash site , and want to get my site found in search engines.
    Whats the best way to go about it?
    I think maybe I should create a html page using dreamweaver with more text on it but dont want to spoil the look of the site as it is a design based site.
    Any ideas?

sleepy, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Give it a sitemap, a title metatag, description metatag, make sure links to your websites have good anchor text, and in the topright corner make a link to a non-flash version of your website, and publish that as crappy as you like.

Be aware though that still many people will visit it. Personally I am not to pleased with flashy sites, and often go to non-flash versions. So you should at least have something on that page ;)

Dirkjan, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    yes a non-flash version should be made available.
    but then if these are getting spidered and indexed and you recieve good traffic from search engines you will want the non-flash version to look good, be updated, and serve it's purpose.

that's why it's almost not worth making completely flash sites.

google is starting to read basic flash text, but technically speaking i don't know what that means. :)

i always go to a non-flash version if there is one.
    if it doesn't look good, i leave. but that's just me.

Such Great Heights, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  4. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Flash wont index well, the best solution is probably to have a home page that gives the users a choice to either version, that way you can have your flash version with less of an impact how well you rank. Include a decent amount of html text, use headings, titles and descriptions as mentioned above.

It also reduces the amount of unwanted code (flash embed code, redirect/download scripts etc) and keeps your flash design the way you intended.

The only flash text that the search engines will pick up has to be embedded and 'unbroken'. Search Engine spiders also can't follow links in flash. Although you can use text files to provide dynamic content for your flash site. This text can also be pulled into a php template, leaving you just 1 load of updating to do each time.

Design Agent, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  5. sleepy

sleepy Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi thanks for the suggestions.I think I'll make a html site to go with the Flash.
    I like flash sites as I'm into design and you can be more creative with them, but I can see it woudln't be the way to go with a site that mainly carries information.

sleepy, Dec 3, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.