1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Get Around March 5 Google Slap?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by johnny1, Mar 5, 2008.

1. PoorGuy

PoorGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    So that kinda means almost all CPA offers?

PoorGuy, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  2. Disco_stu

Disco_stu Banned

Best Answers:
    I manage two campaigns for websites that sell ebooks. One got by completely unscathed though the landing page is pretty minimalist (links to privacy and links pages but other than that pretty much a headline with an optin box). The other site got slapped on all the search adgroups, but the content adgroups were left alone...

The site that got partially slapped has had it's bids raised before. We solved the problem by using a .org url instead.

Thinking about switching domains, but for how long is that going to hold up :confused:

Disco_stu, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  3. nadavs

nadavs Active Member

Best Answers:
    You guys won't believe it - I got one impression tonight!
    Maybe one of my keywords' bids went down for a minute, or Google just wants me to pay $10 although I bid much, much less.
    nadavs

nadavs, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  4. nadavs

nadavs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry about the double posting, but today I got another impression and a click! That's a 100% CTR for today.
    Will somebody tell me what is going on?
    nadavs

nadavs, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  5. johnny1

johnny1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Spent two 16-hour days in a row re-doing my two slapped sites. Here's what I did:

- Moved to new domains
    - Sprinkled tons of pretty pictures to dazzle Google humans.
    - Put in professional-looking headers. (Even though these hurt sales, again they dazzle Google humans.)
    - Put in 3 additional original, high-quality articles per site, for a total of 12 each.
    - Created a separate "return policy" page, since I read Google likes that.
    - Have only 1 keyword per ad group now. (Previously I had 3 per adgroup: the broad, phrase, and exact versions of a keyword. Now they're broken up.)
    - Created a separate landing page for each keyword. For example, if my site is mysite.com and someone seaches for "clicker training for dogs" they go to mysite.com/ClickerTrainingForDogs
    - Landing pages have keyword in title, meta tags, headline, text, and links. Also, I use the Adwords ad text as the headline of the landing page.
    - Landing pages also have links pages with outgoing links to relevant sites. For example, on mysite.com/ClickerTrainingForDogs I would have links to sites that show up in Google results for "clicker training for dogs."

It's extremely labor-intensive, but if this doesn't solve the Google Slap issue maybe I'll just kill myself. Results so far:

One site has gotten reasonable bid prices again, ranging from 0.04 to 0.30. More importantly, it again has traffic and is getting sales.
    The other site has gotten zero impressions, maybe because it's being held up for review.

Johnny

johnny1, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  6. expert.seo123

expert.seo123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I too got slapped by google this march 5, all relevant and good keywords went inactive..and i had to inc my cpc max to $10:(

expert.seo123, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  7. Paule

Paule Guest

Best Answers:
    Perhaps we should start another se and call it Big G or "elgoog" :eek:

Paule, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  8. Paule

Paule Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't do that because when you do you are playing into their greedy mits! check your sites pages and rectify them!

Don't ever give in to the Greedy Gits because that will make it even worse!

Not just for you but for everyone

Paule, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  9. Rumor

Rumor Peon

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

Rumor, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  10. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:
    And who tf are you now? 12 posts.. Entertainment forum is lower on list.

_vlada_, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  11. veneficuz

veneficuz Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that the display url is as important as the real destination. Even putting google.com makes my qs go up. I've redone some domains and some landing pages. Google has been relentless lately, and seem to go "slap happy.

Any updates Johnny with your labor intensive work, fix everything?

Vene

veneficuz, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  12. Cataclysmic

Cataclysmic Peon

Best Answers:
    http://adwords.blogspot.com/2007/09/websites-that-may-merit-low-landing.html

...says they don't like "ebook sites that show frequent ads". What does "show frequent ads" mean? Does it mean ebook sites that have a lot of ads displayed on the website? Does it mean ebook sites that advertise through adwords a lot? Something else? Very ambiguous!

Cataclysmic, Mar 26, 2008 IP