1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get a link from en.wikipedia.org ?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by nevalex, Oct 31, 2006.

nevalex, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  2. Dassie

Dassie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well,it all depends where you want your link displayed.If you for example want your link to be maybe displayed on a programming page in wikipedia,search for it on the site.Click on a relevant page about maybe what is programming etc.Once on that page create an account on wikipedia.After that,check,if there are some link to other pages at the bottom.If there is,click on the "edit" link on that page.The source code of that page will be displayed.Scroll to the bottom where the links are and add yours.Once finished click on save or preview to see how it will look.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Dassie, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  3. Dassie

Dassie Peon

Best Answers:
    You can check this link,if the links in the signature is what you want to link to frm wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming

At the bottom is external links,you can add yours there as I described.

Dassie, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  4. nevalex

nevalex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nevalex, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  5. nevalex

Best Answers:
    ok I see it....

what is more important...

looks like adding a link is not a problem.... I think that everybody would have done that - but this page is not a link farm... so there are some regulations that must be fulfilled

do you know any... or where it can be read?

l

nevalex, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    write your own article. adding your link is the simplest way to do and that is spam i think. they will not allow to do that. wiki editors read all articles. if you make spam , i'm sure they will prevent you

trichnosis, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  7. nevalex

Best Answers:
    So if I write an article - I can post it somewhere there? And If they like it... they will keep it? Is this how it works?

Where can I add this article? As I already have one at hand... should I e-mail it to the editor? So he/she could look through it and aproove or dissapprove it. Or I can put it manually through "edit" ?

Any ideas?

nevalex, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  8. lawdog

lawdog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got a few links in Wiki but they were soon removed. I did this months ago before I understood there rules. The best way to get a link is to build something link worthy. It is also a good idea to contribute as much as you can. The more you give the more you can promote.

lawdog, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  9. tekmox

tekmox Member

Best Answers:
    Wiki takes down links very fast if you are just adding links on there. The point of wiki is more of you contribute something into the page that is worth it for the other users to go to instead of you trying to drive traffic into your site.

For example, if you look up dogs, there must be different kinds of dogs. If your website have information about how different breeds of dogs are or compare one to another, then maybe you can try to add a link at the bottom. Otherwise, if your selling dog food and dog supplies, it will probably be gone real fast.

tekmox, Nov 1, 2006 IP
  10. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is an interesting method for getting links from Wikipedia. Involves some work...

1. Find the Wikipedia article that you REALLY want a link from. Unfortunately, a link on this page will usually be out of the question. So...

2. Look for Wikipedia articles that are very closely related to that initial article that are either very short/sketchy, or don't exist at all. It is best when these articles are wikilinked from the original article you really wanted the link from and even better when the wikilink is in red, meaning that an article was not written yet.

3. Research the hell out of the subject matter of the article that is related to the original one you wanted a link from. Write a great page on it, in your own style, and put it on YOUR website. No ads, no crap around it.

4. Then re-write the article in a more "wikipedia" style, and put it up on Wikipedia. Then at the bottom link to the page you created on your website as the source.

5. Make sure that the article is linked from the original article you wanted the link from, so it is passing its content related link juice through to you via this extra step.

6. Try and build further wikilinks from other related wikipedia articles into the article with the link to your site, to increase its link juice.

7. Repeat as necessary.

Hope that is of use. Any feedback/suggestions?

With this tactic, you are not spamming wikipedia, you are helping it by adding articles they need that currently are too short/sketchy or don't exist. :D Everyone is a winner!

BuenosAires, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  11. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    BuenosAires thanks for the tip. i apply these tips and write result here

trichnosis, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  12. cocaine

cocaine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In whole we need to write a good article with our link to our website.

cocaine, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  13. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it's a little more than that.

If the article you write on Wikipedia has nothing to do with your website, I doubt the link will stay up for long.

However, if the Wikipedia article is obviously largely based on another article on your website, then the link is likely to last. Providing the article is of a good quality and more or less in line with Wikipedia guidelines.

BuenosAires, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  14. Hoosierhunter

Hoosierhunter Peon

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia articles are edited constantly by admin, competitors, helpful folks, and even trolls. Good luck.

Hoosierhunter, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  15. TorchedSEO

TorchedSEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The easiest way to get wikipedia links is by making a "news" section on your site about your industry. For example if you had a mortgage site you could put in news about rates rising and then just search blogs for opions from mortgage "experts" and include it on your news story. Then on wikipedia you make the link "experts predicting 07 real estate buble" or whatever is relevent.

TorchedSEO, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  16. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Here are some tips I which I've discovered:
    • Create an account first - I'm guessing that anonymous edits are less tolerated compared to edits by registered users.
    • Check the history of the page before you submit the link. If there's a lot of recent activity and many comments like "removed link spam", then you may struggle to keep your link in.
    • Change the default edit comment from the default /* External Links */ to something like "Added related link". Editors will be looking out for the default comment...
    • Don't add all your links on the same day - spread them over several days or weeks.
    • Also look for articles on www.WikiHow.com. They are much shorter than on Wikipedia, and harder to add links too. I usually look for similar WikiHow articles, and link them together while also adding my own (highly relevant) link.
    Cryo.

Cryogenius, Nov 5, 2006 IP
  17. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you go about this method, I dont think your link will stay long on Wiki :eek: You have to make a useful contribution and 'earn' the link from Wiki. Having a very useful site, on a very specific niche can help, and writing articles, as the other posts mentioned will help.

rosiee007, Nov 5, 2006 IP
  18. wireddeals

wireddeals Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is some food for thought. Taken from searchenginewatch forum.

A warning to those adding their own sites to Wikipedia
    Wikipedia is considering working with Google to battle link-spam, and adding your own site to an article IS considered spamming. Read more:
    joostdevalk.nl/blog/the-risks-of-link-spamming-wikipedia/

wireddeals, Nov 5, 2006 IP
  19. TomN

TomN Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my non-profit websites was related to several pages on Wikipedia.

I was browsing wikipedia one day and I found these related pages and thought, "hey if I list this website, users can find out more specific info about blahblah".

So I added a link to the homepage for a highly related page, and a few more very deep links to extremely specific topics.

It adds value for users when you don't try to create content for wikipedia... your website should be created WELL before you even consider adding a link to Wikipedia.

TomN, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  20. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have found a very good way recently.
    I go to wiki pages that are about my niche. I then create a html file on my domain that has a huge page of pictures of that particular niche.
    No other links, no ad''s, no text. Just a headline that says
    "Pictures of blah blah"

So far I'm 2 for 2. One is a link form a pr5 wiki and the other is a link from a pr2.

I mean, I guess it doesn't really help my site any because there are no links pointing back at my main site, but whatever. It only takes a few min to do it, and it certainly cant hurt my sites ranking. And it actually ad's to the quality of the wiki community and particular page. It's a win/win situation.

Maybe the next page I do, I will add a small link at the bottom that says "Back to homepage" or something. I'm going to keep playing with it and see what I can do. I think that if you're adding good stuff to the wiki, no ad's, no links or other crap, then your link will be accepted.
    I used to do the same thing as I'm doing now, only I would have the pictures displayed along with my sites template and links, the link would quickly be removed accompanied by a nasty note for the reason it was removed.

Hope this helps you.
    Just remember, make sure the link is aimed at helping the wiki page, not your page. If you get a link on there, even if it has no links back to your main page, you still benefit. Just try to work FOR the wikipage, not for your page.

Good luck!

ly2, Nov 6, 2006 IP