1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to find work at a writer?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Mothman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ShivJaiswaL

ShivJaiswaL Banned

Best Answers:
    I cant say about copy writing on the internet but you can search good work for content writing in Freelancer sites . Thay are paying good payments.

ShivJaiswaL, Feb 11, 2012 IP
  2. Teabag

Teabag Member

Best Answers:
    I'm looking for a decent writer for more than 2 years already and all "Americans" claiming that they can "write better" than "whoever else" unable to write a normal "readable" article.
    All they can produce is a set of a properly written English sentences. I'm not talking about Indians and other pretenders even.
    When i read here your "desirable" rates like $15 or $100 per article i would like to ask : " who the hell is going to buy your crap for even $15 here on DP?" If you would be that great in writing - you would be hired already by established magazine and would never post here your useless statements.

I'm looking for a writer here on DP for $10 per 500 words articles, but i'm looking to spend around $500 per month at least - nothing wrong with such a price. If you are that freakin good - find a job for $5000, but stop making useless statements, which are too far from reality.

Teabag, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Teabag, you've taken it a bit personally! No one wrote, "how to make a living on DP". This was a general terms discussion and the fact is the $5 "standard rate" on DP doesn't reflect reality. (A copywriter job for a company in the UK will be about $30,000+/year.) There are other places and ways to make money copywriting beyond DP, Fiverr and all those other places flooded with low-wage workers.

ryan_uk, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as no one on DP paying professional rates, it's true that you won't see rates like that in the BST areas. But, I can guarantee you there are deals being brokered via PM all the time that involve professional rates.

I find the attitude by so many here fascinating. This whole, "I believe your work is only worth X, and I'm not willing to spend more but I want the same quality as something worth 2, 3 or even 10 times that price." seems to only exist in the online world. Thank goodness the rest of the world doesn't work that way.

YMC, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  5. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Freelance Opportunities Job Sites:

Elance is a great market place for professionals of all walks of life. Whether you are a writer or a designer, you can get some decent work trough Elance. Membership accounts range from FREE to $39.95/month for large businesses.Elance charges a service fee of between 6.75 % – 8.75 % for paid jobs.Guru is designed to service freelancers of all kinds and has a very active bulletin board. I’m a free member of Guru and so far I haven’t managed to score a job with them. I believe that it is probably better paying for membership if you are serious at scoring a decent writing job.Guru offers FREE as well as paid memberships and they range from $29.95 to $99.95 per quarter. Once you get paid for a job well done, Guru takes between 5 % – 10 % commission.ScriptLance is probably the most known website for freelancers all around the world. It is also the most notorious since most freelancers find work there first. Many freelancers sell themselves really cheap there just to get some work and this is damaging the whole industry.I personally have had some great finds there but the secret is to stand out from the crowd. Don’t sell yourself short!ScriptLance is FREE for all and they take a 5 % commission on work paid to you.oZLance is a freelance website focused to bring more connections to Australian and New Zealand professionals and connecting business owners with freelancers. The site is still very young but is also open to worldwide registration.You can sign up for FREE and pay a small fee to get accredited if you want to for better exposure. There isn’t much traffic yet and you won’t find too many writing gigs, but having said this, there are the occasional bargains.Freelance Writing is one of those sites to get lost in easily. They have a huge range of information and links leading to other related websites. Whenever I visit the site I find myself still browsing an hour later. So be warned!Journalism Jobs is simply put a job website for many professionals around the world. Some are in house based and others allow you to work remote.The best way to see whether there are suitable offers for your experience is to do a keyword search.Get A Freelancer is similar to ScriptLance and again it is probably more so a good site for beginners in freelance writing since the money is mostly very bad. There is nothing wrong with writing for $5 an article when you first start out, but once you gain credibility and experience this is simply ridiculous.Writer Lance (updated 21.January 2008 site is down and seemingly no longer available) is a new favorite of mine. There are plenty of job offers and they seem to pay a decent rate too. Registration is FREE and they charge you a 3 % fee of your income.Suite 101 is an article/freelance site that invites freelance writers into their network. They claim to get 6 millions of views every month and will pay you a share of their income. What is great about Suite 101 is the fact that they have such a broad article gallery where you will find something to write about in your chosen field.You Can sign up for FREE and start earning revenue straight away by writing great articles.iFreelance is one of the best freelance websites because of the sheer amount of good paying jobs available. Membership levels vary between $ 3.91 – $ 6.58/month but that is all you pay. iFreelance doesn’t charge you a commission fee of your earnings. So fire away by applying for your dream jobs.Helium is a freelance writers platform that lets you indulge into your craft. Possible income happens from being very active on the site and write a lot. Articles are voted by the active community and you can also compete for paid freelancing gigs.Helium has a huge active reader and writer base and you can write about any topic you like.CraigsList has been a secret money maker for many entrepreneurs on the Internet for month. It is a huge job and advertising network that spans across the globe and is free to use. You can source writing jobs and a lot more.You can also advertise your services for free but you need to be careful not to scam the system. If you do, your ads will be gone in no time.Pro Blogger Job Board is updating all kinds of online jobs every week. You will find blogging jobs, writing, designand more. But you have to be quick in snapping up the good ones as his site is heavily trafficked.So check back often!Please remember that in order to land yourself some good paying freelance writing jobs you will need to be professional in your approach and possibly have an online resume. It also helps if you have client testimonialsfrom past clients since it validates your claim to fame.Make it a habit to stand out from the crowd in order to get noticed. I have personally managed to snap some jobs because I dared to be different so it has served me well.But always be true to yourself and don’t lie about your experience – it will only bite you in the bum. If you have to start low, then do it. Work it and before you know you will be able to earn a satisfactory income as a freelance writer.

Sam Gilmore, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  6. sarahdb

sarahdb Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have no experience and nothing behind you, starting with $5 might be a good idea. Make sure those articles are really good so then you can use them as examples to land better-paying jobs.

sarahdb, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  7. MoneyPuppet

MoneyPuppet Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really want to mention this, because it will create more competition for me, but there are a few websites online that hire copywriters. You complete assignments that the website's clients want completed, and the website pays you. If you're starting out and need money quickly, that's a good way to start. Most of those sites only hire USA-based writers and the pay rates aren't negotiable. You also don't have to bid on projects all the time.
    There are a lot of writer blogs that have information on those websites.

I also want to mention that I've seen many professional authors list 2 cents per word as a standar professional rate. Obviously, you can charge more if you're a very talented writer with a great portfolio.

MoneyPuppet, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  8. Andy_Button

Andy_Button Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Man, I know places that pay $50 an article and up, easily. The people who pay $5 an article are just wannabe internet marketers who are starting up niche sites and want to improve their search engine rankings. You can get paid to write on blogs that want real, expert content; or, you can write a book, and write for free in exchance for an ad with a link back to your book's order page. Either strategy is better than working for $5!

Andy_Button, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  9. vip123

vip123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think $5 per 500 words is cheap. A person must loving writing accept wages like that.

vip123, May 16, 2012 IP
    DreamingBig likes this.
  10. bob maxey

bob maxey Peon

Best Answers:
    Two kinds of writers I should think. Those that think five dollars for 500 words is a good deal and professionals with years in the game that are paid perhaps several dollars per word and laugh at most of these "writers." Hell, I remember being paid eight cents per word in 1974 for God's sake. Now I am paid five hundred to twelve hundred per piece, or more. It is not web content writing, spinning Wikipedia articles and other crap.

Far too many people think they are writers and the current climate not only rewards these cretins with slave wages, but it damages some professionals.

My advice to those with a passion for writing is to avoid writing and spinning web content for slave wages and learn how to become a writer. Many will fail because the legitimate opportunities require skill and talent and you are not going to be paid over night.

bob maxey, May 17, 2012 IP
  11. bob maxey

bob maxey Peon

Best Answers:
    Fifty dollars is still not a good rate. I am paid more than a dollar a word. I am laughed at when I tell web site owners what a 500 word piece will cost them.

bob maxey, May 17, 2012 IP
  12. sameerasam

sameerasam Peon

Best Answers:
    i also like to work as writer...

sameerasam, May 26, 2012 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that your inbox will be flooded with requests for your services. As you've so aptly demonstrated your abilities.

Spoiltdiva, May 26, 2012 IP
    pigpromoter likes this.
  14. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that they will pay yoy 50 only if you have an experience and a lot of previous already published quality articles. Or am I wrong?

Sam Gilmore, Jul 10, 2012 IP