1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to find the sites that copy your content ??

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by mandoleen, Sep 22, 2006.

how to find the sites that copy your content ??

mandoleen, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  2. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  3. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Copyscape is great. Depending on your individual circumstances, it may even be worth signing up for a premium account. Although it's primary use is to guard against plagiarism of your website content, it's also a great way to check the verity of an articles originality or other stuff before you pay ;)

wrmineo, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  4. ivenms

ivenms Peon

Best Answers:
    That is great site.

ivenms, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  5. SEO Tutor©

SEO Tutor© Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO Tutor©, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  6. ivenms

ivenms Peon

Best Answers:
    That is not much effective

ivenms, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  7. SEO Tutor©

SEO Tutor© Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you have not given a reason why you say this, or an example for what is and/or what isn't an effective method, I'd have to say your 5 word comment means little to nothing.

SEO Tutor©, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  8. n.b

n.b Peon

Best Answers:
    Copyscape. If you need it more often get a premium account other free works great.

n.b, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  9. Diablos

Diablos Guest

Best Answers:

Agreed dude, I hate it when people do this.
    I like Copyscape but there are loads of way to get around anything on the internet, and there always will be.
    "text" is something you should just check anyway, I usually do it as a 'backup' check.

Diablos, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  10. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Copyscape rocks. I've found at leat 6 sites that I have stolen content from mine over the last week. One was stupid enough not even to cut the images out of the article though so it was showing on my referer logs :rolleyes:

MattUK, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  11. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i found 2 sites that did that with my pages, using my bandwidth to feed my movies and pics to thier site with my pages, and thier "written by *** and copyright of www.stole sammies pages .com"
    well one email to thier host and plink, site not found, and that was 3 hours and 8 hours of contacting thier hosts. :D

gotta love it when they paid for a years hosting the month before, and they dont get thier money back lmfao :rolleyes:

samantha pia, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  12. SEO Tutor©

SEO Tutor© Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see how one could derive pleasure from causing another person to lose money, or bring them grief. While I of course don't condone plagiarism of website content, given the hundreds of instances over the years where another website was found copying portions from either my clients, or our own websites, invariably 99% of them were resolved after a single Cease And Desist notice by email.

Only a tiny few required contacting the host, and only then after other means were exhausted.

I think everyone deserves the first benefit of doubt and a chance -- much more classy too.

SEO Tutor©, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  13. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i see nothing classy about it, the same guy owned both sites, was stealing my bandwidth, passing my content off as his own, just one 10mb movie hit 10 times an hour can soon rack up your monthly bandwidth usage, to a point that you worry you'll have to buy more from your host, when infact you're paying for some little shit who's stealing it.

he stole off me, he lost both his sites, and lost his money, thats the chance he took, if he hosted my movies on his server, i would never have found out,

being born stupid is no excuse.

samantha pia, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  14. SEO Tutor©

SEO Tutor© Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you misunderstood me; didn't mean it was "classy" for him/her to leach your bandwidth. I was referring to your causing another human being grief (just because you could) as not being classy.

I agree that it's unethical for the person to do what you've described, however, when you remark "gotta love it", you imply pleasure received by inflicting pain upon another rather than regret having to contact the host (which in my opinion should have been a last resort action).

15. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd derive a lot of pleasure from causing a thief to lose money. I believe it's called karma ;)

MattUK, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  16. instyle

instyle Guest

Best Answers:
    what to do if you caught somebody?

instyle, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  17. SEO Tutor©

SEO Tutor© Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree -- it's not called Karma -- more correctly it's called raw revenge and spite.

If one cultivates compassion, human decency and fairness, one receives the same in return -- that's what's referred to as good Karma.

Let's say you left a gold coin on the street corner overnight; you came back the next day and it was gone. Would the person who picked it up be a thief? If you left your house open and unlocked while away on a 6 week trip, would anything likely be missing upon your return?

Key word here is >> PREVENTION

There are numerous ways webmasters can prevent their content and files being hijacked. Here's one off the top of my head that can be applied from a .htaccess file rather easily...

IndexIgnore *

SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "^http://www.website.com/" locally_linked=1
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "^http://www.website.com$" locally_linked=1
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "^http://www.website.com/" locally_linked=1
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "^http://www.website.com$" locally_linked=1
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "^$" locally_linked=1
    <FilesMatch "\.(gif|png|jpe?g)$">
      Order Allow,Deny
      Allow from env=locally_linked
    </FilesMatch>
    Code (markup):

18. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've got no problems causing hassle for someone who steals my content. If they didn't steal it in the first place then they wouldn't have left themselves open to problems anyway.
    Why should I have to waste my own valuable time sorting out problems caused by the selfisness of others?
    Nowadays I just fire off a cease and decist to address on the whois, the host and the domain registrar at the same time. I'm not about to spend any longer than that on it, and why should I have to?

There's nothing that can prevent content theft. Hotlinking limages is different.

MattUK, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  19. SEO Tutor©

SEO Tutor© Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I hear ya dude -- wouldn't it be great if there was a kill button on your mouse; whenever someone did something you didn't like you could just murder them! Much faster and a whole lot less bothersome having to sort stuff out. Pitiful little humans; they deserve a miserable death anyway.

=== not ===​

Look, if someone puts heavy files on the Web in the public domain, they've got to be prepared for the extra band width and expect others might start linking to the files too. Do you think YouTube or Google Video is contacting everyone's host demanding that their accounts be suspended?

My point is exactly what you're echoing now -- send the cease and desist first.

As for anti-leeching, try Versalsoft's IIS Anti-leech Sniffer Dog.

20. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not talking about video/picture files. I wouldn't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is me spending several hours writing an article, and them some ass spending 1 minute copying and pasting that article to their site with no link back or credit at all. In the process creating a duplicate content issue that messes up my search engine rankings, gets pages de-indexed and loses me time an money.
    I've actually sent out 3 more emails this afternoon on top of the 5 or so I sent last week. So to put it bluntly I'm a little pissed off at the moment so would quite happliy agree with having a kill button on my mouse!

Again, that's not really going to help with theft of articles. Copyscape is good at picking them up, but again it takes time to find contact info and send out the emails.

MattUK, Oct 1, 2006 IP