1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to find out if a site has been submitted.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by BNiUK, Mar 31, 2006.

Is there a way to find out if your site has been submitted or not? I know this sounds strange but one of our previous webdesigners cannot remember if he submitted the site to DMOZ or not!

I run the risk of multiple submissions if i submit myself or no submissions at all if i don't - is there a way to find out before hand?

Needless to say... he's not employed anymore!

The category is http://dmoz.org/Adult/Shopping/Sex_Toys_and_Supplies/B/

Can anyone help?

BNiUK, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  2. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    There is no way of finding out.
    But on the other hand it won't be a problem to suggest the site one more time.

pagode, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    don't try re-submitting it again, dude... contrary to want aquarius wrote dmoz editors might consider it spam, so best wait and see if an editor who reads this thread is kind enough to check for you and let you know.

ryan_uk, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  4. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Please don't tell lies.

Suggesting a site (or related sites) to many categories will be seen as spam.
    Suggesting a site a second time won't be spam. Certainly not if it is to the same category.
    Even suggesting it a few more times to the same category won't be seen as spam. It most probably won't be seen by editors at all as it just overwrites the previous suggestion.

pagode, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  5. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I am not telling lies. If you read the posts here, many of them contradict your statement. And as I understand the submission guideliness it asks not to resubmit and that doing so can result in exclusion or deletion of the site from dmoz.

ryan_uk, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  6. BNiUK

BNiUK Peon

Best Answers:
    Any editors kind enough to let me know if the site has been submitted?

BNiUK, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  7. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm a DMOZ editor and I will not. And I very much doubt any other editor will. We have tried this at Resource Zone and it was found to be of no use at all. Not to DMOZ and not to the honest webmasters.
    If we would start giving you this information tomorrow 5 other people will ask and within weeks we would be swamped with these requests.

As you have written you site maybe suggested once.
    There are 2 possibilities.
    The ex-webdesigner did not suggest your site. You are allowed to suggest the site.
    The ex-webdesigner did suggest your site. You are allowed to suggest the site. Just suggesting the site a second time won't do you any harm. (just forget about ryan_uk postings, he is not an editor and does not know how DMOZ internal procedures are working)

But please remember we can not prededict when a suggested site might get reviewed. It could be within a few days, it can also take several years. And we will not send you any notice when the site is reviewed.

pagode, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  8. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Peon

Best Answers:
    I read several posts from people claiming to be DMOZ editors who said that a new submission puts an already submitted URL at the end of the queue again.

Was their statement incorrect ?

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  9. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    aquarius might not like me personally, but BNiUK this is from dmoz's guidelines themselves warning about multiple submissions (or is this out-of-date aquarius???):

http://dmoz.org/add.html
    But as aquarius is an editor he is right and there shouldn't be any problems. Good luck, mate. :)

ryan_uk, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  10. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    I don't see how any of this is relevant.DMOZ is a waste of time.Why people hang so much importance on it is beyond me.Just do a search for something over there and you get a load of crappy spam in the results.
    For something that purports to only list good sites.....don't make me laugh.How about this quote from submission guidelines "The Open Directory has a policy against the inclusion of sites with illegal content."
    All of those submission rules and we get sites like "Freak Horse Sex - Photographs of a variety of women being mounted or sucking c**k"

And catagories like "Adult: Image Galleries: Activities and Practices: Bestiality: Free"

Illegal content.As far as I know beastiality is illegal and there a catagory on it?????????

It's a bloody disgrace.A bunch of self important,self ass kissing egotists.
    Well as far as I'm concerned they can kiss my hairy poo piece.
    Rant over.

P.s I'm allowed the beastiality thing............I'm a dog.:D

MKInfo, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  11. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    No their statement was not incorrect.

Let me try to explain.
    An editor has many ways to sort the pool of suggested sites in a catgeory. One of these is on date suggested. When you suggest a site a second time to the same category it will overwrite the previous suggestion. As a result the suggestion date will change and you would be at the end of the sorted list.

pagode, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You are mistaken. Several DMOZ editors have given and do give feedback on whether or not a site has been reviewed or is still waiting in queue. Some of them have done it here at DP.

Actually, The Resourceless Zone was tried and found to be of no use to at all. Not to webmasters and not to the honest DMOZ editors.

minstrel, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  13. accountability

accountability Peon

Best Answers:
    If a site is submitted multiple times to the same category in the same way, the system will generally replace the older suggestion with the newer one. In this case there is no apparent spam (and no possibility of penalty), since no record is kept of the earlier submissions. If an editor reviews that category in date order, then the repeated submissions push the site to the end of the list.

If between one submission and the next an editor adds a note to the site submission, then the next submission will not replace it, and there is a record of multiple submissions, If an editor sees the second submission, and deletes it before the third one arrives (and replaces the second), then you start to build up a record of spamminess.

If multiple submissions are made in somewhat different ways, say for example two employees of an SEO company submit the site, then it's possible the second will not replace the first, and it's more likely to look like spam.

As far as status, if no editor left a note, its impossible to find any status unless you know the exact category, and that requires an editor who can access the category. Therefore most editors are technically unable to provide status even if they wanted to. So if an editor posts a message here saying he will not provide status, it's probable he could not do so anyway, or it means he is an editall who decides he does not want to bother.

accountability, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  14. Papoloko

Papoloko Peon

Best Answers:
    accountability,
    Great explanation!
    DMOZ should give commendations to editors that post like you do... Congrats!!! :D

Papoloko, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not really. Another editor should still be able to find out if the submitted site is still in queue... note or no note.

minstrel, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  16. Papoloko

Papoloko Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel
    As an explanation I think it was great the way that accountability posted it. I wasn't talking about the rules being right or wrong. :D

Papoloko, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't normally mind checking status but there's no way I could tell the original poster his site status. He doesn't tell us his URL so I'd have no way to check. :confused:

compostannie, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  18. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    If an editor doesn't have permissions in the category - they can't see what is sitting in unreviewed. I can only see the unreviewed in the categories listed in my profile (and the subcategories of those categories).

I could add something called an @link and find out how many sites are in unreviewed for a specific category - but that wouldn't tell me which sites are there.

lmocr, Mar 31, 2006 IP