1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to find a niche ?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by necromanc, Jul 16, 2006.

I read something about this topic and they said about finding a niche the next thing.

Search a keyword with Overture, and compare searches with results from SE.

I did that but I find a lot of competition for every keyword I've found I had milions of results.And I think is hard to get on top with millions of results already online.

What you suggest ? Targeting 2 or 3 words - keyword ? I can do that but there is so little traffic.

necromanc, Jul 16, 2006 IP
    Mong likes this.
  2. ORiN

ORiN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Less traffic, yes but you get more targetted traffic that are more likely to convert if you are selling a product.

ORiN, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry so much about just choosing a niche b/c the keywords are hot now. Choose something you know a lot about and something that you'll stay passionate about in the long haul. Keyword popularity can always change. What's hot now could be old hat in a few months, and if that's all that had you going, you wasted your time w/o likely building a huge income yet from that site, and its resale value would be down.

Jenn

jhmattern, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  4. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    agree 100%. Focus on your hobbies and write, write, write about it.

infonote, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  5. AndrewNortwell

AndrewNortwell Peon

Best Answers:
    When first starting out, make a list of everything that interests you. You don't even have to know much about it. Just start making a list of everything you have an interest in and don't edit yourself.

Once you do that, then you can do a few searches on keywords to see if there are enough searches for you to do some good. Don't worry about too many searches at this point.

Check the overture bids to see if people are paying at least $0.50 for the top spot. Do a google search on those keywords that do and see if anyone is selling any information products. You want there to be a few products here. Yes, they are competition, but they can also be partners and things you can promote as an affiliate until you have your own product.

Then, set up a blog about your chosen subject... you can use blogger.com or wordpress.com. both are free. Then be sure to post 2 or 3 messages per day for a few days... after that, you only need to do one or two per day. But you need to blog something every day. Sign up with technorati.com and use them to tag your posts. Use Pingoat.com to ping every time you blog an entry.

Ok, i've went a little deeper than you probably asked for... but you can do this very easily and start getting traffic within two weeks.

Andrew Nortwell

AndrewNortwell, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  6. treasurechest

treasurechest Active Member

Best Answers:
    When researching a niche, define a problem or question surfers have, and then provide them with a solution. When searching for keywords, and even if the niche is worth pursuing, use phrases in wordtracker such as "how keyword" "can keyword", "where keyword", "why keyword". Even if your competition is millions of pages, research the top search results and see if those pages are providing a clear solution. If they are not, you have a decent shot at making sales :)

treasurechest, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  7. srdjan

srdjan Peon

Best Answers:
    Asking how to find a good niche is like asking someone how to find a girlfriend.

Eventualy, its easy to find it but if many others have been there before you the feeling will not be the same.

I would agree with the others. In my experience, many of the nice niche websites I have were born while I was looking and analysing my webstats. It often happens that a specific term has been driving SE traffic to my website, while this term was just mentioned on my website somewhere in the content. That can be a good proof that a niche for specific terms & keywords are free for you to invade. So, stats are your friends. Finding a niche on your stats is like having the girl from the first line of my post asking your friends about you, and sending you initial signals! ;)

srdjan, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  8. qrisp

qrisp Peon

Best Answers:
    Find something you like. It is quasi impossible to grow a site which does not interest you the least bit.

I have found that I grow communities on topics which interest me then a few months down the road they find themselves worth more than I had imagined.

Whereas, I've started sites with 'hot' keywords - they are now in the depths of my harddrive.

qrisp, Jul 24, 2006 IP