1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to effectively advertise on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by openfire, Nov 27, 2006.

1. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Noah because so many ads come in that ur ad gets pushed out of teh page so fast u cant even sneeze. If your providing a valuable service whats their problem with it? If people really like the service why should get get their panties in a bunch. I really hope a new wave of classified sites come in and get them out of business

pingpong123, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  2. openfire

openfire Peon

Best Answers:
    Care to share how you are able to post links without them being taken down?

openfire, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  3. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If everyone knew it would not work. Just letting you know that there is hope and it can be done.

redgsr, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  4. parusa619

parusa619 Banned

Best Answers:
    Try these methods on craigslist. I used these methods in advertising my site in Craigslist.

- Create a link using the <a href="http://www.mysite.com">Keyword</a>... in your content.

eg. <a href="www.amazon.com">Amazon</a> is an online store blah blah...

- If you want to avoid bans in your IP, try looking for free anonymous proxies.

- Use different emails in each post. Multiple posts per day using one email may lead to Craigslist penalty/ban.

parusa619, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  5. muzakman

muzakman Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, you should never literally spam any site. But I agree with Brian redgr, used correctly, it does help get your site spidered quicker.

muzakman, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  6. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Biggest part of keeping from being flagged is to make sure that the post applies to the category you are listing in and that the ad has sufficient information in it that the link is more of a side point.

If you advertise rentals, then list the information on one of the rentals in the right housing section, with pictures and all of the information needed to contact you, information about the rental etc. Then add a link "if you want more information".

You are still going against the TOS. But in most cities they let it pass. Bear in mind it's the people reading the ads that vote to get you flagged, normally not craigslist itself. They don't like the "Come see my site at *****.com" posts.

Also, the posts only last 7-45 days. It might help you get spidered, but beyond that craigslist does not help you with the search engines, the link is too temporary. However if you have something to sell, it is great for getting people looking at your stuff.

If you have a service, you can safely post a link in the services category.

adacprogramming, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  7. Judd

Judd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh contraire my friend, I provide a VERY legit service on craigs and I get flagged all the time. Its never a big deal but kind of a hassle that I have to always go back and add my service again.

Judd, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  8. EasyMoney1

EasyMoney1 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's a great place to get new leads and generate new traffic.

EasyMoney1, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  9. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are several reasons your ad may get taken off. If you exceed the number of daily limits per email. There may be more reasons. But there are people who really use some techniques overcoming that. Most of them use multiple email address.

I was looking for job few years back, I had to post same ad on some cities. They took all off. I got little upset, decided I would make one. I did launch one, webcosmo.com

webcosmo, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  10. gkgk11

gkgk11 Peon

Best Answers:
    You have bumped several old toppics, have you even realized most of them are many months old?

gkgk11, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  11. PDX Nikki

PDX Nikki Peon

Best Answers:
    I have actually been doing this for my own websites and have recently started a service here doing this for others. There are many new obstacles at CL but as with any obstacle there is a way to get around it.

No your links do not stay up very long and many people argue to say that this is nothing but a waste of time however I have seen the results. When many of the states here in the US banned online gambling and many sites were not accepting US players, I started posting links to my site where there are lists of places you can still play online. The outcome of this was enormous.

I do understand what many people are saying about not spamming on CL but that is pretty much what it is there for...there is nothing you can't buy or sell on CL...nothing ;) Just my .02 :)

Nikki

PDX Nikki, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  12. zorde

zorde Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently read that the trick to getting craiglist to work for you is to design great looking images with your sale pitch etc all on the one graphic. (like a full color handout flyer or pamphlet).

I don't suppose you post video advertisements on craiglist?

zorde, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  13. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:

This trick actually doesn't work, with all respect. They have some list of commercial websites. At least mine one is there, I know. If your post have url from that list, the system wont allow you submit it.

webcosmo, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  14. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    craigslist isn't worth the effort to advertise on

besides people use it for serious matters like buying and selling stuff it isn't a good way to get traffic in my opinion

when I was first beggining marketing online I did cragslist ads but it isn't worth the time

forums are way better for getting traffic

ErikJ, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  15. Ankur Sharma

Ankur Sharma Peon

Best Answers:
    Strange , they delete mine ads in 2 minutes :eek:

Ankur Sharma, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  16. PDX Nikki

PDX Nikki Peon

Best Answers:
    I have actually had a few customers that asked for this type of ad to be posted. I don't approve of these so much as I don't think this is the most effective way to get traffic. I have found that text posts receive more responses. But that is my personal opinion. YMMV

PDX Nikki, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  17. MtCowboy4Life

MtCowboy4Life Peon

Best Answers:
    if you register and are logged in, your posting will stay active 45 days instead of 7. also, is it more valuable to say for example.

Post your house on our for sale by owner website at www.soldbyme.com or

to have that whole sentence as a link?

MtCowboy4Life, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  18. PDX Nikki

PDX Nikki Peon

Best Answers:
    Being registered and logged in does not determine how long your ad stays active. Activity has to do with which city and area you are posting in. Cities that do not receive a lot of traffic generally keep the ads active for 45 days where as more frequently visited cities like Portland the ads only stay active for 7 days because there are tons of ads posted daily.

My personal opinion of your question (not that I am claiming to know it all hehe) is that having jus the addy as the link rather than the whole sentence would be more valuable and less spammy looking. But thats just my personal opinion ;)

PDX Nikki, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  19. webdesign212

webdesign212 Peon

Best Answers:
    To do multiple postings on craig's list you need to rotate your IP address, email address and ad copy. I recomend only posting 5 or 6 postings per IP address.

To get diffrent IPs you will need a service like exclusiveproxy.com that offers exclusive Proxy servers. Shared proxys you cant use because there allready blocked form the thousands of other users on them.

webdesign212, Sep 14, 2007 IP