1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to do well in Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by dsouza, Aug 1, 2008.

Yahoo is somewhat of a mystery to me. I figured all my hard work with google would naturally pay off in Yahoo. It seems not.

While Google are sending me about 8,000 visitors a day, Yahoo is more like 200.

I have focused on providing a good service which is naturally acquiring quality backlinks. My pages are well structured with all the relevant tags and well thought out titles etc.

With Google most of my pages rank in the top 3 for the optimized keywords. Yahoo I'm often nowhere to be seen, hidden among a ton of new and spammy sites.

Is there anything I can do to bump up my stats for Yahoo?

dsouza, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  2. gerdywerdy

gerdywerdy Member

Best Answers:
    i am having the same problem

google has indexed my page weeks ago but yahoo is nowhere to be seen yet

gerdywerdy, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  3. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't think you need to worry what you are experiencing seemed to be more or less proportional to the search engine market share of Google and Yahoo. I would guess, it would be better to keep concentrating on Google until Yahoo shows some promise.

wisdomtool, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  4. stevetalk

stevetalk Peon

Best Answers:
    yahoo prefer quality back links and try to make your title more than 65 character and you will get +ve response

cheers

stevetalk, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  5. SEOVICE

SEOVICE Peon

Best Answers:
    I have found the same thing with my websites. While I show up for keywords in google I seldom show up in yahoo or msn. So it seems better just to focus on Google and wait for the others to catch up.

SEOVICE, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  6. zee

zee Banned

Best Answers:
    Same here. Forget about Yahoo! :s

zee, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  7. www.rapidvectorseo.com

www.rapidvectorseo.com Peon

Best Answers:
    What i think each and every single visitor coming on my website through a business keyword search is important for me.
    But i found for getting better rank on yahoo, some time your ranking may affected on google.
    So follow proper optimization tatcis, if you get good results dan it's ok, and if not don't go in to d depth to achieve.

www.rapidvectorseo.com, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  8. Mustikos

Mustikos Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a customer, someone I have been working with since 1999. I wrote the software that creates our site in static .html pages as well, the rest of the site, and that which we use to add / edit items. The owner can add items to the site without me being here; I try to make my customers self-sufficient. We used to rank in the top 10 for 'antiques' in Yahoo as well as Google. Somewhere along the link, Yahoo seemed to blacklist us. We would even type our domain in Yahoo and they wouldn't list us. The name is back there, but not when you search for anything. I've spoken with people many, many times at Yahoo, last time about 2 weeks ago, and he gave me an address to email, but I get a reply and it says they cannot find the email address in their database and I should check my backyard email address, whatever that means.

Anyway, about Yahoo, I still have a customers / pages that come up number 1 for certain searches, which are pretty broad, so I know my 'page design forumula' works. At one point I thought Yahoo delisted us because some jerks steal items' images and information from our site and have been pasting them in every possible, free, online classifieds site. Actually when I spoke with this person at Yahoo last, he somewhat hinted at that, though he may have just been agreeing with me because I put that into his head. We're a small, 3 person company, the owners, husband and wife, and myself, the technician, and we cannot afford pay per click and it is sad how we're not in Yahoo anymore.

I would say, though, ultimately, that Yahoo is faltering. Their domains went from $9.95 / year renewal to $12.95 / year in March 2008 and then to $34.95 / year in July 2008. As well, their hosting packages, they've changed to bill 3 months in advance (for 1 I know of). They are trying to improve their bottom line and show profits so they don't lose their Google contract and they want to look better for possible purchase by Microsoft. As well, I registered a domain last July 17 and they charged me for renewal on July 1, 2008, which is over 2 weeks in advance. On top of that, a customer's hosting package with Yahoo, we were paying $19.95 per month on the 3rd of the month and this new package at $11.95 / mo. 3 months at a time looked good, so we upgraded. The sales person said they would pro-rate us, but they did not. They charged us $35 on July 21 (3 months X $11.95) and did not pro-rate us. Try calling their small business customer support and you will be on hold for an hour, it is ridiculous.

I'm not sure where Yahoo is going, but I wouldn't kill myself trying to optimize my site for Yahoo, as they could sell and their whole system could go to bad (worse). Who knows? I'd say, focus on other search engines / marketing aspects and wait to see what happens with Yapoo.

Mustikos, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  9. ZacMc

ZacMc Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm having the same problem with yahoo search results. I'm in the top ten for many keywords in google but nowhere to be seen in yahoo..

ZacMc, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  10. tomthornz

tomthornz Peon

Best Answers:
    I find Yahoo confusing (and MSN for that matter). I've had good rankings in Google for a while, and barely got any traffic from the other two. Then randomly they both jumped up and now I'm getting quite a bit of traffic from them. There wasn't anything major changed, just the usual work of adding content and hunting down links.

Tom.

tomthornz, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  11. MTBuckler

MTBuckler Peon

Best Answers:
    I just think that Yahoo's focus is entirely on Onpage optimisation. Google is the only SE which places a heavy emphasis on backlinks

MTBuckler, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  12. deccanbazaar.biz

deccanbazaar.biz Banned

Best Answers:
    wrong words here

you need to work haerd until you gain what you are after.

deccanbazaar.biz, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  13. Rik9000

Rik9000 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have seen that yahoo gives a lot of credit to blog post and blog comment links but never spam

Rik9000, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  14. my_misyel

my_misyel Banned

Best Answers:
    I was surprised that when I checked my keywords, It ranked well in Yahoo.

my_misyel, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  15. hss

hss Peon

Best Answers:
    In what time frame did you reach current result - 8000 visitors/day form Google? Is the number of indexed pages the same in both search engines, or different?

hss, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  16. yinka

yinka Member

Best Answers:
    I've been told to improve rankings with Yahoo, you should concentrate on on-page optimization, while Google puts more weight on off-page optimization (link building, social marketing, press release publishing, etc.) Yahoo differs and puts more weight on the on-page optimization (unique page titles, unique page description, page keyword density, internal link architecture, etc.). I hope this helps.

yinka, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  17. MRniceGuy007

MRniceGuy007 Peon

Best Answers:
    massive links to you is what yahoo is all about. if you use siteexplorer by Yahoo you will see that the top ranks site all have above 20,000 inbound links

MRniceGuy007, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  18. ameran

ameran Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo loves active links. You should use more and more your keywords with an active link.

ameran, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  19. S Copus

S Copus Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you need to cover everything to do well in both! Knowing this before writing a website will be handy so it can be optimized as much as possible for both to begin with. And then it seems SEO needs to be ongoing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

S Copus, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  20. feeblminds

feeblminds Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi All,

Yahoo seems like somewhat of a mystery to everyone.

Has anybody found any good resources?

Thanks

feeblminds, Aug 11, 2008 IP