1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to detect that someone has used Jquery to load a form on my end.

Discussion in 'Security' started by tommytx, Jul 22, 2021.

If a jquery or ajax loader loads undercover a file on my website.. how can i detect that..
    Since he will not be using a browser.. may be more tricky... But does anybody have any idea what i could use to detect that file load... Would be easy if he used a browser bu not sure when they load using jquery or ajax... I need to know the instant someone loads that file so that i can launch a browser and (no not shoot him down) but go to a new site and load a form...

I would normally capture the ip and all sorts of stuff if he comes to me with a browse.. but not sure what i need to watch for when he comes and gets my files under cover..
    What can i use to get his ip and etc or even just to know that somone loaded that file at that instant..

So bottom line some site fires off a jquery load or ajax load what can i monitor to detect it..

tommytx, Jul 22, 2021 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What mechanism are they using?

There was a great prank someone wrote years ago about any time an image was called, but not by his website, he returned a photo of a bbq grill. That used .htaccess. Theoretically, it could pass to a handler that records IP, datetime, referrer etc and THEN returns the requested image.

These days we have more modern tools with CORS.

But it all depends on how this person is scraping your site.

BTW Moving this to site and server administration because it seems to be a hosting security issue, not just jquery.

sarahk, Jul 22, 2021 IP
  3. tommytx

tommytx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really nothing to do with security as i just want to know what footprint is left on my site when my self or anyone else loads a file using jquery.

You see if anyone loads a file on my site its leaves a huge footprint normally .. like ip, user agent, referrer all sorts of stuff.. but no browser is visiting my site when being used with jquery loading a file so no browser activity is available... its simple to add an include in my file to log their ip ref, agent everything..when they come with a browser,

.. so all i am asking is what footprint is there at the file loading.. when its jquery and not a browser? Just not an area i am familiar with..

I suppose i could use htaccess as you suggested to look for that URL when it is requested and get the data at that point but that seems unnecessary to do that if there is a way to log that footprint at the file area.

Course every time you add a line to htaccess if I have 1 million pages and 2million images every page and every image has to read thru htaccess file to see if that page or that image needed to do any tricks at that point...

so i don't add a lot of htaccess lines that i don't have to.. So no one is scraping my site as matter of fact its htaccessed to allow deny no one but me.. while I study some ideas...

But thanks for the suggestion if no one comes up with a way to get the info of someone using jquery to load .. i will as you suggested trap that single url in htaccess... as we know no one or anything can get away with not going thru htaccess unless of course you are a hacker.. I am sure there is many ways around it..

tommytx, Jul 22, 2021 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You can track every single image/page using globals in .htaccess - you don't have to specifically state which one.

What are you seeing on your server logs? The visit must be recorded.

Is there are a reason you're specifically worried about jquery? or is it all async queries?
    doesn't jquery get run through a browser?
    what about curl?

sarahk, Jul 22, 2021 IP
  5. FrogeHost

FrogeHost Member

Best Answers:
    Check your access logs. Doesn't matter if the request was made using jquery or whatever else.

FrogeHost, Jul 23, 2021 IP