1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to detect errors in writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by nightcrawlers, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Leave me alone, or I'm tellin' mom!!

Perry Rose, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  2. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, I guess that keeping the attention of the reader has nothing to do with flow according to you. Maybe it does...not sure either....maybe I need a beer. I do agree that bad grammar can be a huge turn off when trying to read an article. Not going to argue that point. I was just thinking that the flow of an article has to take the the reader from one part to the next. If it does not, then the article is a failure. Which grammar does have a part in because if it is hard to read then the reader will stop. So, I guess you make a valid point.

gvannorman, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  3. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh knock it off. Your mama's in the shower. Now go get me a beer, boy!

atreides, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  4. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    Norman, I think we have finally found the fourth member of the Beverage Appreciation Society.

5. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey...everyone is welcome as long as they know how a good beverage tastes. I seen an job listing today for a wine tester. I like wine so I thought for a minute that this could be a great position for me. I could drink all day long.

gvannorman, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  6. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    steady man...you're slurring a little there...;)

7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Transitions and flow matter little if the reader doesn't stick around that far.

To the OP's original question...while it's a bit British rather than American English-oriented, the book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" could be helpful. It takes a somewhat humorous look at common grammar errors. The title stems from a piece about pandas which should have read something like "A panda eats shoots and leaves." but was published "A panda eats, shoots and leaves." Word or other grammar checkers would consider both correct. But, unless there are pistol packing pandas in someone's beer-induced hallucination, the second version is obviously incorrect.

YMC, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  8. nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok! Is there anything else rather just showing your bad behavior? Or are you just trying to increase your post count? You don't even sound funny! If you cannot suggest anything, please don't make fun of others. And regarding that I am making money or not you can probably assume that I am making money or not... Thanks to everyone!

nightcrawlers, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  9. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    See what you did Perry?

atreides, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  10. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Et tu, Perry?

parsibagan, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  11. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    lol yeah, I see, atreides.

If nightcrawlers DID take a class, I can see it now when the teacher corrects his mistakes: "Is there anything else rather just showing your bad behavior?"

Then the teacher looks at him with a look of: Huh? LMAO!

Oh well.

Perry Rose, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  12. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Omarbid, gave the the best practical advice.

Something that is sensible, must also be practical.

Other advice given here (most) was sensible. Some of it very much so.

For those of you suggesting proofreading rates. They, typically start at $50.00 an hour, and I doubt if too many here talking about them, use them themselves. (source = 3 of the professional writer groups I am a member of -- top rates $100 to $150 hour range).

Original poster, if you are slammed again, hit that triangle under the rude poster, and zap them for trying to ruin your original post.

The easiest way is one I am teaching a writer from the Ukraine. Do this. Simply find two well versed people you personally know, and have them review your writing. Let them make suggestions, and then work on correcting them. You are writing for people, just like them, not a software program.

If your reviewers give you a passing grade, so will the majority of your readers. Write-outside reviews-correct-new article, keep learning and having your personal reviewers, get tougher as you do.

----do not give up, and do not take abuse----------

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    dyadvisor, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  13. jonandra

jonandra Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use Microsoft Word to check the spelling. Word can detect miss spelling and give it red or green underscore. You can check the miss spelling words and right click it to get the correct spelling from Microsoft Word. It is simple right? :)

jonandra, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  14. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Word is way ahead of all the other word-processors. Do not get fooled by packages like Whitesmoke because they are useless. However, in order to gain the maximum out of `Word,' it is recommended that you set it up properly to trap all mistakes. Then again, if you do so, you will find mistakes in nearly every other line (generally readability, passive voiced phrases, incorrect query, and some more). Hope this helps :)

parsibagan, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  15. alourie

alourie Peon

Best Answers:
    What if you can't find such people? What if they suddenly don't "have time" or anything like that?

I really need such person :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    alourie, Sep 21, 2010 IP