1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to create user 4 public_html & prevent from accessing some folders?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Seleno, Nov 27, 2007.

Hello every one
    i want to update my forum,some one want to do this for me
    i told him i can give you full access in my forum folder,and he's asking me access permission for public_html

so if he want to upload new copy and VB and update it...
    do you think he need permission for public_html?
    i give him ftp access for the VB folder and he want access for public_html

so how can i limit the use of public_html for him?

Seleno, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    anyone having ftp access can do whatever hackers can do or would do
    however if you wish to outsource real work - you have no control of any kind over your server, very apparently you even lack most basic knowledge. hence you can give him all he needs or asks for, even your bank data
    unless you really care about your own site/server security and learn to do all important things all on your own.

do do ANY major update or upload of new software, files or forums you ALWAYS need access to public_html
    because that is where the forum will reside finally. wihtout full access to public_html there is absolutely no work possible at all and without full admin permissions on your server as well.

so either you FULLY trust him and give him ALL
    or you are scared for a reason and learn ALL on your own.

there is NO way inbetween the 2 a.m. options.
    if you trust him to do your site - then the trust needs to be free of any limits - hence you may also give him access data to your bank.
    if you trust him too little to give access to your bank - then he definitely also should get NO access to your server!
    he knows that you know nothing at all - thats why you outsource such basic webmaster work - hence he knows that he could do whatever he wanted you would never figure out how and why and who ...

trust is like a love relationship = ALL or nothing at all !!!

hans, Nov 27, 2007 IP