1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to copyright my articles ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by manish272, Jun 19, 2010.

I am from India and i want to copyright my all articles on my site. Please help me how can i do this. This is very important for me because i see that many peoples are copying my articles without my permission.

manish272, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  2. redhat01

redhat01 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can sent an e-mail to their hosting and telling them that :)
    They should resolve that problem..

redhat01, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  3. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    In order to do this, you have to send all the articles to a copyright office. And it can take up to if not more than 6 months before it is processed.

And even then that won't protect your articles.

And this forum is not about copyrights. It's about copywriting.

Post it here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    Perry Rose, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  4. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    most countries operate under the principle of automatic copyright. You write it, the copyright's yours. Filing 'notice', or sending yourself copies by registered mail etc *may* help you if you ever have to defend your rights in court. They may not though. I'm no lawyer, BTW, and you'd be wise to seek legal advice if you actually think your material has substantial copyrightable value (eg a film script, hot song lyrics etc)

contentboss, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When it comes to protecting your written work, copyright law will depend upon your country's laws. However, most webhosts seem quite receptive to a DMCA notice.

As others have said this area of the forum is for writing issues and there is a separate area for legal issues. That said, I've never understood why it's so staunchly advocated as a non-copywriters issue. It's like being on a forum for inventors and telling them "Oh, no, we don't talk about patents here."

manish, even with a government issued copyright, you still might find folks stealing your work. There are a number of threads here with great suggestions on protecting your work or at least making it harder to steal. I've been trying to put at least one mention of the site name in everything I write. It makes it much easier to prove to a webhost that the content is mine when it has my name in the middle of it. :D

YMC, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  6. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    It has to be registered if one wants to sue, and hope of any chance of winning.

And most countries DO work with one another.

Plus, the copyright sign does very little to deter, if it isn't backed by a written document.

Heh heh like so many others, apparently not.

Perry Rose, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  7. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The exact though crossed my mind. I guess he wished to discuss the topic in a forum area which has several writers hanging out and not somewhere people would say "Yes, we can say such and such but we are not sure how these rules would apply to articles' copyrights"

@Mystique : You are just proving yourself to be the joker of the forum over and over again. Sorry, but if you can make racial/regional comments I can call you a joker at least, right ? :D Though I prefer not to run anybody down but it's getting a bit too much with you lately.

WebBuddy, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  8. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Copyrights or not, your stuff will get ripped. Fact of life, one needs to deal with. You can make it more difficult to accomplish but stopping them dead in their tracks isn't an option, unfortunately.

The sad part is that those lazy SOBS don't have to steal at all with a wealth of content out there freely available, like on the ezine and article sites.

I guess to be a lazy thief you have to be stupid as well :D

Kraven2, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  9. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't have to 'file' your work anywhere. You just have to 'publish' it. If you can't prove you published it, you need to ask why, because publish means that it is publicly visible.

If you're interested, you can learn about it here:-

basic copyright law information

contentboss, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  10. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    The OP did not state the value of the articles. To PR and MYSTIQUE or is it Perry Jr.?, people from India have every right here. In fact I would trade 2 Indians for you 2, but no person wants to carry out the garbage.

ContentBoss and many others have given you the answer to this weekly question. If you want to get ranked by the search engines fill your site with content. It is the first site Google indexes that gets the bulk of the credit. The other sites will get little value and might get you business. If your articles are worth $10, $50, $200 each, the question you need to ask, what value are they to driving customers to your site. If you are not getting traffic then you have your answer. It is you, not them, with a problem.

Are you the next Shakespeare, Poe, or Warhol? Get some sleep, chill out, and do not use that as an excuse. I never knew articles in India were more valuable. They can be, so what is holding you back?
    Fear is one of the biggest creators of procrastination. Move on with your life. --------------------

dyadvisor, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  11. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is one site that you might like: http://www.chillibreeze.com/articles_various/epublishing/Copyright-in-India.asp
    Please note that I have not had any dealings with that site personally, nor do I know of anyone that has but it does answer some of your questions. I believe you should research and look for a site online that can help get your work copyrighted and that the site should be in India since the copyright issue varies in each country.

DreamingBig, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  12. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    dyadvisor...you dumbass lol show us where we stated that they were not invited here.

Try to stay coherent, shit for brains.

manish272, to make it simple, and the bottom line, you cannot stop anybody from taking your work.

If one wants to sue and stand a chance in winning, he or she has to register all articles beforehand with the copyright office in the event that it happens. Period.

Just contact whoever took your article(s) to let them know that they need to pay for it (or, maybe a backlink?).

If they don't, tell them that you will contact their host.

And, from your post, I can tell that you are not a very good writer, so you are worried about theft???

Talk to us when you become a very good writer, and big content sites want to carry your articles.

Perry Rose, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  13. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    rather obviously, evidence is definitely useful in court cases, as are good lawyers. As are all kinds of things. Which all cost money. The decision you have to make is "is my content valuable enough to add extra costly layers of protection to it 'just in case'". In most cases (eg a typical 400 word article), you'd probably be regarded as a (ahem) 'dumb@ss' or 'shi!forbrains' (ahem) to think the expense and time was justified.

Interestingly, there was a scheme mooted recently to provide a free service where you could upload your content, and it would generate a unique checksum based on the content itself. The checksum would serve as the 'proof of originality' for any specific piece of text. As I recall, it didn't happen because the sticking point was 'how does the storage company itself actually prove that it is being truthful (i.e. that its evidence is impartial and accurate). The second point of course, would be how do they make money.

contentboss, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  14. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear mr Rose,

Since you appear to be blind or dyslectic:
    The not invited part was a response to the general attitude the OP met from certain individuals, who responded. Then of course you confirmed it with
    In other words he is not allowed to come here until he proves himself to you?

Name calling is a definite sign, one cannot win a discussion on argument, and a sure sign of weakness

Bullshit, that depends on where the infringement happened. If it falls under US law it is protected by copyright by default. It may be hard to win such a case but it has been done successfully before. Also the OP is not asking if he can sue, he is asking how he can protect his stuff. Big difference.

We can tell the same from yours, your point being?

In other words, before putting others down, show some credibility of your writing skills and qualities first, and no 3k posts on DP do not count.

Kraven2, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  15. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ever heard of technical writing/papers/research papers? High quality English is secondary there as compared to the expertise of the writer. My husband, for instance cannot speak/write well in English but if he took to it, his expertise would fetch him thousands times more money than me. English skills are not the only thing that go into making a good article, a writer also needs knowledge and expertise to write well. But pick-it-from-here-and-there-and-recycle-it kinds you like won't know much about expertise so you won't worry much about copyrights.

Are we allowed to give rep points for such things ? :D I sure would have loved giving you one.

WebBuddy, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  16. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    I notice under his name it says 'Starcaller'.

Shouldn't that be 'Name Caller' :) :) :)

contentboss, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  17. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    But for that you have to be a paid member here. Perhaps after he sells some more Team Speak, he will be able to afford it.

Kraven2, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  18. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    I would be interested to know why this thread with all its garbage about where it belongs (Copyright or copywriting ) which apparently started in copywriting has been dumped here in the legal section?

lcwadminbj, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  19. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well how about the OP's question:
    Laws on copyrights and such?

Kraven2, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  20. Skuvnar

Skuvnar Peon

Best Answers:
    (Warning: I am not a lawyer)

not particularly sure for india, but I am in aus and the moment you create your original work, then copyright law applies - no need for registration or anything else, etc.

Skuvnar, Jun 24, 2010 IP