1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to copy rss news feed STORY and display on my site?

Discussion in 'C#' started by rideswitch, Dec 11, 2006.

Hi, I want to design a parody website that grabs current news stories, replaces certain words and displays the content on my site. I found code to display RSS headlines but not the story text.

Anyone have any ideas how to display the actual story content dynamically? Kind of like the translation websites do but I will do a search/replace.

All help is appreciated...

rideswitch, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  2. adolix

adolix Peon

Best Answers:
    this is kind of impossible, because the feeds to not contain the actual story, they contain only the beggining of it...

you will have to do an application that will open all the stories' links (which you take from the feed), eliminate the junk (the rest of the webpage), replace what you want, and then add to your site...

adolix, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    software like zFeeder allows to SSI remote feeds into your site while having the feed in your own cache.

how much text or title only is displayed ONLY depends on the original feed author and his SW used to create the feed.

to display a full text on your site surely is copyright infringement and may be an expensive hobby by far exceeding your funds no matter how many millions you have!

thinks about all twice before coying full text of any other full page. there may be other options for you to create content w/o copyright violations.

hans, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  4. rideswitch

rideswitch Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, that is certainly food for thought. Let me count my millions... ummmmm, 1... no Zero... yea that's right...

Any ideas how I could get content w/o copyright infringement? I see these news feeds from sites that want you to post their content on your site but I haven't found one that serves up more than a teaser paragraph...

I'm open to any suggestions. This idea is keeping me up at night laughing at the concept..

5. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    first of all
    if you take ANY PARTIAL content from any site for your personal commercial use - you really would need to STUDY and apply international copyright treaties/laws to know exactlyx how many % of content you may quote to be well within all legal limits

feeds always are partial content with the exception of the few mal-edited feeds that may show full content. the purpose of any feed is to invite for a click on the link to get a site-visitor

if certain precise feeds attract you
    you MAY get a written agreement with the legal owner of that feed for your precise usage IF there is a precise control over the feed by the legal owner and IF he can see precise results/examples
    IF there is a precise benefit for the legal owner of a feed - such as a precise backlink to the original article AND domain

this last option may work if you have a limited number of target sites as a source of your work
    OR
    if you have feeds that are of public domain property such as government feeds - gov sites / publications under certain rules in certain countries ARE sometimes used for your parody website.

parody websites - jokes on behalf of OTHERS - always are very much a questionable approach in life and always a life at the very edge of legal battles from any party involved. if you want to USE the life and product of OTHERS to earn your living instead of using your very own life - you will definitely have to live with a lifetiem threat of a major legal defeat costing you all you ever earn in your future plus all you have and beyond.

if you want to do something funny ..
    create from scratch all
    just look at the many globally successful artists who started a life time career with cute, funny pictures and texts .... such as "love is ..." series and many others such as the CN-series, etc.

you have an INFINITE quantity of legally unique and clean opportunities out of your very own
    vs
    copied and modified material from OTHERS

hans, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  6. rideswitch

rideswitch Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmmm, I see your point. I guess I'll be able to sleep tonight then... thanks for your input, I appreciate it.