1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Check When I Submitted To DMOZ & Which Category

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by picnicbasket, Mar 4, 2006.

Hello,
    Is there a method for finding out which directory category I submitted to? I'm pretty sure I submitted to the proper category (Shopping: General Merchandise:) but am not sure. I'd like to verify that I did it properly.
    Also, I submitted my site either late August or early Sept but I cannot remember when.

Is there somewhere that I can check on these? Once I find these is there somewhere I can check the backlog for my particular category? I'm a patient person and know I will need to be even more so but it would be nice to know a bit more about my status.

Thanks in advance,
    Picnic-Basket_com

picnicbasket, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  2. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Because of the way the internal DMOZ database is set up, it's technically impossible to answer that question unless an editor has actaully performed an activity.

It is possible to check a particular category (but only certain editors are able to do that) to see if a site had been submitted there, but that service is no longer provided.

However, when I look at your site, it's content reminds me of many very similar looking sites, and I suspect it's not listable.

macdesign, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  3. picnicbasket

picnicbasket Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info MAC.
    Not that I was asking for your opinion as to whether it was "listable" or not but perhaps you didn't take a good look at it. Not only did we hire professional writers to redo all of the manufacturer descriptions in sort of a short story format, we are the only site in my genre to have even re-written the descriptions. We also promote a very popular writing contest and have a large selection of recipes submitted by our visitors. Others have put much less effort into their sites and have been listed.

If I had to guess, I'd say you took one quick look at it. I can only hope that the reviewer for my category gives it more than a cursory glance as you must have.

picnicbasket, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Your are right, I took one quick look, and since I don't review sites in that area, it really does not matter what my opinion is, I won't be reviewing it.

However, at some point last year, I was looking at picnic basket sites (I forget exactly why) and found there is a profusion of them all selling essentially the same products from the same manufacturers. I also found that many of these site have multiple URLs and different company names, but in fact many of them are the same company.

I didn't look at your site closely, so I'm not saying you are one of these. But I randonly chose one product from your site, and was able to find the same product in many, many other places.

The good news is that your price seemed to be cheaper, though that does not influence an editors decision to accatp a site.

macdesign, Mar 4, 2006 IP