How to check my competition's SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by clash, Feb 5, 2010.

I wanna check how strong SEO is for the sites on the 1st googles page in one niche. I saw that they have not more than 500 backlinks. It is not hard to beat that.
    But what else is important? I saw that 3rd result has only 40 backlinks and maybe 6 pages of content. The domain is very good. But still how they can be 3rd place with 40 links.
    It's a good paying niche, so I need to see can I come to the 1st google page.
    So how to check this?
    I'm noob in this, so any advice is welcome.
    Thanks!
    Clash

clash, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  2. selectsplat

selectsplat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The number of backlinks doens't mean much. The QUALITY of backlinks means much much more. You need good on page optimization and one way backlinks on high quality, relevant pages with strong PR nd low outbound links.

selectsplat, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  3. clash

clash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of their links are PR 0, is that all I need to know?
    And how to do on page optimization good?

clash, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  4. selectsplat

Best Answers:
    What are their BEST backlinks PR? And on their BEST backlinks, how many outbound links on on those pages?

5. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    backlinks have nothing to do with SEO
    if you want to know what they are doing than view the source of the page.
    Look at their title tags, and their meta tags

Brandon Sheley, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  6. selectsplat

Best Answers:
    How in the world do you justify saying that backlinks have nothing to do with improving the volume or quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via search results?

7. bluecollar01

bluecollar01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm interested in hearing the "no-backlinks" theory - simply because it's a bold strategy that I've never heard uttered by any SEO. (only a slight hint of sarcasm)

bluecollar01, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  8. selectsplat

Best Answers:
    It's simply not true. On page optimization is very important. It should be the first thing you do, and it's the most important thing you can do.

But to say that adding quality backlinks is not a way to add volume or quality of traffic to your site is simply false. Building backlinks is the cornerstone of off-page optimization.

9. bluecollar01

bluecollar01 Peon

Best Answers:
    selectsplat,

i absolutely agree with you - i was just being sarcastic. i think it's funny.

bluecollar01, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  10. eposdirect

eposdirect Peon

Best Answers:
    most important your site strange in google... your website on site very power full then you get rank with out submission

eposdirect, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  11. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Not all links are created equal. 40 great back links can beat out 1000 BS back links. Use Yahoo Site Explorer to check your competitors back links and look more closely at the sites that are linking to them.

While you should look at on page factors (most important - by far - is the title tag) it's absurd to say that backlinks have nothing to do with SEO unless you are defining SEO in some completely different way than how most people define it. When people say "SEO" they are saying "how can I get my site to rank high in the search engines" and if you don't think backlinks are related to that then.... you are misinformed, to say the least.

---

On a related note: It's amazing to me how much misinformation fills DP. It'd be very easy for a beginner to get the wrong idea from reading many of the comments here. And I'm not even talking about the many barely coherent comments that are clearly just made to get more links for their sig links. Those you just have to ignore. I'm talking about the comments where it seems like the person is knows what they are talking about, but then they really do not at all.

Zibblu, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  12. clash

clash Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like it's gonna be easy to beat them in both number and quality of
    their backlinks.
    I looked at their page's source and I saw meta tags. That is not very hard to do also. After that, I change links on my site, name the pictures the right way,
    use my keywords in my articles...
    What else is there to look for? Is all this enough?
    Clash

clash, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  13. biznics

biznics Member

Best Answers:
    To check your competitor's SEO, simply check their on-page factors like, how their content is formatted, bold, underline, headings, keyword density in a page and in overall website and etc.

To check offpage factors:

Write: link:www.sitename.com in Yahoo!

Check their backlinks and submit your site to same sites but in relevant sites. Avoid link farms and link spamming by submitting too many links in unwanted sites.

Tip:
    I use to work as an SEO in a leading B2B portal and they use to say, that "learn from your competitor". It means, what ever they are doing, just follow them. And guess what, that leading B2B portal increased its GooglePR in December 2009 and its competitor is way far behind...

Good luck,

biznics, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  14. blogcompany

blogcompany Peon

Best Answers:
    I use some tools to find these competitions but at the same time it depends on PR of the backlinks to beat
    them.

blogcompany, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  15. Rav

Rav Peon

Best Answers:
    You should also remember that domain age is also comes into play and page load.

Rav, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  16. Caneman

Caneman Peon

Best Answers:
    another thing you can do is "view code" and you can find the keywords they used in the meta tags

Caneman, Feb 6, 2010 IP