How to charge for SEO services

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mpb, Aug 9, 2009.

I'm a web designer, and for the last year or so, I've offered SEO services to clients (basically as an -add-on), where I charge an up-front fee of 3-4 hours of time to setup the SEO stuff (new keyword-based mini-sites and keyword-links from my sites, along with on-page optimization) plus $50 per month to keep the keyword links up...

I've done this for 7-8 small businesses and have always gotten into the top 5 under local search keywords (often #1 or #2) in small to mid-size cities.

But I know a lot of other companies charge a lot more for this - wondering what's the best way to price and the best way to bring in new SEO customers?

-

mpb, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  2. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    generally its depend upon keyword competition and client business area, people generally charge monthly basis $200 to $300 for comp. seo package.

newlogo, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    eBiXie likes this.
  3. williamsweb

williamsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I want to know too..
    how to estimate fees according to keywords? OR competition ? or rankings? Or etc..

williamsweb, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  4. inggbt

inggbt Banned

Best Answers:
    Well OP, i am a SEO personal by profession. My rate is $1 monthly for 10000 compitition. which means, if keyword compitition is 700000 then i charge $70 per month. I only work for global search engines like google.com, never done for reginal one. also i never did work for lower compitition keyword, which is below 500000 compitition.

inggbt, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  5. turksweb

turksweb Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't understand this.

you charge for 700,000 competitions keyword $70 monthly. is that price for top 10 result? which means $70 to keep on top 10, correct?

what if you have got the job for putting the website on top 10, not keeping it on top 10? how much do you charge for that?

turksweb, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  6. seork

seork Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need to improve your English writing skills little bit more before you proceed to SEO projects.

As you can see there are lots of spelling mistakes in your post so better correct yourself and then start doing some SEO.

SEO fees depend on the skills of the SEO guy. Some person charges 200$ - 300$ Per month some cheaper freelancers charges less than this amount and some highly professional guys charges 500-700$ Per Month for this.

So the advice is first check the work quality and skills of the SEO guy and then go for it. As it can happen some times by going lower rate you may get low quality work and in future that will hurt website and ranking.

seork, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  7. inggbt

inggbt Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are right. That is my monthly price to take in top ten. If i have to say price for a whole website, first i need to know keywords.

Thanks for your suggestion. My job is to take website in google top position and i have an assistant to assist me in english.

inggbt, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  8. Vedic Warrior

Vedic Warrior Peon

Best Answers:
    ...Or... you could just browse through the SEO service offers threads here, and google for seo services and study their offers and make your offer even better.

Vedic Warrior, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  9. racheldcooley

racheldcooley Peon

Best Answers:
    It is totally depends on your efficiency. If you do it better than other then Charge more.

racheldcooley, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  10. cash

cash Peon

Best Answers:
    on target keyword research... check out the new google wonderwheel http://www.google.com/search?q=google&hl=en&output=search&tbs=ww:1&&tbo=1

such an excellent tool... then get into building linkwheels and backlinks on seperate class c ip's and original quality content. Then your golden!

cash, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  11. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't charge monthly - I charge by the hour. The only exception being when I'm selling a package, like keyword research reports for $100 or link building services for $2,500/month. Of course, I am moving into strategic SEO consulting and advanced link building so my rates will be a lot different than someone who's working with clients on retainer.

Look at the bottom of a typical search results page. You get the exact same thing. :D Also link wheels are nothing more than link laundering (the same way the Mafia launders money).

Dan Schulz, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  12. kristenbhingv

kristenbhingv Peon

Best Answers:
    I never thought that seo service can go that high..

kristenbhingv, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  13. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    High? I'm cheap by comparison given what I provide to my clients. Then again I've heard of people being charged $10,000 a month just to get "spam links" pointing back to their sites from blogs, forums, and social media sites... :(

Dan Schulz, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  14. turksweb

turksweb Peon

Best Answers:
    I have read many of your posts and understand that you have good knowledge on SEO.

please, can you answer my question?

how much do you charge for putting to top 10;

500 thousand

1 million

3 million

5 million

7 million

10 million

15 million

20 million

50 million

100 million

I am just wondering, how will be increased the price on competition.

thanks in advance. :)

note; that is not monthly price, just putting to top 10 and finish the project. if you would like share you another pricing than different this, it will be very nice too. I would love hear from experts like you, thanks!

turksweb, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  15. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't. What you're going by is just the number of pages indexed when a given search term is queried. The number of results shown is NOT an indicator of competitiveness -- only the number of optimized Web pages is. And you need to do some thorough competitive keyword research and analysis plus a competitive site analysis in order to determine which of those sites are optimized for a given keyword or search phrase.

Dan Schulz, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  16. HighRankingSEO

HighRankingSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    It ALL depends on difficulty...My MINIMUM contract is $1750.....

Now, with that said I have some smaller contracts I will write up for non competitive terms in the local search arena.

If you want to base your prices, do it hourly, then judge what it will take for a REAL hour of work...

for example:
    I charge 125/hr for consulting....

if I do the work....
    I charge 1750 for 10 hours work....which is 175/hr....10 hours/month is all it takes me to rank 75% of sites. With that said, I don't do those 10 hr contracts for people going after "cars"....and it will take much longer, months if not, years probably.....

HighRankingSEO, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  17. AutoTerminal

AutoTerminal Active Member

Best Answers:
    I charge $300 monthly including PPC already. This service include off page optimization, competitor analysis, blog integration and link building for 3 hours a day including sat and sun

AutoTerminal, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  18. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    So AutoTerminal, you're essentially working for $3.71 an hour? I'd say you really need to charge more. Seriously.

Dan Schulz, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  19. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh really... I found many are charging 1k/ keyword something good keyword....But this never find

rena, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  20. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Wait, $1,000 PER KEYWORD? That's asinine!

Dan Schulz, Aug 12, 2009 IP