1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to change my forum directory

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by bnts, Oct 30, 2006.

Hi I have a forum www.domain.com. and I want to shift the forum to forum.domain.com. Someone please tell me the step by step procedure to do that. I am really confused about the mysql thing...

Thanks.

bnts, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    sawz likes this.
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    1) setup a subdomain. you can likely do this through a control panel from your host. if you can't, contact them.

2) move all of the content from domain.com to the new subdomain.

3) change any links that were relative to the old url in your forum. for example, if images link to www.domain.com/images/x.jpg, you'll need to change that to forum.domain.com/images/x.jpg.

you don't need to change anything in mysql; you should still be able to access the mysql database. your mysql info is stored in a forum config file. it consists of the database name, the username, and the password.. all of those remain the same.

disgust, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    bnts likes this.
  3. bnts

bnts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this nice and explanatory reply. I got answer to almost all my quiries. Just one one confusion, the point no. 3..:( Since the installation of my forum I have never altered any setting in any directory. Do I still need to change some links as you have mentioned? Do I need to manually change each links?

Thanks again:)
    bnts

bnts, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    you'll be able to find out once you move it.

usually when setting up the forum initially you set up a "base url." this can be changed via the admin cp.

disgust, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  5. bnts

bnts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much, I will just have a try:)

Regards,
    bnts

bnts, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  6. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you may discover a path issue when moving your forum, some forum config files allow you to specify the paths to everything, you may want to look into that as well.

sawz, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    bnts likes this.
  7. bnts

bnts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks sawz for the input. I really needed some advice here....I will have a trial run and in case I have any problem, I will just post it here. I have made all possible backups now...

bnts, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  8. -Abhishek-

-Abhishek- Regaining my Momentum!

Best Answers:
    Hi Bnts,

Subdomains basically point to directories on your site! So for example I wanted a sub-domain! abhishek.domain.com, my control panel will give me an option to select the directory I want the subdomain to point too! So it maybe domain.com/abhishek !

Now when creating forums on a subdomain, what I have to do is first login to my forum admin panel on domain.com and in the forum path enter the subdomains name ... so say I entered abhishek.domain.com! Once that is done, I move all my files the directory domain.com/abhishek where i set the subdomain to point too!

Cheers, everything is moved! And all this takes less than 5 minutes :)

Abhishek

-Abhishek-, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  9. bnts

bnts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this very informative post:) I will just check if I have the forum path option in my admin cp...Actually I am running SMF in this particular forum...

bnts

bnts, Oct 30, 2006 IP