1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to change hosts without DNS Propagation Downtime?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by flamingo2009, Jun 21, 2018.

I am planning to shift our e-commerce store to a different hosting provider. What's the best way to change hosts without any DNS Propagation Downtime?
    SEMrush

flamingo2009, Jun 21, 2018 IP
    SEMrush
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Just keep the site live on the old provider until the domain name is fully propagated on the new provider. Once it is fully propagated (2-3 days) you can then cancel the old one.

qwikad.com, Jun 21, 2018 IP
  3. flamingo2009

flamingo2009 Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that would have been the most obvious thing but we cannot afford to keep the site on two different locations since we are an ecommerce store and receive orders every few minutes. We cannot have duplicate order numbers on both sites. We were wondering if we add the nameservers of the new site along with the existing nameserver records and delete the old records after 24 hrs by which time the DNS propagation would have happened. Will that work?

flamingo2009, Jun 22, 2018 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't know if there's an easy way to switch between two providers. I did it twice myself (both times databases, ongoing sales, etc. were involved). The first time I did it I contacted my hosting provider and they told me that keeping the site up on both providers was the only way I could do that. It was messy to be honest as I had to manually update the DB on my new provider from time to time (the site was switching back and forth between the providers for at least 48 hours). Maybe you will find a way to do it differently, please, feel free to share it here what worked for you.

qwikad.com, Jun 22, 2018 IP
  5. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    recommend using a third party provider like cloudflare as well prevents down time

dts-net, Jun 28, 2018 IP
  6. Ant-Lion

Ant-Lion Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the new host allows remote Database/MySQL access you may be able to adjust the database settings on the site with the old host to make it use the database on the new host. I don't know what Ecommerce software you are using so I am not sure how well it would work but it is an idea.

Ant-Lion, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:41 AM IP
    qwikad.com likes this.