1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build directories with low budget?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ceweqsakti, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Unnecessary post.

Spider-Man, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if I got the wrong Grant Glendenning I'll admit that it's a coincidence both work for the same Garden Centre, but who cares.

As for the stuff up there that is probably supposed to sound ominous, please note that the content also proves you've been less than candid earlier in this thread about your connections.

Then again you failed a challenge (with my login against yours) to prove you werent lying about me harrassing you in other threads... so everyone probably figured out the likelihood you'll tell the truth is minimal anyway.

I just sent you a PM. It is a sincere suggestion to separate yourself from these thugs who are rapidly making a bad name for themselves on the web. It isn't a good starting point for your career. Being associated with people of low character will drag you down with them. You're already adopting some traits that will hurt you in the long run. You truly need to take the advice.

robjones, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  3. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you should be banned no question for those comments alone never mind others

discover, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  4. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I've had words with Rob since then and he seems a good guy after all - just goes to show what happens when two simple people cross complex wires.

Spider-Man, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  5. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In which case spider, would you mind editing those earlier comments because if you dont I have a pretty good feeling the mods will ban you anyway.

Edit: And glad you two seemed to have sorted things out.

SilkySmooth, Jul 26, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  6. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    heres another reminder of the phplynx marketing machine in action:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=7395499&postcount=52

discover, Jul 26, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you guys are lucky this will be my last post on this topic. God bless the poor guys clicking this link and scratching their heads to figure out how this applies to operating a directory on a limited budget. :)

ONE MORE CALL: Type = non-threatening
    Got a phone call from Jamie Green assuring me he had nothing to do with last night's call, and had no idea who did, but that he would like to know. [You guys with private numbers have no idea how much excitement you miss.] The call didnt include animosity, though he did mention my "thug" comment seemed personal. I explained it was just a reaction to getting the late-night anonymous call. FWIW, he agreed that the call was out of line. It isn't polite to repeat contents of a call, so I'll post what it made me think about.

THE DMOZ EFFECT
    Sometimes efforts to promote or defend a product have the opposite effect. Dmoz for example is a product built by volunteers, given away free of charge, and sites are added without cost. [This isn't a dmoz thread, so if you disagree about that last part, work with me.] Still on many forums the very mention of Dmoz opens a flamefest.

To a great degree that reaction is the result of hordes of enthusiastic self-selected "spokesmen" visiting forums like this on Dmoz behalf, royally pissing people off in the process. I was there a long time, and was one of the guilty. I know in the beginning we thought we were heroes doing a volunteer service, but after enough conversations with pissed off / frustrated webmasters we developed a defensive bunker mentality. We did a good project a lot of damage in the process. Oops.

That said, I have no dog in the fight on the directory script subject, nor do I have any personal beef with anyone on either side. My objection was to tag teams in this forum who have operated in packs to attack other directories or hijack threads on behalf of phplynx. I can say from the dmoz experience that even when responding to unwarranted criticism the cure sometimes can do more harm than the disease. Things do get outta hand.

Designated Reps v Loose Cannons
    There is good reason for companies to have a designated person to speak on the company's behalf. If the spokesmen generates animosity, you replace him. If your non-designated people act like loose cannons, you rein them in. If enthusiastic users get wild, you distance yourself. If the owner generates animosity, the wise one backs up and delegates the function to someone who doesn't.

Hopefully needless to add... if your server houses an anonymous blog that's intentionally pissing off others in the industry, you pull the plug and remove any of the players if they are part of your operation.

I don't have enough knowledge of their operation to know where the PR breakdown lies, and that isn't important, it seems to be there and it is theirs to correct. Not to put words in anyones mouth, but my impression from the call is that it appears they would like to correct it. If so I wish them luck with it.

robjones, Jul 26, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.