1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build directories with low budget?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ceweqsakti, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

@ ED,

all we are saying is it's worth paying a professional to put a directory together.

The job will be custom built (not included with a $50 script) and it's just easier to let someone else deal with the design stuff. Spend is based on individual needs and how much success is wanted.

Other factors associated with website budgets are:

Website/Directory Capabilities
    Professionalism
    Amount of services offered
    Functionality
    Future needs

and with respect, it's really none of your business is it.

Event_King, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  2. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    If the title of this thread was "How do I launch a top quality directory and what should my budget be" I might agree more with you guys.

But seeing the thread was titled "How to build directories with low budget?" I have to call you out on irrelevant information.

The top statement has nothing to do with a low budget. I gave you kudos for the bottom statement. time > money for sure

Hmmmm, it's no more your business than mine seeing this is a public forum. I guess to be totally honest it's neither of our business. I was trying to help the OP by giving suggestions that pertained to his original question. I'm not really sure how suggesting that a > $1k budget is necessary was really helpful.

But in the spirit of helping I'd like to revise your list above (in order of most to least important)

Website/Directory Capabilities
    promotion
    Image (only important after established)

Amount of service & functionality falls under the category of "Capabilities" and is just fluff.

Professionalism? How do you budget that? How do you define that in reference to a directory? Wearing a suit and tie? Answering emails by calling everyone Sir? ... more fluff

future needs? Kind of intangible, no? How do you budget for that? Would learning to hack (my suggestion for starting on a budget) not take care of this need? ... more fluff

I realize you think I'm being hard on you, perhaps I am as we all know my head is in my rectum. I'm just not agreeing with anything you are saying and am struggling to find any reliance to the OP's question.

Yes, the truth hurts sometimes.

ErectADirectory, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  3. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Banned

Best Answers:
    What's the matter with that dude? We wanted server space, they provide a VPS account and pretty cheap as well. :) Surprising how many people who get banned for nothing will go out on a limb to help, and hey the dude is a Lawyer so will watch our asses for us at the same time. Pretty neat huh.

Rule out the paranoia though, I can say for certain that JamieG nor any of his supposed personalities are. The owner/s are closer to home than you dudes would like to believe, troll through the amount of banned people on here and after about 6 years you'll figure it out. ;)

Is there some kind of vendetta against this phplynx script and its people or what? It makes you think if someone ain't paying someone to ban everyone who dares mention the damned thing.

Just for you robjones we're actively looking for new servers as it aint fair that their gesture of goodwill was taken out of scope. Wow some people must be really worried about Digitalpointless, JamieG or phplynx to go for a reverse IP. I don't use phplynx btw, I use edirectory much better. ;)

On the same servers or on dedicated servers, we ain't going nowhere dudes get used to it.

SpiritWind, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont care about phplynx... I did the reverse IP because of the obvious tag-team act questioning any link between Cantufind and Jamie. That question is now at rest.

If the mods wanna buy your server tale it's ok w/ me. I enjoy a good sock-puppet show. ;)

robjones, Jul 23, 2008 IP
    SilkySmooth likes this.
  5. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Banned

Best Answers:
    Sure dude, ask me if I care about the paranoia here? What puzzles me dude is why a 'Real estate' agent is on a directory forum like this? Why the black guy avitar when you have a white face on your website? You one of those two faced dudes or you just playing the minority card like Obama so you don't get picked on? Get real dude, we have our own platform to take the p**s and we'll do just that if we want.

Forget about why the black face, reading your blog you seem a racist but that's just my read on things. I ain't having part of that dude, you carry on selling your houses and ranting your racist rants, I just struck you off my xmas card list.

6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ROFL. The "black guy" on my avatar IS the white guy on my blog... thanks to a lotta Welsh and a bit of Cherokee heritage I tan well on my annual canoe trip. As for the "racist rants" on my website, you're either on the wrong website or have a serious reading disability.

Funny, you wanted to talk about the Cantufind/Jamie connection just being paranoia, now you wanna change the subject. You guys were clearly blowing smoke... reverse IPs tend to help bring a little reality to the table. Anyway, maybe the mods will buy your convenient story. Sorry if I hit a sore spot.

Have a great day. ~ Rob ;)

silencer likes this.
  7. PatKing

PatKing Peon

Best Answers:
    very interesting indeed

PatKing, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  8. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Banned

Best Answers:
    No sore spot robjones real estate agent texas, reverse IP's, all you've done is establish 2 + 2 to allow people to make 5.

One you got me on is your suntan though dude, got me on that one, still an Obama fan though. :D

Reality? Reality is the IRS checks that are going on. Your safe though rob, you've not sold anything in a while. ;)

Have a nice day. :)

9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As you can see, some of us don't need to hide our identity. Wonder why you do? Being such an expert and all I'd think you'd be proud to identify yourself. :rolleyes:

10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe its time for DigitalPoint to return favor and automatically filter the word phplynx as well as its domain to something else, completely eliminating it from readers view.

So sad to see such childish and unprofessional ways coming from an owner and staff.

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids!

an0n, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  11. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The guy had a hard time keeping his story straight anyway.
    In this thread he claimed a personal relationship with 'em.
    In another where he and the same cohort were shilling for cantufind he claimed he had to WRITE them for info about their directory...

Now his sidekick has to find a new boss. Too bad, in all the threads they worked together they made a cute couple.

12. nstheory

nstheory Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm using phplb

my budget only $25.00

this is my direktori pelamin.net after using phplb.

what do you think?

nstheory, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  13. Fluxos

Fluxos Peon

Best Answers:
    so many people building directories these days

Fluxos, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  14. WebJunky

WebJunky Banned

Best Answers:
    You must be really frightened by phplynx an0n if you want this place to go to that lenght. I'll tell you and others WHY you and others attack that script, and lets get this out right from the start.

I HAVE NO ASSOCIATION WITH PHPLYNX.

The reason your pi$$ed at them, its because they have all the features that you and your fellow mod makers SELL only phplynx offer then for free or built into their software and most likely because some of the people who either worked for them or supported them dared stand up to you and call you out which you have yet to explain to this forum.

Me, I couldn't give a rats a$$ whether you pay Indians to make mods and give you install help files so it looks like you made them just so you could make a killing with phpld.

Me, I couldn't care less that you claim to own your own house when you don't, I don't care how many identities you have, it just isn't my business.

Me, I couldn't care less if you file genuine IRS returns or not, again that has nothing to do with me, that's between you and the tax office.

Me, I couldn't care less about anything other than my own a$$ pocket which I plan to fill as much as I can.

Way I see it Rob, I'll call you Rob because I bought from you and your paypal id is that its this bulls$$t bitch fighting (it takes two) that is constantly going on here. I doubt you or this forum will ever stop a software company like phplynx, your just not important enough.

Besides, and this is coming from a long established phpld fan that I am with no mind to change. phplynx does offer more features out of the box, so what, they do offer much better value for money, so what, it cost me $600 with you alone to do my mods (work it out) but I don't complain that I could have got that all for free with phplynx.

I hate this forum and what it stands for and worst of all I hate the fact that people like you are so far up your A$$ that you actually believe your somebody when all you are is a nobody just like me and a million others. If you were anyone you wouldn't be on here, you wouldn't be acting like a 10 year old, you would be shutting your mouth and getting on with the real task of making money.

Sorry Rob but it had to be said, thousands of people just like me have accounts here and sooner or later we're going to start standing up to you and others like you as nobody likes a bully and you sure as hell are a bully.

Now in my rant I've not once said anything that isn't true, I've not flamed you, and only replied to your post which by the way has hi-jacked this thread.

My advice to you is to stop making enemies, stop trying to suppress phplynx or any other script for that matter. I stopped using you for my mods because of your attitude nothing less, well maybe it was the US prices you charged me when I could have got them cheaper probably.

You don't own this place Rob, so stop trying to call the shots, sooner rather than later they are going to backfire on you.

Rant over from a one time an0n fan.

WebJunky, Jul 24, 2008 IP
    jitendraag likes this.
  15. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    100% guaranteed to win Most Honourable Post of 2008.

Spider-Man, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  16. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    So precise, with only one intention - to disrupt and annoy.

Doing a job correctly is never irrelevant, especially when time is involved, which is something you will find out.

Are we supposed to respect you now?

The amount of money is totally relevant, he cannot 'be something' without a large investment of both time and money. I mean that's what webmasters ultimately want right - web fame and to be worshipped, so let's not pretend it's not. :rolleyes:

But I don't need your help - I'm way above you.

If I followed your advice I'd never get another radio slot or press mention ever again. lol.

I don't think so, as my mention in the press this year says otherwise, which is something you will never have.

Professional means someone who's paid to do a job, and very good at it.Being good includes stuff like, providing functionality and systems for users and advertisers, and you budget by saving money. Being obtuse just makes you look silly, don't do it, especially since you don't know what your talking about.

Your knowledge coming from a directory less than 12 months old, and built around webmaster submit fees no doubt, and anybody can do that - it's not difficult or special so please - less of the 'Directory Guru' bit okay. Especially with me as you're not in my league.

Hacking - Serps right? Is that all you know, because if it is, you will fail badly.

Shame, because I could help you, not that I want to now, and I'm going to enjoy watching you fall.

Yes it does for some - but it won't hurt me, because I don't rely on webmaster secrets to be successful.

Event_King, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  17. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He could be Bill Gates for all you know! :p

As someone who is obviously proud of his press mention, why dont you show it to us? If you don't want to show it publicly, fine PM it to me.

SilkySmooth, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  18. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I'll tell you why - because it never has, and never will happen for EK. He's a top notch nobody.

Spider-Man, Jul 24, 2008 IP
    SilkySmooth likes this.
  19. Dovasary

Dovasary Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel the need to pipe in.

Design is VERY important in any design. When I go to a website and the design looks like shit, I'm immediately bored to hell and back with it. Boring design = lack of interest.

However, you DON'T need to spend $600-$900 on a design for a directory site unless you're looking at incoporating a bunch of fancy things on your front page. I've seen web designers on devart sell their really, really nice designs for $50-$100, so that would be a major place to start.

Dovasary, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  20. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Ya true Silky, but somehow I don't think he is Bill Gates :)

Event_King, Jul 24, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.