1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build a website that suits your needs.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by IQdesigns, Apr 24, 2015.

Hi guys,

A small tip to those who want to create a website.

I surf the web pretty much 24/7...maybe 15/7 [sleep,gym, work,repeat]
    and I can see so many websites out there that are not even close to how they should look like in order to meet their goals.

You don't have to be a genious to know that if you're building an insurance company, using a pink colors pallet combined with childish fonts - is probably not a good idea [true story].

I own ChicLOGOS [webdesigns service] and LinkSlice [seo service]- we provide professional websites designs and seo services, and been designing for a few years now,

and I wanted to give you guys some tips, questions to be exact, that you should ask yourselves before building your website -

1. What is your aim ? what is the goal of the website? are you selling a services/product? are you providing free information ? would you need a sales page maybe?

2. What platform will suit you the best? would it be wordpress/ other cams / html website?

3. Colors and design - who are your readers? are you starting a Justin Bieber fans website? [probably pink, and more fun cute kind of a design ] are you writing for a crowd of lawyers [dark colors, more professional look ]
    etc...

4. Content and copywriting - if you sell insurance, or any other service/product, you will need to make people BUY and engage them to ACT ! a text like " buy service " is not gonna make it. Read some more about copywriting - the art of moving people through words, and use titles like " Want to CRUSH your competitors? we provide POWERFUL SEO services ! "

hope that helped guys, feel free to contact me for any questions, or if you'd like to outsource your project - we can design a STUNNING website for you, and even seo optimize it ;)

Cheers,

IQdesigns, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well... having a page that doesn't look particularly good on a full-HD screen (ChicLOGOS) is probably not that smart. Running on Wordpress... well. Having several validation/code-errors on both sites? Not so good. Having conditional CSS-styles for different versions of IE? Seriously?
    Sorry, but while the tips you provide are valid, using a design-company that can't even get these things right seems a bit... silly to me.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  3. IQdesigns

IQdesigns Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi, I have my reasons for choosing wordpress, not gonna reveal them to you here...
    If you think you can help DP members and provide good tips go ahead and do that rather than criticizing my website based on the 0 knowledge you have regarding my business / personal goals :)

IQdesigns, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    The critique I worded goes to how you appear - looking at the other questions you've added to the forum, and the okay design, albeit a bit broken (as I mentioned), then you should just fix those errors, and move on. I don't care about you, or your personal goals - I do, however, care a bit about webdesign not working as it should.

COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  5. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't think of anything stupider than someone selling web dev services from a home page that does not validate; unless it is the stupidity of those errors being primarily minor structurally, but import as a part of comprehensive SEO, and the proponent is claiming: "we provide POWERFUL SEO services ! ".

Unfortunately Web development does not require a license or certification; so anyone can claim to be a web developer, SEO guru, or the master of all things in cyberspace.

COBOLdinosaur, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You do mean "unfortunately" don't you? There is one, and only one reason to have certification or licensing of a trade, and that is to eliminate competition from those not in the club. It is never done, in spite of arguments, to protect the public.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    A certification is not necessarily bad - take plumbers or electricians, for example. Would I go for someone who claim they have the know-how, instead of a certified company? No, I wouldn't - mainly because if I did, I would be the responsible party if something goes wrong - a fire, a leakage, or something else. If I hire a certified contractor, s/he is the responsible party - granted, I, as owner, would have some liability, but the main responsibility for rules being followed is with the contractor, with the certification - the one who should know better.
    It wouldn't hurt having some sort of certification for web-dev either, however I doubt it would help very much - first of all, we'd have to agree on standards - good luck with that. Second, you'd have to have some sort of independent consortium granting these certifications, and they would have to agree about stuff too. It's just too many opinions, too many standards, on the web today, to have anything like that. Unfortunately.

8. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    I would never use an unlicensed lawyer to manage the legal affairs of my business. I would never fly on an airline using unlicensed pilots. Should I hand over my tax management to an accountant who does not have any certification to demonstrate that they at least know the professional standards? So why should we continue to allow wannabes without any professional standing continue to destroy business and pollute the internet without objecting, calling them out, and challenging the crap they produce.

Of course it is not going to just happen because of all the competing standards, lack of interest in anything that does not directly threaten doom, and ignorance on the part of political leaders. Pther professions often had to struggle over long periods of time to get to a system of certification, so perhaps we will see it some time near the end of this century.

Yes it eliminates competition. The who point is to eliminate those who cannot demonstrate at minimum knowledge and competence. If that is really an issue then I invite you to visit a barber shop or factory to find a wannabe doctor if you ever need surgery.

COBOLdinosaur, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  9. serialentre

serialentre Member

Best Answers:
    Interestingly, your second website is a WP theme bought here - http://seowptheme.com/

I will never understand why Web Development companies would simply buy a theme instead of designing/developing from scratch.

serialentre, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  10. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    That us standard CYA in action. If you buy it from someone else then when it blows up you have someone to blame and you keep getting a paycheck.

COBOLdinosaur, Apr 27, 2015 IP