1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to avoid duplicate pages?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by casan, Aug 19, 2014.

Hi,

I wonder if someone knows how to get rid of duplicate pages on my outdated joomla website...

Joomla version is 1.5.26 (it is full demand season and can't update it now)

It is using sh404sef version 2.1.1.644

So I have a lot of duplicated pages like:

index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=139&id=55&lang=es&limit=10&view=category
    index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=139&id=55&lang=es&limit=5&view=category
    index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=139&id=55&lang=es&view=category
    etc..

they all go to one specific page but Google sees them as duplicated.

I think of inserting a canonical tag on the page I want to be the principal. Could it be the best option?

HOW DO I DO IT? It should be an automatic method since there are hundreds of pages.

THANKS!

casan, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  2. Claudia_A

Claudia_A Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think that if you upgrade your Joomla! to the 3.3.3 version you'd get rid of the duplicate pages.
    http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_I_upgrade_from_Joomla!_1.5_to_3.x%3F

Claudia_A, Sep 10, 2014 IP
  3. D-P-Group

D-P-Group Banned

Best Answers:
    Most online authors and publishers try very hard to avoid duplicate content when producing articles and posts that hopefully can convert to sales. A smaller group of authors however, live off the sweat of other people’s website content and it is no wonder many of them are referred to as ‘spammers’, ‘scrapers’ and other negative terms. In recent years, the number of such scrapers has risen, despite the extensive press outlining the dangers of duplicate content as it relates to Search Engine Optimization. It has therefore become difficult for honest website owners to not be penalized for duplicate content that they likely did not create.

D-P-Group, Sep 17, 2014 IP
  4. Meta_Matt

Meta_Matt Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm answering because I don't like any of the answers given yet.

I've faced this headache head-on in Joomla and sh404sef many times. The problem may be worse if you also include your "Print" page as well other "Layouts" views that you are not even seeing! I'd like to just say your screwed but that's not the case. There is hope. But It is an accepted fact that any one Joomla article will have many ways to reach it. Now if you noticed in your URLs the "Itemid=139" that is Menu Item, "id=55" that is the category ID.

Here's my recommendation for J1.5:

- In sh404SEF, search for the urls filtering for for id=139 to bring up the variations of the menu item. Delete out the extra ones with the extra layouts and views.

- Check the various menu items to see if you can find where item id 139 is - the itemid is the number in the right hand columun on the menus page. If you don't need a menu item when you find it, delete it, and then empty the menu trash to permanently. Yes, remove an menu items you don't need.

- It may be that you've linked to the Itemid=55 category from multiple places or menu items with different parameters of how many articles to show in a category layout. Edit the parameters to use the same parameters to stop this from continuing to happen for Category Layouts.

Keep in Mind that In J1.5 + sh404SEF this problem can be solved using Duplicate URLS feature in sh404SEF. You may need to upgrade your component to use this feature. Then identical links get grouped together - unless you specify they need to be separated.

Good luck. I'm a Joomla Expert and I love to Help Joomla People.

Meta_Matt, Sep 17, 2014 IP