1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to assign custom NS (nameservers) @ godaddy

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by asterix, Jun 7, 2006.

How to assign custom NS (nameservers) @ godaddy . like i have reseller hosting acc. i dont want them to know the ns of my host when i tell my clients to point teir domain, it will drive away my clients lol soon , so i want to use my own ns using one of my regiterd hosting domain. :confused: , asked godaddy they didnt come up with slution tht solved my problem

asterix, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  2. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    When you click on the domain you will see a 'account summary' I believe it's at the bottom of the right side panel

fsmedia, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  3. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    Go to Domain Names - click on the domain you are going to have the name servers. On the right, you will see Domain Host Summary - click the plus sign. Now click Click here to see details or to modify.

Enter the information as requested.

Corey Bryant, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  4. contactsonia

contactsonia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Creating/Registering NameServers [GoDaddy.com]

1. Point your web browser to http://www.godaddy.com/.

Logging into your account
    2. Log into your account by clicking on the "My Account" link located just below the menubar of the webpage. If you don't have an account yet, you will have to create one.
    3. Enter your login name or customer number in the entry box labelled "Login Name or Customer Number".
    4. Enter your password in the "Password" entry box located below the "Login Name" entry box.
    5. Click on the "LOGIN" button located below the "Password" entry box.

Choosing a domain
    6. Good! Now that you have logged into your account, select the "Manage Domains" menu item from the "Domain Names" drop down menu located on the left side of the webpage.
    7. Below the "Domains Names" menu, select the domain for which you will be creating nameservers. If you do not have any domains, you will have to register one. For example, awebsite.com.

Creating the first nameserver
    8. In the bottom right hand corner of the webpage (you may have to scroll down), expand the "Domain Host Summary" box by clicking on the "+" icon.
    9. Click on the "Click here to see details or to modify" link below to begin creating the your nameservers.
    10. On the right side of the webpage, enter the host name of your first name server in the entry box labelled "Host". The most common names are "ns1" or "dns1". For example, ns1.awebsite.com or dns1.awebsite.com.
    11. Just below, add the IP of the nameserver in the "IP Address" entry boxes. For example, 128.98.34.112.
    12. Now create the nameserver by clicking on "Add New Host".

Creating the second nameserver
    13. You will need to create at least 2 nameservers. To create a second nameserver, repeat steps 10 to 12. Common practice dictates that the second nameserver will be named "ns2" or "dns2". For example, ns2.awebsite.com or dns2.awebsite.com.
    14. By convention, the last part of the ip address of the second nameserver will be incremented by 1. For example, 128.98.34.113.
    15. At this point you could add additional nameservers but it is not required. To save your nameservers, click on "Save Changes".

Final thoughts
    16. Excellent! You have successfully created private nameservers at GoDaddy.com! Remember that your changes may take up to 72 hours to take effect (propagate).

contactsonia, Jun 7, 2006 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  5. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thank you contactsonia for detailed explanation.will try now.

asterix, Jun 8, 2006 IP
  6. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    IwhiC, Mar 15, 2008 IP
    fakestar likes this.