1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How specific is your NICHE?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Omar Doughan, May 25, 2018.

How specific is your niche and how much does it matter? For example, if you had a website that sells mugs, how specific would your product list be? Selling mugs is already niche specific, but I can see it getting deeper.

1. A general mug website that sells ceramic, glass and steal mugs with or without designs on them.

2. A ceramic mug website that only sells ceramic mugs with or without designs on them.

3. A ceramic mug website that only sells ceramic mugs with a specific set of designs, maybe only decals of mustaches. (Oh, They're out there)
    http://mustachemug.com/

In terms of profit, traffic, and growth, how do these issues effect a website? Obviously there are benefits to either; a general mug website would be able to sell a broader range of products, perhaps even more than just mugs, such as:

https://society6.com/mugs

Although with a very specific niche, such as a website that only sells ceramic mugs with designs of mustaches on them, their product list will be smaller, but they may corner the market for people that want... errr... mugs with mustaches on them.

I'd like to hear from you guys. What do you guys think about this? How specific should our niche be?

Omar Doughan, May 25, 2018 IP
  2. TheRevenant

TheRevenant Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Omar,

I think the first question is : where are you selling?

The other question would be asking where your traffic comes from. SEO? SEM? or Marketplace traffic?

I think that in case traffic comes from market place you don't need to be such product specific. On the opposite you must cover as much traffic as you can.

However, my situation is not very good to give advises to anyone. I am running my own shop and have very little success.

Best regards
    Ed

TheRevenant, Jun 3, 2018 IP
  3. Larry Thibodeaux

Larry Thibodeaux Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my experience the more targeted the easier. One of mines are women that are christian who live in alabama.
    Since its so targeted, the sales come easy because from the customers perspective, its the perfect product.

Larry Thibodeaux, Jun 26, 2018 IP
  4. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well the more specific its your niche the better as you focus more you deliver more value and people see you better as an authority My mistake its that i am not specific in my niche ,my niche its making money online and i cannot get specific as i like to tarket broad niche

Spartan14, Nov 13, 2018 IP
  5. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My niche is so specific that I have NO competition whatsoever on the web, and extremely little brick and mortar competition elsewhere, most likely well under a hundred competitors worldwide. In fact, some of my sales actually come from brick & mortar competitors that use my site to make their sales.

That scenario is not likely to change at any time in the foreseeable future simply because of the time and cost involved.

Does that matter? Yup. My niche has fed me for over 40 years, even long before I went online.

mmerlinn, Nov 13, 2018 IP
  6. PinterestUsers?

PinterestUsers? Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I truly believe if you do your research and use the proper content writing for each product description and optimize for SEO your niche can branch out a little bit. This won't effect much.

But staying on topic is really important.

PinterestUsers?, Nov 17, 2018 IP