1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How SOPA will affect internet businesses?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by soccerfriend, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    Here we go again... They would not have to report anything anywhere. The law gives them control over DNS in the USA. No complaints, no notification, no nothing... just off.

Did you really write that?
    For that matter, don't you think what people say to each other in casual conversation should be governed? People are pretty free with that too. In fact, following this logic, I wonder if there should be an amendment to the constitution stating that we have freedom of speech as long as we don't repeat what somebody else said unless we quote the original person and give proper attribution with citation as to where and when we heard it.
    Imagine the mayhem in just repeating a knock-knock joke.

You picked out Youtube, Facebook, and Wikipedia... now imagine that it was you with the power. Suddenly these services are gone for 312,877,471 people in the USA because you could poison the DNS... and that's your only sanctioned tool to use. There's absolutely nothing else at your disposal, just DNS control.

Laceygirl, I'm glad you posted your take on this because it's how so many people are thinking. The bill is not being presented as what it really is. They are trying to make it look like it's nothing more than a tool to fight piracy. But the definition of piracy is insane and their solution is the equivalent of putting a turnaket around your neck to stop the bleeding from a pimple on your nose.

There should be something in place that does fight piracy. I agree 100%. But SOPA/PIPA isn't it.

Chronus, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  2. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your are right, you know. I would make them clean up their site. Youtube, facebook, wikipedia, and probably craigslists as well would be at risk.

But since we mention this: youtube has billions of videos that are stolen, tons of videos were people are being humiliated without the video being properly copyrighted, wacks of violence, and even videos that teach you how to crack a program.
    But you tube doesn't think its worth the effort to crack down on this sort of thing because they are making tons of money.
    The other sites are all the same way. They are making huge amounts of profit but refuse to put a little effort into cleaning the place up.

Someone has to step in to make them, right?

This is SOPA.
    But I'm sorry to say SOPA will be corrupt people of the people who control it. The concept itself is good.

this Sopa is obviously going to pass and you probably will barely even know the difference. No one is going to get shut down. Instead websites are going to start being a little more stricter to what is on their website(which they should've been doing the whole time anyway).

Laceygirl, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  3. fancydressqueen

fancydressqueen Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like Anonymous has started to fight back (collectively) by taking down loads of major sites. I'm sure you can find the list of whos been hit by doing a Google search. The fight goes on.

fancydressqueen, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  4. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are funny, and you are thinking small., If this bill passes, then EVERYSITE has any type of content would be forced to close...
    small, big, large, it does not matter...YouTube, DP, Craigslist, Ebay, Your Favorite site listed here, because every big company will
    see any website for almost any reason...If this Act passes, then the content world will be over as you know it.

1: The government wants to do away with piracy.
    2: Big corporate business wants to do away with their competitors, ie: DP, CL, Ebay, your favorite selling site, etc...
    (competitors want you to buy directly from them, not 2nd or 3rd hand discount websites....)

What is this all about?

Money!

Does it matter if they screw the big or small website owner?

No it doesnt; They do not care!

Not only do they want to screw you over, but they want to remove your due process rights.

If this Piracy Act passes, you can certainly say goodbye to setting up any website, and you can bet most
    websites will start going down to avoid potential law suits, say goodbye to blogs, content based sites,
    and bigger sites like this one; If this act passes, they will do their best to bring all these sites down...

The Piracy Act is similar to Pork Barrel spending measure.

1: They go after piracy sites.
    2: Since we are going after pirate sites, lets just take it a bit further, lets go
    after any site that poses a risk to competitors also...We will just damn everyone while we are at it.....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    dscurlock, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  5. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    nothing more then an unorganized group of morons...

What-ever they do is nothing more then a temp unlasting measure.

They are just trying to get their 15min of fame....

Bottom line: They are criminals themselves....

dscurlock, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  6. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm in between whos side I'm on.

I would be delighted if youtube, wikipedia, and facebook get shut down because they deserve it so badly, but I have a feeling that its only going to be oron, rapidshare, isohunt, and places like that.

I don't think its fair to say that those three sites deserve to be left the way they are. Youtube is a cesspool of stolen content and people doing illegal stuff in videos. People getting beaten for views on a video........wow, something needs to be done.
    Wikipedia, the non-profit organization that sells external sources to major corporations for mass amounts of profit. Non-profit does not mean that they make no money. The owner has taken more of a fair share for a salary that it would put him to shame if people knew. Selling pages to corporations.......BAD.
    Facebook - there's no much to explain. Giving the freedom for people to control and organized criminal, hate, etc groups in facebook is not a good thing. Refusing to allow people to easily block their personal information, and even worse thing........

No kidding. what are they going to do? shut down a site for 30 minutes...they are just powerless to stopping it. The only company who has the power to stop them is google. Google can freely block all entertainment related corporations from google search then they would stop that sopa in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    Laceygirl, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  7. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    Google is just a search engine...do you really think it is their job to police the internet for illegal content?
    Google is not going to block anything unless they are given court order, why would they? Why do you think all of these
    illegal sites get indexed by google? Do you think it is google's job to police the internet? Its not googles job
    to take down illegal/warez/pirate related sites, unless they wish to do so.

Google is a search engine, not the internet police.

dscurlock, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  8. noeylani94

noeylani94 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    SOPA will be in the history books 10 years down the road. It's significant. Whether I agree with it or not really doesn't matter, I can't do much about it. I haven't read the bill myself and I'm not sure I have a full understanding of what it will do, however I understand why people would want to implement something like this.

noeylani94, Jan 29, 2012 IP
  9. house.com.sa

house.com.sa Member

Best Answers:
    I plan to transfer all my server outside the USA.

house.com.sa, Feb 5, 2012 IP