1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How should I set up my wordpress installation to this this?! AHHH

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by djkkenny, Jun 19, 2010.

Hi all

Right, I'm using wordpress to build a wiki type site for my school. However with a slight twist.

I basically want the following URL structure.

"Rules", "part 4" and "cafe" are all pages of content, then the "Videos" and "Pictures" are all rich media content pages, each with content sitting below that further.

mysite.com/rules
    mysite.com/rules/videos
    mysite.com/rules/pictures

mysite.com/rules/rule1
    mysite.com/rules/rule1/videos
    mysite.com/rules/rule1/pictures
    mysite.com/rules/rule1/part4
    mysite.com/rules/rule1/part4/videos/video-name

mysite.com/cafe
    mysite.com/cafe/videos
    mysite.com/cafe/videos/some-video-added
    mysite.com/cafe/pictures

mysite.com/cafe/food
    mysite.com/cafe/food/videos/video-name-here
    mysite.com/cafe/food/pictures/picture-1
    mysite.com/cafe/food/pictures/picture-2

Code (markup):
    And so on and so on...(could be thousands of terms) hope you get the picture I'm trying to paing now...

What is the best way to structure WP in able to do the above with minimal fuss. I tried the paged approach, but the list of pages could get massive with the repitition of videos and pictures.

I tried the categories approach - by having each term as a category along with a "Media Type" category consisting of "Video" and "Pictures" - but couldnt get the media type category name to append onto the URL.

I tried another method with categories - by having each media type as a category under the main term ("Rules", "Cafe") - but ran into the same problem as the first method, with the list just containing loads of repeating "Videos" and "Pictures" categories.

If that makes any sense to anyone out there, please help!

Thanks in advance!

djkkenny, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You don't need to be so detailed with your categories. Make use of tags and make the in bedded search function available to your readers. It works.
    You can also make use of plug ins such as "Related Posts" to display related articles underneath.

Use pages for content that will not change.

Personally, I would never create sub categories or pages this deep. You don't need to go as far as the 'video name' that's what your post title, permalink structure and tags are for.

I'd probably use the larger of the categories as the base and the subsections as sub categories instead of the way you are doing it.

In other words, I'd have "Videos" as a main category and use types of videos as sub categories. I wouldn't be as specific as "part 1" and "part 2"...that's too much navigation and will probably overwhelm your readers. Again, That's why you have a post title.

hmansfield, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  3. falguni1

falguni1 Peon

Best Answers:
    this url is possible in wordpress.

ask in the wordpress forums for quick reply.

falguni1, Jun 19, 2010 IP