1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How on earth do you get listed in dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by halfpint, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are right. Sorry, yeah, it's all about the editor. Forget about the end user, the submitter, or anyone but you :rolleyes:

Sorry I had the audacity to look at the bigger picture.

Though, as for spammy sites and deep links, those already don't seem to have problem getting in. Remember that the founder of DMOZ has over 10k deep links...what could a few more hurt?

Sorry, if you want to know why I think there may be corruption it's because of close minded people such as your self that would rather see the ODP destroyed as a whole then to find yourself even remotely admitting that a *shudder* webmaster could have something to share, or that, gods forbid, an ex-ed can actually still care.

Seriously, stop being so selfish. I'm not saying NOW NOW NOW, I'm just saying. Yeah, they need to fix a few things, but then, isn't public relations one of the biggest things broken at the moment?

Qryztufre, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry for believing that the most important thing was listing useful sites not having to spend good editing time on junk. If that's selfish, then I am.

I think PR for ODP is only bad in forums where people want to try and demolish ODP, ex-editors and web masters who cannot get their sites in. And whatever we do that will not improve.

Will webmasters not try and portray ODP as corrupt if we tell them their spam will not be listed? No they will continue to try and discredit ODP because their sites are not being listed and the only thing that will change that, god forbid, is to list the things.

Most of the time we will be vulnerable to innuendo and smoke and mirrors, we can combat some with posting the truth, but people will believe what they wish. But hey, we collect websites and organize them, I enjoy doing that, but there are a hell of a lot of people who want to tell me that I must give more of my spare time, spend time developing ways of telling web masters their sites are junk, combat innuendo and spin and be called a liar and a supporter of paedophilia. And when I object to people telling me how I should spend my spare time, I am told that I am selfish. Ah well can't have everything in life.

Anonymously, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I can't say for sure about people talking about the corruption, but heh, I can talk about those saying "DMOZ SUCKS". Let them know that there is nothing wrong with DMOZ and that they had a reason for not getting listed. Then let them say that reason publically, rather then "I submitted a site a year ago and it's not been listed yet"

As it stands now, all sites submitted are equal. None suck accept one, the cranky old dinosaur that is not willing to change or even compromise.

Like I said, the ODP has the common decency to let editors know why they were not accepted so that they can work on the issue and reapply. Submitted sites do not get that decency...because they are spam?

If they are spam, then by all that is holy and just don't add captcha to the submission process, get rid of the submission process. To add something like spam prevension says to me that it's more then just spam that is getting submitted. Sadly there are some editors that can not see that though...and I certainly hope you are not an editall or higher, because with a mindset like yours it's amazing there are ANY sites accepted, ever (not that you care what I think...though, heh, you certainly care enough to keep replying).

Qryztufre, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  4. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    I resent that remark! I happen to be an ex-editor who has no sites. I have never been about demolishing ODP, nor do I bash editors. ODP only has itself and RZ to blame for it's bad PR.

dogbows, Oct 3, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to stray off topic just long enough to lament the fact that on the net we all alternate between using "PR" to mean "Public Relations" and (Google) "Page Rank". Gotta wonder how the guys reading English as a second language manage given the way we throw landmines out there that require contextual interpretation.

OK, we now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion. :D

robjones, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  6. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought he was talking about Puerto Rico. :confused:

tbarr60, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  7. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks t! Best laugh I have had all day! So for those of you who misunderstood, the bad PR that both Anonymously and I were talking about was indeed Public Relations, NOT Page Rank.

dogbows, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  8. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to issue a PR to clarify. :D

tbarr60, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately for REAL VOLUNTEER editors, the only PR that Anonymously and most "senior" editors care about is Page Rank and not Public Relation. :)

gworld, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dammit, I'm busted. I'm secretly here because of an abiding desire to boost ODPs Page Rank. :D

robjones, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  11. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Drop the act, we all know about your wicked ways since that party on your yacht. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not ODPs Page Rank. Most "senior" editors don't give a damn about DMOZ and will go where they think it is most beneficial to their own business and Page Rank. DMOZ is just a tool to that end. :D

Don't you wonder how come lately Admins are so active in other places than ODP? :D

gworld, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  13. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see. I'm a "senior" editor, guess this post is building my pagerank. :rolleyes:

Now that the class knows why I'm here... do you have any function here besides repeating allegations in every thread?

robjones, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do I really need to explain everything for you? :rolleyes:

You have to be in different forums to "defend" DMOZ "good" name since DMOZ will help you in your business and Page Rank. Your page rank is not helped by posting here but it helps to market DMOZ which in turn helps you.
    Is this clear now? :D

I can ask you the same question, what is the purpose of you being here with exception of repeating the same nonsense that anyone can read in RZ? Also I only post here while you have so many other forums that you have to post the same nonsense, may be you can concentrate on your other jobs for awhile. :)

gworld, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  15. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Me? here to answer a few questions about dmoz, like helping the guy earlier that might have shot himself in the foot by trying to use scriptlance for a dmoz submission. As the questions are being asked here, here seems a good place to answer 'em. :)

Basically I'm trying to make a little headway at getting this forum to be a helpful resource instead of a just a flame zone, as are some of the others in here. They may not always agree with me, but I don't think everyone here is interested in keeping this place in constant turmoil either.

So now that we know my function, what value are you bringing to the table by adding allegations unrelated to the topic in virtually every thread you enter?

robjones, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Dogbows, are you trying to tell me that on DP, one of the forums where PR for ODP is low, there is no ODP bashers, ex-editors and webmasters who cannot get their sites listed? Do you want me to name them. But I did not say that every poster was such, but that those sort of posters were present. There is a powerful difference from the assumption you made from that I said.:D

Anonymously, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Read the title of this thread "how on earth do you get listed in DMOZ". What is your contribution to the subject, except the usual blah, blah which is equal to the other posters suggestion that to forget about it.

In DMOZ present state, it seems the only functional suggestion, will be to buy an already listed domain, buy it from scriptlance or pay a "senior" editor for his/her "SEO" work, do you have any other suggestion? :rolleyes:

gworld, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    The scriptlance is only circumstantial evidence of paid listings...as there is nothing that shows which site or which editors. As it stands two random blocks could pass themselves off as the buyer and seller to make it look like there was a deal made. Alternatively, if could be a set up by Editors as a means of entrapment for catching those wishing to get a paid listing.

Besides, of the number of sites listed, only a small portion would be paid...so again, the best way is simply to submit your site. But then, you like your "SEO work by senior editor" song better then the one I sing...

Qryztufre, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    As you well know as an editall with 9 other editor accounts, that is a sure fire way of NEVER being listed, because you will be red noted for ever if you attempt to bribe or bribe an editor. Are you the one we haven't caught yet, is this you touting for business?

Mind you with your track record of lies and innuendo who would believe anything you posted.

Anonymously, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure the user who asked this question, for ever will be thankful to you for suggesting that he should submit his site. :rolleyes:

It is always possible that he missed the link to submit URL when he visited DMOZ to submit his site, may be next time you can also add a link to the submit page to your post, so it will be extra extra useful. :rolleyes:

gworld, Oct 3, 2007 IP
    guerilla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.