1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How my site traffic went from 37 monthly visits to 14,657 monthly unique visits

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Game Producer, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for the support - success to you too!

Or alternatively: get somebody else (or users) to write content for you...

Game Producer, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  2. chriswick

chriswick Peon

Best Answers:
    nice I got 60,000 unique visitors with in the first 2 months of being online and I in no way paid for any of it!

chriswick, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  3. jessicalynn

jessicalynn Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent and very practical advice! Thanks for sharing

jessicalynn, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  4. jacobbannier

jacobbannier Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you articles are unique.. I suggest Digg them. If they are quality they will bring lots of visitors.
    Good luck :D

jacobbannier, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  5. Nerve

Nerve Peon

Best Answers:
    Great Article, thanks!

Nerve, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  6. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    Glad to hear you guys liked the article. blinkyblimy - it would be nice to know how you did that and what site you are talking about...

Well, I did a couple of months (or so) experiment with digg (basically I put a big Digg counter & button in the end of each article) and while it gave me some traffic I've always got more from stumbleupon and reddit. That's why I got rid of digg.

Thanks for the idea though.

I got this question via PM, but I thought to respond in public.

I'm on a dedicated server (costs around $200) but there's several other sites, not just the blog in the server - so it's not that straightforward.

If you aim for 1000 uniques, then simply check out how fast your website currently loads. If it seems a bit slow, then get a faster plan. The dedicated servers at Liquid Web start from $160+ per month (or something like that) so I wouldn't get it unless you'd have other sites on the server as well.

I would also skip VPN (we had bad experiences with them on PowerVPS), and instead I would gather a group of people (like 3-4 guys) and get them to split a dedicated server with you. That way each of you would pay about $50 but would get a really fast hosting.

Since upgrading host is easy, I wouldn't get it unless I'd see some slowdown.

Game Producer, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  7. problem-shared.com

problem-shared.com Guest

Best Answers:
    It has helped me with my site, since I have read this I have done a few of the above things and I am gettin alot more members now hittin 200 uniques a day. It isnt bad but I need more signups :(

Get around 1-5 a day, but need 5 everyday to keep the site alive.

The site is aimed at your people who need help, others help others

problem-shared.com, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  8. gringo

gringo Peon

Best Answers:
    nice one buddy

gringo, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  9. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well done man, iv done this sort of stuff many of times.

Jasonb, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  10. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    Great to hear that. There are plenty of good posts on these forums, perhaps search some of them and find a way to get 300 uniques per day? I also recommend checking out practical marketing category in my website. While it's targeted to game producers, there's still stuff that can be applied to Internet Marketing.

I also received some private questions, which I thought to answer here:
    I checked your website, and I see couple of problems. First of all:
    - there's no clue WHERE to buy. I don't see a button that says "buy" something. It's just images and google ads and texts. People will simply go away without seeing what you have to offer...
    - Check out some "sales pages" by pros on these boards. There's plenty of people who know how to create good "landing pages" that will help you to get sales.
    - One more thing: make certain that people can get the idea what your website is all about in 15 secs. Have a slogan that tells the main idea and put ABOUT page that explains who you are and what you do. That will help too.

Well... basically since you are selling stuff via ebay, you could find people who "sell stuff via ebay" and "tell how much money is earned by those who sell stuff via ebay"

Done. See especially the point #1.

Game Producer, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  11. Neale

Neale Peon

Best Answers:
    Great Article Thanks

Neale, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  12. Carlx

Carlx Active Member

Best Answers:
    nice guide, my first website is 50 days old.

So far i have had 665,000 page views and 120,000 unique visitors.

and is currently growing by between 30,000 and 55,000 page loads per day! (which is equal to between 5000 - 10000 uniques per day)

Content really is key to any websites growth!

Carlx, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  13. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats to all that are getting so many unique visitors. Keep up the good work and hope you reach your goals.

rmartish, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  14. mike2373

mike2373 Peon

Best Answers:
    Great article! I had a quick question for you. Did you do anything to show your content was original...like employing Creative Commons?

mike2373, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  15. bryandy

bryandy Peon

Best Answers:
    nice post, you deff made some reall good and direct points

bryandy, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  16. B-Scott

B-Scott Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the Info

B-Scott, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  17. ianternet

ianternet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    great post - this is the basis of how you can get visitors and increase traffic. great job!

ianternet, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  18. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys - an updated guide coming "soon"... won't know when for sure though.

Did I do anything to show? Well, I simply wrote original content. That shows. :) I publish stuff that comes (or goes through...) my head before I write it. I didn't say anywhere about "creative commons" or didn't mention that "my site is original"... I let the content speak for itself, and let the audience decide.

There might have been posts about news events (such as PlayStation 3 price cut), but even then I've tried to put my view on the issue - based on my experiences. I've also usually tried to add something useful in these articles. For example, from PS3 price cut one could use them as a lesson and think ask questions such: "how will your loyal customers - those who already purchased from you - feel about the price drop? How will you handle with them?" - I suppose most blogs reported about the PS3 price cut, I decided to report what I learned from their price cut.

Of course this is useful in blogs that can help people to learn something - in my case it's game business. Similar lesson would hardly be such useful for people who are looking to have fun or just spend time surfing. You gotta remember your audience.

Another pretty good example - I think - is a post where I wrote how 80 Percent of Companies Won’t Fail Within 5 Years. I simply challenged an "old wisdom" by saying that it's quite absurd statement if you think about it a bit - and forget thinking about the guy who is telling that.

bottom line: so in a nutshell, I let my content to show that it's unique - I don't need anything else to "prove" that's it's unique. In the end - it's the readers that decide and know what's unique and what is not.

Hopefully this answered to your question :D

Game Producer, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  19. surf4fun

surf4fun Peon

Best Answers:
    hi game producer
    have you provided a real traffic stats of your website or blog

like http://extremetracking.com/

how can we belive what you saying is true?
    14k Monthly visitors?
    where is the proof?

surf4fun, Aug 8, 2007 IP
  20. Game Producer

Best Answers:
    Heh, as far as I'm concerned - believe what you want :) I really don't care if people believe what I say is true or not. ;) I'm "cruising my own ship" here and sharing what I've learned. (Also: I have a bad memory, and I would make a terrible lier - that's another reason to believe what I say :rolleyes:)

But now as you asked... you can see some traffic stats here (pics from Analytics) - although they are bit old, today the number is about 35K unique visits monthly. Secondly you can check out blog topsites stats - they are 3rd party service and pretty accurate. Then you can also check out my alexa stat (which again is not the most reliable source, but should give you some kind of picture). Then my website is PR6... although that again tells nothing about the traffic but perhaps says something when you combine it with other data.

Hopefully this shed some light into this issue.

P.S. Oh, and updated guide is coming in the future... still don't know when but it's coming.

Game Producer, Aug 8, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.